Japanese maple help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blane McGlothlin

Reaction score
This tree has been in the ground for 3 years. The soil is red Virginia clay if that helps you all. What am I dealing with here?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 66
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 72
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 54
So that's that red thing in my yard. I'm right up the road from you, dude. Sorry I can't help with your question...

This tree has been in the ground for 3 years. The soil is red Virginia clay if that helps you all. What am I dealing with here?

Thanks in advance

It could be Roundup damage on young nursery stock.

It's history. I'd plant something else nearby to take it's place but not cut it down until it falls over.

Stupid question from a stupid person; even though it has new leaves, it can't be propped up and saved?

It is planted too deep. If you want to try to save it fix the planting depth first. Keep it watered late in the summer when things dry out. I don't think it is unreasonable to think that tree will be around for a while. If it was a large tree with that much of its circumference damaged, you'd have to start thinking about whether it will be structurall sound in a few years. That is not really a concern with this tree.

What is your recommendation for digging it up and replanting instructions? How far our should I dig? What soil should I place it in?

It is planted too deep. If you want to try to save it fix the planting depth first. Keep it watered late in the summer when things dry out. I don't think it is unreasonable to think that tree will be around for a while. If it was a large tree with that much of its circumference damaged, you'd have to start thinking about whether it will be structurall sound in a few years. That is not really a concern with this tree.

You don't need to transplant it, just remove soil so the root collar is at ground level. Haw far? However far the soil is mounted over it. It may only be an inch below the mulch or it may be 6" below grade. If it is that deep, it try to lift the whole root ball...not an easy task!

Like BC said, it is not going to hurt the foundation. Having said that, it is probably too close for the long-term, but transplanting is stressful, and I don't think that tree needs any more stress at this point.

Just for clarification, it's about 3' tall and and the trunk is about 2" in diameter, right? Tough to tell without something for comparison and people's perspective will change depending on size.

Latest posts

Back