Japanese Maple Wilting & Loosing Leaves

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grasnl

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
image.jpeg Can anyone advise me what might be going on with my Japanese maple? 75% of the leaves have dried up and are falling off. One of the main branches seems to be hanging in there, but doesn't look the greatest. The limbs that are loosing leaves still have green under the bark and the bed seems to be getting plenty of water. The tree was planted about 3 years ago and I've never had any problems before. I lost two large red oaks last summer to ambrosia beetles, but don't see any signs on the maple.

What herbicides are going into your landscape?

I use Weedman who applies the Bermuda lawn program. Typical pre and post emergents and fertilizers.

We also had two late freezes. I wonder if that was the culprit. I don't understand why a portion is still ok.

Use your hands and dig down under mulch.

Is the root ball wet or dry?

Another pic with the mulch pulled back and focusing on trunk and top of root ball.

Any late Frosts?

Lawn doesn't look right.

Use your hands and dig down under mulch.

Is the root ball wet or dry?

Another pic with the mulch pulled back and focusing on trunk and top of root ball.

Any late Frosts?

Lawn doesn't look right.

Yes on the late freeze (2 x). The lawn is Bermuda and is just coming out of dormancy. It is normal for the location and time of year.

I found signs of frass today. Seems the borers struck again.

Do I need to do anything to the soil once I remove the maple and prior to planting a new tree? I will likely go with another Japanese Maple or possibly a Crepe Myrtle.

Possibly to much mulch covering around the trunk as their root system is close to IMG_1124[1].JPG ground level. I don't mulch mine at all and have not had any problems in NW FL.

Back