Japanese Maples - Spring

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iowa

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
It's spring time here in the Ozarks and my Jap maples are looking nice. The purples, pinks, yellows, reds, and greens seem to be so vibrant. We did have a little scare with the cold weather. I went out for over 2 hrs and covered every maple I have. 2 yrs. ago I lost 98% of everything I had planted and they were just starting to look nice. Sooo. Here's some pics. If you have any questions on the cultivars, just ask. I have probably over 30 different ones.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Iowa, those are fantastic! Here if someone wants to try a Japanese maple, they have to take extreme measures throughout the winter. How cold does it get where you are? Do you have to protect them during dormancy? or just during the spring cold snaps?

Sylvia

Iowa, those are fantastic! Here if someone wants to try a Japanese maple, they have to take extreme measures throughout the winter. How cold does it get where you are? Do you have to protect them during dormancy? or just during the spring cold snaps?

Sylvia

We get neg 10-15 here in the winters. That's the coldest I've seen it. It doesn't last very long though. In the 5 yrs. I've lived here we had -10 for about 3 days for a low. I lose some during the winter and those are the ones I've had in pots. I don't think the cold kills them, it's me not keeping the soil wet. I forget to water them in the winter. I need to find places for the potted ones and get them in the ground.

Latest posts

Back