Japanese maples

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott tober

Reaction score
I am looking for a japanese maple that grows between 10 and 15 ft. for front porch shade. I live in NY state and live in zones 4 & 5. does anyone have any suggestions?

Youll have problems with A. palmatum in that zone. A. japonicum may be better. A. ginnala is even hardier. There are cvs of all that are shorter then the parent speicies.

Do you want a plant that gives full screening, or will it be pruned up? Could be a problem with small growing trees that are marginal in a zone. The twin stresses of heavy pruning and cold weather will increase the risk of failure.

I am about 15miles from the pennsylvania border. What types of natives might you suggest? I do not want any fruit trees and being from the maple country, i would like to stay with some sort of variety of maple that does not grow to 30 feet or more.

John already gave you suggestions for maples, how about a service-berry, probably known as shadblow in your neck of the woods, has cultivars that are small.

Latest posts

Back