Japanese Maples

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonsaitree

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am in Wisconsin, right on the shore of Lake Michigan. I bought 5 Japanese Maples about 5 years ago. Tried to grow them bigger and keep them alive through our winters, wanted to make a Bonsai Group out of them. I have one left, now I have a chance to get several Japanese Maple for free. I don't want to take them, if I will just kill them again. What is the secret to the Maples wintering over. They say we are now zone 5 along the lake shore, I wonder about that. Can anybody help me, I really want to have a japanese Maple bonsai tree.

I'm a zone five here and have many Jap Maples. The only problem I have with them is winter wind. Try to plant in protected area or use antidesicant.:jester:

Thanks for the info

Thank You, I am sure I will try again, but I do Question the fact that they have changed us to zone 5 after years as zone 4. Lake Michigan does change our weather, but we still get hard winters, worse yet, the last few we have had very little snow cover.

treeseer

The roots looked fine, I did manage to keep them alive for 3 years, but lost 4 last Spring, so far the last one looks OK this Spring. I tried protecting them with a cover and snow fence, and leaves. Any part of the Branch's that stuck out form the cover died back. When I lost the 4 of them, they looked like the buds were coming, but then it all stopped and they died. Thank You

Latest posts

Back