JB weld and gas

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are WAAAAYYYY overthinking this one. Just get a piece of tygon fuel line, and two Stihl grub srews. Drill the hole in the top of your tank several thousandths smaller than the line, and force it in there. wind the grub screws in, and your done. Total cost, less than $3. It will probably last 20 years that way.

I don't know what a grub screw is or where it goes,can you explain please?I tried the other vent tube off the 268 and it leaks out the top so I will have to mod it differently.Thanks.

You are WAAAAYYYY overthinking this one. Just get a piece of tygon fuel line, and two Stihl grub srews. Drill the hole in the top of your tank several thousandths smaller than the line, and force it in there. wind the grub screws in, and your done. Total cost, less than $3. It will probably last 20 years that way.

Yeah, that is how I would do it. Tower Hobbies is a good source for fuel line like that. If you are dead set on JB, check out the link at the bottom of my sig. Good luck!

I don't know what a grub screw is or where it goes,can you explain please?I tried the other vent tube off the 268 and it leaks out the top so I will have to mod it differently.Thanks.

Grub screws are just little threaded pieces of steel with a slot in one end for a screwdriver. Most of the older Stihl saws use one or two of them in a piece of fuel line for a tank vent. The idea is that air can escape through the fine threads, but not fuel. I think if you set an older stihl on its side, with the engine not running, eventually the fuel will leak out of the vent, but it will take quite a while. You could go to your Stihl dealer and tell them you need a tank vent assy of an 025,028,029,038,039 etc.... You get the Idea. I believe all of the MS style saws went to the "valve" style vent, with a longer hose, and an actual one-way valve.

I went to Stihl dealer and told the girl behind the counter I wanted grub screws for a tank vent and she looked at me kinda funny and said she would check in back and when she came back she handed me a 2" clear fuel line with 2 screws in it and asked if this was what I wanted,it looked good to me and said "vent tube" on the bag so I said yes and paid her.I have a question about how much of the vent tube(fuel line)goes into the tank and where do you locate the grub screws,are they inside the tank or out and how far apart do you put them?I got some fuel line too,it"s the yellow stuff with tygon stamped on it.Thanks.

Just drill the hole noticeably smaller than the fuel line, and force it in. It only needs to go in there about 3/8 of an inch. Just enough so it won't vibrate out. The grub screws go outside of the tank. Most of the Stihl models have some sort of provision so that the vent hose is not flopping around in there, so you may want to place it somewhere where it will be "contained" a bit. Alternately, you can just zip-tie it to another non-moving object in the airbox. Good luck. I feel certain that this will be better than trying to JB weld something in there. If it is not, you can probably just enlarge the hole, and go with your original plan.

ehh. Iv had it fail more than once with gas, but iv seen it hold up for a while in gas as well.
a lot has to do with surface prep and drying conditions
Matt

Back