JB WELD on a Cylinder repair

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeneralO

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I got a little greedy while porting the intake on a 460, and i made a small hole where the intake flange comes off of the jug. I put a dab on jb weld on both sides. JB Weld is supposedly good for 500 deg. I wish I were thinking clearly, and went to town and got some high-heat jb-weld, but what's done is done. Has anyone else had a similar experience? I can grind it all off if the consensus is that it is going to fail, but I'd like some input.

I watched some videos on You Tube where a guy built a cylinder head and piston for a Briggs mower engine out of JB Weld and it held for a while!

I'm curious... on the port "flange" (is that the word?)? Like, putting JB where nikisil or chrome wild be, and piston rings run across? Or elsewhere?
It's in the intake neck,very easy to grind through on those.
Jb weld is a hell of a product.
If you have a toaster oven handy you can cure it in 15 min at 300 degrees instead of waiting 24 hours.

It's in the intake neck,very easy to grind through on those.
Jb weld is a hell of a product.
If you have a toaster oven handy you can cure it in 15 min at 300 degrees instead of waiting 24 hours.
I put in on there yesterday afternoon right after I did it. It was hard as a rock tonite. Hopefully it stays that way...

I put in on there yesterday afternoon right after I did it. It was hard as a rock tonite. Hopefully it stays that way...
There's a lot of ported saws with the intake packed with jb weld and I've never had any come loose and I've never heard of anyone else having some come loose.

If it was prepped right it will never come off

Interesting... from Wikipedia:

• Araldite is used to join together the two sections of carbon composite which make up the monocoque of the Lamborghini Aventador.
  • The use of Araldite in architecture to bond thin joints of pre-cast concrete units was pioneered by Ove Arup in Coventry cathedraland the Sydney Opera House.[2] At Coventry cathedral, Araldite was used to bond its columns and fins, while at Sydney Opera House, Araldite was used to bond the rib sections of the shells, since a traditional concrete joint would have slowed construction, as it would need 24 hours to cure before stressing.[3]
  • Highmark Manufacturing uses Araldite in the manufacture of advanced ballistic protection body armour.[4]
  • Schlösser Metallbau, a manufacturer of metal parts for railway carriages, uses Araldite 2015 to bond aluminium profiles of cab doorframes on the BR 423 Siemens Bombardier tram.[5]
  • Fischer Composite Technology GmbH uses the Araldite RTM System to produce carbon composite side blades for the Audi R8.[6]
  • Araldite is commonly used as an embedding medium for electron microscopy.[7]
  • Some Flamenco guitarists (e.g. Paco Peña) use it to reinforce their fingernails.[8]
  • Brian May used it to seal the pickups in his homemade Red Special guitar to prevent microphonic feedback.[9]

Interesting... from Wikipedia:

• Araldite is used to join together the two sections of carbon composite which make up the monocoque of the Lamborghini Aventador.
  • The use of Araldite in architecture to bond thin joints of pre-cast concrete units was pioneered by Ove Arup in Coventry cathedraland the Sydney Opera House.[2] At Coventry cathedral, Araldite was used to bond its columns and fins, while at Sydney Opera House, Araldite was used to bond the rib sections of the shells, since a traditional concrete joint would have slowed construction, as it would need 24 hours to cure before stressing.[3]
  • Highmark Manufacturing uses Araldite in the manufacture of advanced ballistic protection body armour.[4]
  • Schlösser Metallbau, a manufacturer of metal parts for railway carriages, uses Araldite 2015 to bond aluminium profiles of cab doorframes on the BR 423 Siemens Bombardier tram.[5]
  • Fischer Composite Technology GmbH uses the Araldite RTM System to produce carbon composite side blades for the Audi R8.[6]
  • Araldite is commonly used as an embedding medium for electron microscopy.[7]
  • Some Flamenco guitarists (e.g. Paco Peña) use it to reinforce their fingernails.[8]
  • Brian May used it to seal the pickups in his homemade Red Special guitar to prevent microphonic feedback.[9]
Damn.... I guess it work in a saw engine, that stuff sounds like it would challenge duct tape for world dominance.

Russ

To be fair, some more googlage revealed that the company makes industrial formulations also, so the stuff holding together Lambos likely isn't the same stuff you'd find in a consumer package.

Devcon liquid aluminum is better quality stuff than JB Weld but the saw can`t tell it apart as I use either one I have handy, often a little of each as port shapes are always being reshaped.

Devcon liquid aluminum is better quality stuff than JB Weld but the saw can`t tell it apart as I use either one I have handy, often a little of each as port shapes are always being reshaped.
I would rather grind and finish jb weld so I stopped using devcon.

Back