John Deer saws, any good?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, I guess know one has tried one of these. Looks like they also go under the names Efco, Olympyk, Oleo-Mac, and Emak.

Have you considered looking at Dolmar, Echo, Husqvarna, Redmax, Shindawia or Stihl?

Of all the brands listed above, Stihl has an unsurpassed parts distribution network. I your local dealer is of any size he will have many parts instock. If they are not instock they can be had within a couple days.

The above statement does not make me the cheerleader for stihl. I am just stating a fact.

whoa whoa whoa.... now hold up now.... Deere's current saws are made by homelite I think. I know they used to be made by echo, and long ago by remington. I have never known John Deere to put their name on abject crap.

I will put money on John Deere's parts system being 100% better than Stihl's. Not only can you get Any part in the U.S. in 24 hours, you can buy parts for things like 50 year old two cylinder tractors and 150 year old grain drills. John Deere's parts system includes their own fleet of cargo aircraft, And they go world wide. Shipping tractors is't cheap... so they do it themselves. John Deere has factories in almost every industrialized country, so they HAVE to move parts efficeintly.

On this note, I have not tried the Deere saws, and don't know how well they perform

I have got 1 JD saw a 60V, the saw has a tag on the saw saying it was made by Kioritz. Some of the other JD's I have seen have been made by Echo, Homelite and now Poulan. The 60V is built like a tank and almost as heavy! It has so much compression that with out the decomp release, it almost feels like you would rip your arm out! I originally got it, it had an 18" bar, put a 24" on it and it did not have any problems deep into the cut. This is defintely not a limbing saw! Runs like a champ, takes a licking and keeps a running!

The new CS series saws by Deere are made by EMAK in Florence, Italy. They have an excellent power to weight ratio.
I have visited with several Deere dealers in the area and other than a few minor problems such as an oil leak or something that could happen to any saw they seem to be doing well. I have had 1 CS81(the largest saw Deere offers)
be a lemon. It was bought new and run by the owner with no problems, he sold it and the guy who bought it cannot keep a piston and cylinder from melting. It has no vaccuum leaks and runs great after rebuild then suddenly quits with a melted piston on exhaust side. Most of the saws in our area are smaller, CS62 or smaller. Deere saws were made by Homelite for a few years but are no longer. Deere sold there interests in Homelite. I have heard of no other problems like this CS81 is experiensing. Everybody i talk to seems real pleased with them. I run an old 50v John Deere that was built by Kioritz or Echo. As far as the Deere parts, if you have a John Deere dealer close they can get all parts for the CS series saw within 48 hours or usually less depending on your location. Now for the older saws made by Echo Deere is getting very limited on what they carry for them but Echo still carries about all of them.

I agree with heviarti, Deere has an excellent parts system. I have worked as a JD partsman before and they are about the best on there system. I know the original owner of the CS81
thought the CS81 vibrated slightly more than the MS360 he now owns. Otherwise he seemed pleased with the power of the saw.

wo mule.. deere put there name on homelite for a while..
but to the best of my knowledge their official line is what use to be called olympyk. ive seenum under the name efco ,oleomak an emak an now deere ,i believe..
still the same saws as far as i can tell.
in any case i run an 962 .. ive got stihl husk, an echo saws also.. this saw measured up well to all those..so id have to recommend them to anybody for pro type work..their made well. jmo

i quess i was wrong... I looked at the newer deere saws at the farm dealer, and they looked and were almost identical to the Poulan Pro 220 I have. :eek:

Deere saws are indeed made by EMAK in Italy. I have briefly run a CS-56, and it seemed to run well. I've looked at the saws, and they seem fairly well constructed, not much if any off from the offerings from Stihl, Husqvarna, Dolmar, etc. They do still have inboard drive sprockets, and a little outdated controls, but they do have a primer bulb. The CS-62 has impressive numbers, but can't say I've run one. I know the local Deere Dealer here had a demo unit, but would only lend it to people who were seriously considering buying it from them, not just to try to see what they're like. Check Chainsaws4u.com for excellent prices.

With regards to parts distribution. I never mentioned the name John Deere in my post. I have no clue about John Deere Chainsaws or John Deere parts distribution. I have no clue why the member Heviarti went off on how good John Deere's Parts network is....My post asked: "Have you considered looking at Dolmar, Echo, Husqvarna, Redmax, Shindawia or Stihl". I don't see John Deere in my list of saw manufactures to consider.....It closed with that of the saws listed, Dolmar, Echo, Husqvarna, Redmax, Shindawia or Stihl. That Stihl has the best parts network .

my famly has been involved with John Deere since about 1950. We also had a McCulloch dealership. I have had alot of experience with John Deere's parts system, and have founf it to be the best of just about any manufacturer of anything. I wish IBM had as good a parts system As Deere.

So, anything that might even hint that there may be a problem with parts availability from Deere needs to be met with a few facts. Seeing as this post is about the Deere Saws, and George's post didn't mention Deere I thought I had best clear it up.

Personally I wish Deere would offer a good, American made pro saw. I might even hand up my macs in favor of one. Something 90 or better CC of course...

You can read all about the current line of John Deere chainsaws here, at the manufacturers web site.  But the site designers are clueless, so make sure you've got your javascript enabled...

If John Deere saws are made by other manufactures, why not buy their saws? Why pay extra for the John Deere name if those saws cost more that the same ones made by these other companies?

Just MHO,
Joel

WCS99no1 said:
If John Deere saws are made by other manufactures, why not buy their saws? Why pay extra for the John Deere name if those saws cost more that the same ones made by these other companies?

Just MHO,
Joel

Local availability and parts purchasing. I once owned a John Deere/Echo. Dealer support is a non issue to me but 20 years ago buying off the internet wasn't an option. I lived in a place that had three sources for saws.-Sears (where I bought several Poulans masquerading as Craftsmans) John Deere (which had the Echo line) and a hardware store that stocked little crappy Homelites.

well poulan pro may be made in italy also .. but a whole slew ofum are made down in louisiana or alabama or something somewhere around there..

oldwild, Kioritz is Echo's parent company so there is no difference. Our local JD dealer does not seem interested in supporting the saws he sells and the sales people don't know much about them. Don't seem interested in learning either.
Homelite is mentioned as a manufacturer of JD saws. We cannot find a reliable parts source here in western Canada so won't touch them. Since JD bought them from Textron, we see their crap in the box stores but parts and service are non-existent.

I think it was a JD 40 that is the same as a kioritz 702EVL, Know what ya mean about the comp. release. Everytime I went to the JD dealer, had to order parts. Started going to the echo dealer to get parts in stock. I still use the 702. When it starts to whistle, The chips be flyin'. Better hang on

John Deere.. best known for tractors. All, except their very largest models are Japaneese Yanmars painted green.

Latest posts

Back