John Deere CS Series

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UrbanLogger

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
A Friend of mine, and I used to trim trees, remove trees, and do storm clean up when we were just out of high school, we have now decided to get back into this line of work on the side, however all of our saws are older units that we could afford when we were kids, and need some attention.

I've been looking around and found that John Deere has the CS line...I know they are made by EMAK (out of Italy i think) has anyone used one and are they good saws?

I was recently at the county fair and saw one of those "Lumber Jack" shows, One of the guys was using a JD CS62 with a 20" bar, after the show I asked him if he liked the saw and how he rated it? He responded telling me he thought it was second only to Stihl!

Just looking for more opinions before i buy

Thanks

Cs saws

If you are going to do that kind of work full time I would say spend the extra money and go with stihl or husky. Around here I have heard negative things from people who used John deere hand held equipment. Most say they don't have the same long life as such as stihl and Husky and the would not purchase again. That is just what their opinion though. I have not seen any logging crews around here with deere saws mostly all Stihl second Husky and some misc Echos.

That CS62 is about as good as it gets in the class and weight. They are well built, excellent saws. Emak has always made a tough saw, they just haven't had their marketing act together. In my opinion, the Emaks are built every bit as well as Husqvarnas and Stills.

Pat

pallis said:
That CS62 is about as good as it gets in the class and weight. They are well built, excellent saws. Emak has always made a tough saw, they just haven't had their marketing act together. In my opinion, the Emaks are built every bit as well as Husqvarnas and Stills.

Pat
IMO..too! Well said!

I really like my Olympyk 970 (71cc), an EMAK product. It's a few years old and is now marketed as an Efco 171. I have a 20" bar on mine. This morning I tried some round chisel (had been using semi chisel) on some mixed hardwood and I was very impressed!!! I would like to compare my saw to a 044/440(Stihl) with a similar b&c setup to see if I would really need to sell my 970 and get one (044/440). I got my 'like new' 970 for $175 a few month's ago, and today on the way home from cutting firewood I stopped at a Stihl dealer for some 2-cycle oil and the tag on a 440 on the shelf was $729.95 w/20" b&c. I would like a 440 to have another Stihl to go with my 260, but even a nice used one is out of financial reach at the moment - even with selling my 970 to put toward another bigger saw. I'm saying all this to give a thumbs up for EMAK saws.:)

Kevin

I stopped by a power equipment shop today (a little family run shop, where the owner sits in "his" chair smoking his pipe until a customer walks in, with a lawnmower junk yard out back) where their primary line of saws (string trimmers & back pack blowers too) is Redmax. I asked him for some info on his product line, then asked him about Deere saws, he said..."you mean Olympyk, or Efco, or who ever makes those things." then he proceded to tell me what a great product Olympyk was/is. I'd have to say I'm leaning toward a new Deere CS62, and maybe a CS81.

Latest posts

Back