john deere gator

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had one at the hog farm I worked at and it was great. Could fit all my tools and supplies in the back. Also had a small trailer that we could put behind it and it pulled it well. If I had the money I would get one.:msp_thumbsup:

looking at letting my boat go and buying a new gator this spring . I could use it a lot more than my boat. I cut wood for my parents. The timber I cut in is very thick and my truck and trailer does not go in very far. We sold of the house that was with it so I can not use the road that goes into the timber so I will be parking by the road . gator would save me a lot of time

Judging by the number of farmers that have them in my area they must be great for driving to the local restaurant for coffee. Don't know about hauling with them as I have never ever seen them haul anything.

Judging by the number of farmers that have them in my area they must be great for driving to the local restaurant for coffee. Don't know about hauling with them as I have never ever seen them haul anything.

Well young man, that's probably because your stihl in bed while we get the morning work done.

:msp_rolleyes:

Last edited:
Have a Cub Cadet Volunteer UTV. Has been very handy for gathering wood. Would suggest getting a rack for the front. When the beds full you can strap your saws on the front. Also if you want a windshield get a piece of lexan instead of the dealers windshield. Paid $50 bucks for my 1/4 inch thick piece vs $300 for the dealer one.

Well young man, that's probably because your stihl in bed while we get the morning work down!!

Well Mr Muff you must have different farmers in your area when you say "getting the morning work (down?) done". Unless there is a government program that pays you money to get up early to work it just aint happening in my neck of the woods. As for the gators they drive they are not about to haul anything in them as it may scratch the paint you know.

Dad was looking at them this summer. He has an Kubota RTV 900. He'd already looked at the new RTV's and got a price. I test drove the gator. Nice ride. Subaru engine. Ran the numbers, was going to purchase, and they wanted an extra $500 to deliver. Called Kubota dealer back. Delivered for free. And for an extra $500, we got a diesel, power steering, and were at the farm within hours of making the call. Brought the new one, hauled the old one off. The John Deere salesman even lived halfway between us and the dealership.

Iowa must be a lazy crowd, because around here Gators are the hardest worked piece of machinery on the farm.

Between hauling deer, wood, and gear our Gators are worth every penny. They are the only piece that runs everyday.

I've had my 825i for 18 mos. have not had any issues at all. I added the front rack to haul saws. I have four wheelers as well and have not ridden any of them since getting the Gator. I use it for everything.
The only weak point is the rear receiver hitch, it's situated too far under the bed and can be a real ##### to use. I added a 12" extension but the added length severely reduces the tongue weight capacity.
The Gator is a heavy duty machine. The only thing out there that is heavier duty is the Kubota but it can't go places the Gator can.

Looking at buying a 825I gator. For fire wood and rec. Do you guys find them really help full. Thank

Started some homework on the 825i..
Now you have me interested in the same ride..

Go on and getcha one of the new 850's! I was at the local Deere John/Stihl dealer getting a new chain and I had my 7 year old with me. She was browsing the obnoxiously overpriced toy section that happened to have one of the new 850 on display. I'm talking to the parts guy when I hear her say "Daddy, look how much this thing costs, it's $15,000!" I said "Yeah, tell your pop (my old man) that's what you want for Christmas."
Thing is, it was on sale @ $15K. Sticker was $17K. A man could buy a whole lot of stuff for that kind of coin.

I have used a few Gators on a racecourse (horses) and they are pretty handy for putting tools in the back. They can tow as well, we hooked a 12 foot trailer up to them and put maybe 1 1/2 tonne of soil on it, and they would pull it. What I dont like is the lack of gears, and they are quite soft, the ones we hired in always had something wrong with them or they broke down.

I would reccomend you get a Honda ATV instead, with a decent size trailer that the bike fits into. Then you can haul wood in the trailer, or if you want to use the bike away from your place you can use the same trailer to haul it.

The ATV will be faster - 55mph against 20mph for the Gator, last longer, haul more, get stuck less and be a lot more fun and use. We have a 420cc electric shift model (2012 model) and its awesome. Ours is 4wd, its a must have option.

....did I mention it was cheaper as well, even including a brand new trailer??? :)

I have used a few Gators on a racecourse (horses) and they are pretty handy for putting tools in the back. They can tow as well, we hooked a 12 foot trailer up to them and put maybe 1 1/2 tonne of soil on it, and they would pull it. What I dont like is the lack of gears, and they are quite soft, the ones we hired in always had something wrong with them or they broke down.

I would reccomend you get a Honda ATV instead, with a decent size trailer that the bike fits into. Then you can haul wood in the trailer, or if you want to use the bike away from your place you can use the same trailer to haul it.

The ATV will be faster - 55mph against 20mph for the Gator, last longer, haul more, get stuck less and be a lot more fun and use. We have a 420cc electric shift model (2012 model) and its awesome. Ours is 4wd, its a must have option.

....did I mention it was cheaper as well, even including a brand new trailer??? :)

The OP is looking at the 825i. It' a whole different animal than the Gator you are talking about. The 825i has a top speed of 43 mph.

Go on and getcha one of the new 850's! I was at the local Deere John/Stihl dealer getting a new chain and I had my 7 year old with me. She was browsing the obnoxiously overpriced toy section that happened to have one of the new 850 on display. I'm talking to the parts guy when I hear her say "Daddy, look how much this thing costs, it's $15,000!" I said "Yeah, tell your pop (my old man) that's what you want for Christmas."
Thing is, it was on sale @ $15K. Sticker was $17K. A man could buy a whole lot of stuff for that kind of coin.

Good tools aren't cheap. If you want a cheap SxS, go buy one of those Chinese POS,s. The 850i is a sport machine that is designed to compete with the Polaris Razor. The 825i is a heavy well built utility vehicle that is still fun to drive.

I work at a john deere dealer so I know what they cost. The new ones are coming out in march . I would also like to take it trail riding up in northern wisconsin. Thanks

Back