Johnsered 670 / HUSQVARNA 55 Ignition coil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

serpentine

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi folks.. my like new 670 started missing badly like it had water in gas... after great deal of troubleshooting, I narrowed problem to CDI coil acting up... I purchased a HUSQVARNA 55 coil on ebay as it had pretty much identical physical measurements to my 670 coil... it was used but looked new...after installing I ended up with still no spark... is it possible this coil is bad or perhaps not designed to work with my 670 despite being almost 100% identical? missing my 670 so much :( thanks for replies

Jerry

I haven't read it anywhere for sure but I didn't think the ignition parts from a 55 would interchange with the 266/268/272 or jonsy 630 670.

Was the coil you bought advertised to work or sold as untested? If it was sold un-tested as is it might not even be good.

Like Reto555 said,they look almost the same,but i dont think it will work.The tiiming is probably different.They have different part number.Did you disconnect your switch and check your spark lead condition.

If you have the single piece new style ignition and the saw is newer than 01-01-95 it has a lifetime warranty. If not, it's the module that goes in Husqvarna 61,268, and 272.

Poulanlite mix

Just to let you know. I needed a coil module for a poulan 2000(bought new in 94). Couldnt find one without paying half the price of the saw when new. But anyhow I was messing with a homelite super 240 and noticed that the coil modules looked similar. Different color, different part numbers, but same shape and length in contact area. Well it worked and has every since. You just never know what will work. you might have got a bad coil or isnt grounded. Check it out closer and look for spark with a tester.

Single piece coil

Hi and thanks for comments everyone... my 670 is a single piece coil... I completely removed ignition switch wire to ensure it wasn't grounding coil during tests... here's a link on ebay to coil I purchased: http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270023138800&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=017

...even if this coil didn't have proper timing, wouldn't it still produce spark as magnetic induction occurs when the flywheel passes by the coil during cranking...

again thanks everyone...

Oh I did contact Jonsered rep awhile back and was told coils occasionally quit and they are not sure why it occurs... and that was it pretty much...

670 been down since fall 2005 :(

I don't know how the placement of the magnets on a 55 flywheel compares to those on a 670 but if they were substantially different you wouldn't be getting any spark out of that coil.

If you want to get set up with the right ignition for that saw, one that I've tested and know works. Let me know.

It would be very easy to tell what you need with either a picture of your old coil or a picture of the flywheel side of your saw.

Coil Pickup Points

Hi ..the coil pickups are spaced exactly the same as the old one so it is fair to say the flywheel magnets would line up with coil at the same point as I have noticed... if I turn the flywheel by hand, the flywheel magnets create very strong attraction as they past the coil pickups... so I'm thinking this should trigger a spark... hummmm

Jer

Hioctane told you what to look for.

Retoc told you he could hook you up with the right part.

Whats your malfunction? Do you want help or people to cry with?

Fred

Discussion Forum

Hi... do I want help or to cry? u mean I can't have both?... FYI bud, I have sent a private message to Retoo for a possible coil purchase... as this is a discussion forum, I was simply attempting to lead a discussion on a coil issue that has been somewhat addressed... I'm sorry if my input has bewildered you as you can tell I haven't spent most of my life in the bush!

Jer

serpentine said:
I'm sorry if my input has bewildered you as you can tell I haven't spent most of my life in the bush!

Jer

Funny thing you'll find here. Alot of us are not backwoods types. You'll find everyone here.

Large concentration of CPAs for some reason. Who knows.

Here's the skinny. You either don't have the coil gaped correctly, you have a ground/no ground problem i.e. switch, a bad ebay coil, or the coil will not fire on your saw because of incompatability to the flywheel.

How many of these possibilities have been explored.

Fred

Followup--Ya it Works!!

Hi again... I want to thank everyone for their support to start with... I got back to my Jonsered 670 project and played around with it with the ebay Husqvarna 55 coil... I ended up ohming out a few plugs I had till I got one with very low resistance, used it and put Husq 55 coil in and set it as close to flywheel with out it rubbing...cranked it over and I discovered spark... reassembled unit and it fired up right away...worked it some and it ran like brand new... put the recommended plug in and it ran perfect as well (so as someone was saying, the spark may be somewhat invisible to naked eye)... so my thinking is that as long as the coil pickups are the same as your replacement coil pickups and the mounting holes line up, u should get spark; either that or I was very lucky...as I was thinking, it seems the timing is controlled by the flywheel... it's unfortunate that several people outside this forum doubted it would work.... well it does!... thanks again folks..

Jerry

:blob2:

Back