jonsered 2050

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palmrose2

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I really like my old plastic crank case 50cc saw. Light as a feather with plenty enough juice to make a 16" bar and .325 chain sing through hard Maple. I haven't used it in a couple of years because I couldn't get it to idle down. I have other saws I can use. Recently I decided to fix the problem. Start by cleaning carb again and inspection. No good. Noticed that the throttle butterfly was worn and figured that must be it. It took me about two hours to fashion a new butterfly that was perfectly round and tight in the bore. File a little notch to line up with the idle fuel orifice and install. Same symptoms. I then notice that the throttle isn't even touching the idle speed screw and discover that I can install throttle spring differently. I do this and saw idles down but isn't really right. Idle mixture screw out two plus turns and it still seems lean. WTF.
By now I've had this saw apart a dozen times.
It finally dawns on me that the carb doesn't bolt to the engine. It bolts to a plastic plate that acts as a cooling shroud. The plate is held to the saw at a right angle to the carb throat. I find out that the pulse line/hole has a little rubber fitting that just sticks into a hole as you slide this plate up to the engine. Kind of cone shaped. It is defective. Worn out. Keep in mind that there are no bolts that go into the engine as one might expect. The assembly/plate is just shoved against the cyl and screwed to the fuel tank. I cut a 1/4" piece of vacuum line the right size and stick it in the hole on the cylinder so the vacuum pulse nipple (for lack of a better term) presses against it. Assemble and fire it up.

The carb connects to the fuel tank. Whoda thunk it?

Sounds great and idles. Can't wait to try it out.

Some might cry "redneck repair" and bring up possible longevity issues. I say "right on"! Resourcefulness and making something work again! Not to mention breathing life into your own 2 year old thread for an update! Cool!

Duane

I had a 2050 for about a year. Nice saw that revved easy and cut well. I bought canned fuel for it and tuned it accordingly. The present owner thinks it is great for his occasional use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back