Jonsered 2150?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodsrover

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
A friend sent me a link to this board…Nice to find it!

I’m just a homeowner with a fair amount of property and cut 8-10 cord a year plus a bit of forest management. I even went to Paul Smiths College though I didn’t graduate.

Among other saws, I have a small Husky 041 and I’m in the market to replace. I was thinking about either a Husky 350 or a Stihl MS270 but then I started looking at the Jonsered 2150. I’ve always liked my Jonsered 525 and although the dealer is an hour drive I’m thinking I’ll buy this saw over the other two. Any reason not to? I know there are a few 2150 owners here and I’m looking for your comments about long-term use.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

P.S. I just bought a brand new Salsco 824 3-point hitch chipper and can’t say enough about it. A great machine and a real workhorse!

Welcome to arboristsite! Hope you enjoy your stay and, of course, that you stay a while!

The Jonsered 2150 is the same saw as the Husqvarna 350, just in a different color and with the proprietary Jonsered handlebar angle. All the praise for the 350 would apply with equal force to the 2150. It is a good, solid saw despite having a plastic chassis. A number of members here have been very pleased with theirs (most often in orange) and have cut dozens, if not hundreds, or cords of firewood with it without so much as a hiccup.

You might also want to consider the 2152/Husqvarna 353, as they add the benefits of a magnesium crankcase and a decompression button for only a few more dollars. And they also retain the 2150's nice sub-11lb weight. The choice is yours; the 2150/350 and 2152/353 are both very, very good saws within their price/size/power class. Don't waste your time on the Stihl 270. It costs more, weighs more, and doesn't do more.

In this case I would not worry about the lack of a local Jonsered dealer, since you can get your parts from the nearby Husqvarna dealer.

Welcome to AS Woodsrover!:cheers:

I mostly agree with computer again, but the 353/2152 does weight a bit more than 11 lbs - not that it matters much.

They also have the advantage of a quick release air filter- and top cover.

Personally I don't like the streight across handlebars of the Jreds, but they sure look nice.......:)

SawTroll said:
Welcome to AS Woodsrover!:cheers:

I mostly agree with computer again, but the 353/2152 does weight a bit more than 11 lbs - not that it matters much.

They also have the advantage of a quick release air filter- and top cover.

Personally I don't like the streight across handlebars of the Jreds, but they sure look nice.......:)

5,1kg for 353g with bar and empty... but it feels alot lighter, heck, 242xpg feels alot heavier than 353...

blis said:
5,1kg for 353g with bar and empty... but it feels alot lighter, heck, 242xpg feels alot heavier than 353...
Hmmmm - pretty odd, the 242 should be 2/3 pound (.3 kg) lighter, according to all other info I have......:confused:

Thanks for all the advice.

There’s no reason for me to go with the Jonsered over the Husky other than the coolness factor and the fact that I’ve already got one. Lots of Huskys around, not too many Jonsereds.

This will be the saw I use 95% of the time and will only sport a 16” bar so the 2150 is probably plenty strong enough, though I might just spring for the 2152 as those other features are pretty nice.

If the weather is crummy Saturday I’ll go and pick one up.

Thanks again.

Jim

SawTroll said:
Hmmmm - pretty odd, the 242 should be 2/3 pound (.3 kg) lighter, according to all other info I have......:confused:

are you sure? havent weighted the 242 but i can feel the difference easily, its alot heavier to carry and such...

Woodsrover said:
Thanks for all the advice.

There’s no reason for me to go with the Jonsered over the Husky other than the coolness factor and the fact that I’ve already got one. Lots of Huskys around, not too many Jonsereds.

This will be the saw I use 95% of the time and will only sport a 16” bar so the 2150 is probably plenty strong enough, though I might just spring for the 2152 as those other features are pretty nice.

If the weather is crummy Saturday I’ll go and pick one up.

Thanks again.

Jim

Welcome to the site Jim.

One reason to pick the 2150 over the Husky is that this time of year Jonsered has a deal where you get a case for the saw, (along with a nice Jonsered hat and a bottle of mix), for free, or maybe $10 depending on how your particular dealer bought in on the program.

The 2152/353 is a somewhat nicer saw, as computeruser and sawtroll have pointed out. BUT.........both of them can only be had in the E-tech version with the cat muffler, and for that reason alone, I would stick with the 2150. We sell loads of both them and the 350 Husky and they are close to problem free. Many cords of wood; many happy owners.

Thanks for the reply and the good point, Spike. Like my 1977 Vermont Castings stove, I like my saws without a catalytic converter. The simpler the better.

jim

spike60 said:
Welcome to the site Jim.

One reason to pick the 2150 over the Husky is that this time of year Jonsered has a deal where you get a case for the saw, (along with a nice Jonsered hat and a bottle of mix), for free, or maybe $10 depending on how your particular dealer bought in on the program.

The 2152/353 is a somewhat nicer saw, as computeruser and sawtroll have pointed out. BUT.........both of them can only be had in the E-tech version with the cat muffler, and for that reason alone, I would stick with the 2150. We sell loads of both them and the 350 Husky and they are close to problem free. Many cords of wood; many happy owners.

You cant get 353 nomal model (without cat) over there??

spike60 said:
So would probably I, if it wasn't a quick fix available for the cat-muffler issue.

How about changing the muffler out for a European, non-cat one????

Yeah, but it's another $40 that you have to add to the cost of the saw. So, now the total price difference would be greater than $100. And performance wise, the saws are pretty much the same.

Back