Jonsered 2152 bar oiler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New England Jim

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi Guys, this is my first post on the board. Iv'e been lurking for a while and thought it was about time I joined.
I bought a Jonsered 2152 last christmas when they ran the bag it tag it promotion. The first saw I got had a bad oil pump and the dealer replaced it with a new saw the very next day. I notice the new saw doesn't seem to oil the bar nearly as good as my older saws. Another friend of mine bought a Husky 353 this summer which is basicly the same saw, and that saw didn't seem to throw alot of oil either. I asked a dealer about this and he said that alot of the saws don't throw as much oil as they used to because of new epa standards. I was wondering if that is true or was he just handing me a line of B/S.
The saw is doing ok for the most part but when I get into the big stuff she gets a little dry at times.

Yes, the new saws do put out less oil than the older saws use to, but in most cases it is sufficient. Have you adjusted the oiler on your saw at all? If it isn't already wide open, you should be able to open the adjustment and give it more oil to the bar.

How much of a tank of oil do you use compared to a tank of gas? If they seem out of balance as far as usage maybe you can thin the oil with some winter weight oil to make it flow better. Try mixing 1/3 winter to 2/3 summer or maybe even half and half. Also set your oil jug in the sun whenever possible. The bar maybe getting more oil than you think or actually get enough for what it needs. The most important thing is that you don't run out of oil.
This may sound simple but how often do you remove the bar to clean it out?

Good luck

Lucky

I figure I have a 1/3 to a 1/4 tank of bar oil left at gas fill up time. I am running an 18" bar with the oiler set at max. I was running hardware store bar oil but I just bought all season Jonsered oil. I'll pick up some winter oil when I get a chance. I am also going to start running a 16 " bar on it most of the time. I am cutting cord wood and most of the stuff I drop can be done with a 16" bar. I figure I'll get a 325 pitch full chisel chain . I cut mostly red and white oak with some other hardwoods mixed in from time to time. I guess it's what you would call your typical NewEngland woodlot.

The Husky oiler adjustment isn't as obvious as one might think. Their labeling is 90 degrees off from the screw location so it isn't clear at first which way to turn it for maximum oiling. Turning the adjustment screw to 10 o'clock is the maximum (as far counterclockwise as it will go). 12 o'clock is the middle setting and 2 o'clock is the lowest setting. Having used Stihls for 15 years I got used to their setup which is exactly opposite.

To really confuse you, my 372's are set much differently. You bottom the set screw and back it out 4 turns for maximum oiling. Since I bought them used and never saw an owner's manual, I never would have known if someone online hadn't told me. I burned up one or two bars on those saws due to lack of oiling.

Latest posts

Back