Jonsered 2153/346xp cutting out

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rusty1778

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a 2153 that has a strange issue. Idles and starts fine, revs fine but cuts out before getting to full rpm. Almost like a rev limiter but much too low. Checked the basics, spark plug, air filter, all that. Any ideas?

Check fuel filter, fuel line and fuel pump circuit in the carburetor. Also, the tiny inlet screen in carb may be plugging up. Filter may be plugged, fuel line may have pin holes or cracks sucking air and fuel pump gaskets along with the metering diaphragm may be getting weak/stiff.

Worst case scenario, the impulse tube and or holes in the intake boot may be collapsed or melted shut.

1673829567616.png

Attachments

• melted impulse.jpg
    melted impulse.jpg
    398.3 KB · Views: 0
Check fuel filter, fuel line and fuel pump circuit in the carburetor. Also, the tiny inlet screen in carb may be plugging up. Filter may be plugged, fuel line may have pin holes or cracks sucking air and fuel pump gaskets along with the metering diaphragm may be getting weak/stiff.

Worst case scenario, the impulse tube and or holes in the intake boot may be collapsed or melted shut.

View attachment 1048974
I finally got around to working on this saw I posted about from a few months ago. I checked the fuel line, no issues, holds pressure fine. Changed fuel filter, checked the vent line, no change. I swapped out the whole carb for the one on my 346xp (which runs fine), same symptoms. Is there an easy test for the impulse line? No visual issues. It almost looks like you have to removed the cylinder to get at the bellows/intake boot. This saw also has the 'cat' muffler on it, I hear they are troublesome, do they ever cause issues like this?

Have you inspected the ignition system? Coil gap? Proper spark plug? Chafed wiring?
Only the spark plug, I'm wondering about ignition. the way it's acting and the fact it happened all of a sudden has me thinking it may be something there. It speeds up fine, I would say to 3/4 throttle then cuts out hard, like bap- bap- bap- bap almost like a rev limiter. Kind of strange.

Latest posts

Back