Jonsered 625 and others Clutch application

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

almondgt

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Looking to find out what the deal is with clutches for the Jonsered 625 and 670 models. My 625 saw has a fine thread mounting hole and 3 shoe clutch with the one spring that ties the assembly together (old school style) that is cracked and the drum is nearly wore through. Do the clutches/drums off the newer Husqvarna and Jonsered saws fit my application? Part numbers for the newer Husqvarna/Jonsered saws are 503744401 and 503744402 as per Fleabites auctions I checked out. Both part numbers referenced are for a fine thread clutch. I measured the drum from my old saw and a Jonsered 2065 drum I have on hand and they appear to be the same. The same rim sprocket fits both old and new drums. The newer Husk/Jonser clutches are a different design utilizing 3 "C" shaped springs. Will the above newer clutch part numbers fit my saw without risk to the saws body and mine? What is the difference between the part numbers I quoted since the last part number in each is different? Is there a technique to removing a newer Husqvarna/Jonsered clutch off of the crank shaft as there is no nut an impact socket can be attached to like my old clutch? Sooo many questions, so little time. I need a clutch! :confused:

>>Is there a technique to removing a newer Husqvarna/Jonsered clutch off of the crank shaft as there is no nut an impact socket can be attached to like my old clutch?<<

Hi Almondgt,

Your going to need to get the clutch off before you can compare it. The clutch is threaded to the crank with left handed threads, meaning the clutch tightens when turned counter-clockwise left.

I use a piece of clothesline rope with several half hitches tied into it. Insert the rope down into the cylinder through the spark plug hole. Use a flashlight and watch the piston moving upwards into the engine's compression stroke before you insert the rope. Be careful that the ends of the rope do not get caught in the exhaust port. Your squeezing the rope between the piston top and the cylinder to lock down the engine. I believe this is easier on the piston and connecting rod bearings than using a threaded piston stop.

Make yourself a clutch tool out of an old sparkplug deepwell socket. Using a grinder or a file use the clutch plates as a guide and remove the socket wall material to make the tool. If you would like to see what a clutch removal tool looks like here is a link to some pics;
http://www.baileysonline.com/search.asp?SKW=clutch tool&catID=95

Once you have a tool made and have the engine locked down you can proceed to remove the clutch. Remember the threads are left hand to tighten on the crank, so you turn the clutch spider clockwise to loosen it.

Best wishes,
Bob

Thanks for the input Bob. I will use your suggestions once I buy a newer clutch to compare to. I must assume no one has tried replacing an old clutch/drum with a newer version clutch on a Jonsered 625. Where the heck have all the experienced Jonsered owners gone!:cry:

Never tried or checked this,but from memory,maybe the shoes on the the 2065 are thicker and diameter larger too,not sure tho.The change in number is probably due to an upgrade on spring quality. The drum wont fit for sure due to the gear drive on 2065.Why not using a clutch from another model comparable tou yours like 630,670,268,272.Plenty of them used and quite easy to find.Be sure the threads are fine like your 625.

I am a little confused, let me see if I have this straight. You want to put a different clutch on your 625, and possibly replace it with a clutch from a 2165 or 2171? You can still get a new clutch for the 600 series saws. As far as I know there is no significant reason to add a newer clutch to this saw, not even sure if the threads are the same. If you don't like the single spring type you can get part number: 503744402 that has the 3 different springs. The 625 had the single spring while the 670 and 630 had the 3 spring clutch. This is just from the IPL's, not sure if they came with the 1 spring at one point or not, but you can upgrade to the 670/630 clutch.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply. My curiousity is to know if Part number 503744401 that fit the Jonsered 2065 2071 2165 2171 saws interchange with the clutch part number 503744402. The updated part number from what I have gathered for a Jonsered 625 670 is 503744402 as you have mentioned as well. Both part numbers I have quoted are different only by the last number in each sequence. The 503744401 part number requires a special tool to remove from the saw whereas the 503744402 seems to have a 19mm nut cast into the center of the clutch for removal. I have purchased/waiting for a 503744401 clutch to find out if infact the clutches are interchangeable and will fit my Jonsered 625. Both versions/part numbers of the newer clutches physically appear to be the same in pictures. This is a NEED TO KNOW POST for me :monkey: and other Jonsered Fans.

Jonsered 630 670 670 670 2050
Husqvarna 254xp 346xp 357xp 61 257
Homelite 150 invention needed to reduce vibrationssssss in the handle
Jonsered 625 Clutchless/drumless for the moment
Stihl 041 045 AV's
:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply. My curiousity is to know if Part number 503744401 that fit the Jonsered 2065 2071 2165 2171 saws interchange with the clutch part number 503744402. The updated part number from what I have gathered for a Jonsered 625 670 is 503744402 as you have mentioned as well. Both part numbers I have quoted are different only by the last number in each sequence. The 503744401 part number requires a special tool to remove from the saw whereas the 503744402 seems to have a 19mm nut cast into the center of the clutch for removal. I have purchased/waiting for a 503744401 clutch to find out if infact the clutches are interchangeable and will fit my Jonsered 625. Both versions/part numbers of the newer clutches physically appear to be the same in pictures. This is a NEED TO KNOW POST for me. :monkey:

Jonsered 630 670 670 670 2050
Husqvarna 254xp 346xp 357xp 61 257
Homelite 150 invention needed to reduce vibrationssssss in the handle
Jonsered 625 Clutchless/drumless for the moment
Stihl 041 045 AV's
:greenchainsaw:

As you mentioned the -401 clutch is for the 2065, where the -402 is for the 670. They both take the same "c" spring, and the part numbers are the same.

Edit: I think the 2065 and 625 have a different diameter crankshaft. Not sure if it will work.

Last edited:
Good edit/update Plant but sad for me. Clutches for the Jonsered 625 and the Jonsered 2065/ Husqvarna 365 etc. are different. :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: Crankshaft diameter is the shaft!!! in this post.:cry: :agree2:

Latest posts

Back