Jonsered 630 super 2 and stihl 029 super cylinder kits

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DisturbeD

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm planning to rebuild a 630 super 2 I recently picked up. I'm looking for recommendations on what to buy for a cylinder and piston kit. All I see on ebay is stuff from china an besides the 2 month wait I just dont think I wanna buy them.

I'm sure people have rebuilt these so can someone point me in the right direction on a good kit to purchase?

On another not my neighbor has a jonsered he wants to rebuild as well. Missing the tag but the piston measured just under 50mm. Would this be a 670 or 670 champ or a older 630? Would also be interested in kit recommendations for this saw as well.

Also just acquire another stihl 029 super farmboss that is blown up. Considering rebuilding this as well verse parting it out maybe. I haven't really check ebay for kits yet but figured I'd throw it in with this post as well.

My suggestion is to use the Super II cyl if it is in usable shape…..it's the most advanced 630 cyl. Way better design than the earlier 630 and Super cyls. Has a modern "D" shaped combustion chamber rather than the normal round one. Match that up with a Meteor piston and will not be unhappy. I have one of these that is mildly ported and runs much faster and stronger than my 630 Super or my 630 West Coast.

As far as the other Jonsered if you can post a pic of it we can tell you exactly what it is and what is your best choice of piston for that.
Concerning the 029 FB....I'm sorry but I don't speak Stihl so have nothing to add, but I'm sure someone else can help you with that.

My suggestion is to use the Super II cyl if it is in usable shape…..it's the most advanced 630 cyl. Way better design than the earlier 630 and Super cyls. Has a modern "D" shaped combustion chamber rather than the normal round one. Match that up with a Meteor piston and will not be unhappy. I have one of these that is mildly ported and runs much faster and stronger than my 630 Super or my 630 West Coast.

As far as the other Jonsered if you can post a pic of it we can tell you exactly what it is and what is your best choice of piston for that.
Concerning the 029 FB....I'm sorry but I don't speak Stihl so have nothing to add, but I'm sure someone else can help you with that.

Thanks for the info on the 630 super 2 I'll have to get the cylinder off and see if its usable still.

I'll have to get a picture from my neighbor on the other jonsered cause he cant remember what model it was but would like to get it fixed.

You are talking with the husky/jonny king with @Cantdog here. He is spot on with everything said. Some jugs do real well with different pistons then stock like a husky 61 windowed slab side piston in any jonny 630 jug. I find it makes a great runner with that mod

Is this the piston you are referring to? If not let me know where I can to find it.
View attachment 826020
No that's a single ring 630 or perhaps 670 windowed piston depending on diameter...guessing a Meteor or Episan…...the "slabside" piston looks similar except where the windows are in this piston is solid on the slabside. The windowed piston are meant to be used in closed port cyls of the 630 and 670 Jonsereds and 268XP Huskys, the slabside piston are meant to be used in the open port Jonsered 625 and Husky 61 and open port non XP later 268 husky.

I'm planning to rebuild a 630 super 2 I recently picked up. I'm looking for recommendations on what to buy for a cylinder and piston kit. All I see on ebay is stuff from china an besides the 2 month wait I just dont think I wanna buy them.

I'm sure people have rebuilt these so can someone point me in the right direction on a good kit to purchase?

On another not my neighbor has a jonsered he wants to rebuild as well. Missing the tag but the piston measured just under 50mm. Would this be a 670 or 670 champ or a older 630? Would also be interested in kit recommendations for this saw as well.

Also just acquire another stihl 029 super farmboss that is blown up. Considering rebuilding this as well verse parting it out maybe. I haven't really check ebay for kits yet but figured I'd throw it in with this post as well.
I’m not a fan of working on that model of saw but you can convert that 029 to 039 with a new piston and cylinder.

Would this happen to be the 029 cylinder that I need? Think I looked this up when I got it an it came out to be a 029 but not for sure. It looks good an I dont feel any scoring. Would take care of half my problem with one saw.

Attachments

• 20200508_100142.jpg
    20200508_100142.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • 20200508_100133.jpg
    20200508_100133.jpg
    876.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20200508_100129.jpg
    20200508_100129.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • 20200508_100125.jpg
    20200508_100125.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
That looks like the one. I believe the 029 had a 45mm bore and than a 46mm bore. 1127 is this series of saw. The 039 or 390 cylinder is kind of hard to find used. You basically have to go new OEM which would not be worth it in my opinion. Or aftermarket, maybe someone can steer you in what they use. If I was just fixing it to sell it I would just use a 029-290 cylinder and a new piston.
Lots of people dislike these saws but they typically sell well locally or to the average user.

That looks like the one. I believe the 029 had a 45mm bore and than a 46mm bore. 1127 is this series of saw. The 039 or 390 cylinder is kind of hard to find used. You basically have to go new OEM which would not be worth it in my opinion. Or aftermarket, maybe someone can steer you in what they use. If I was just fixing it to sell it I would just use a 029-290 cylinder and a new piston.
Lots of people dislike these saws but they typically sell well locally or to the average user.

Yeah I just sold the good 029 i had. If I can fix this reasonable I will but yeah when I have looked up OEM cylinder kits for stihl they always $200+ an if be fixing to resell cant make nothing that way. But if this cylinder is correct it saves me some money. But I'm never apposed to just parting saws out parts always sell.

That is a Meteor piston. I have seen the piston you are talking about for the 268 open port not sure I have seen it for a 48mm jug. You are getting favorable results with this type of piston in a Jonsered 630 closed port 48mm? Does the piston you are talking about have 2 rings? What brands?

You can go either way on that saw. I usually go the other way. Whats that a handle for a Stihl MS290, maybe I should build a saw around it!

Back