Jonsered question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nhlogga

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a jonsered 2171 problem. It runs fine for about 10 minutes then bogs down and acts like it's half choked. Let off the throttle it quits. It'll start back up a few times then won't start at all. I'm going to look at it tomorrow. I'm going to check the fuel line,impulse line, and possibly try a different carb. spark seems good and the plug is new gapped at .025. Compression feels good. I don't have a tach. or compression guage or any tech. tools yet. Any other suggestions?

Could be as simple as a plugged vent. When it quits loosen the gas cap and then see if it starts back up.
You can also pull the plug and shine a light in and look at the cylinder walls by the exhaust port. If they show some vertical streaks you may be looking at some bigger damage.
Check the fuel line over really well. Especially just below the carb and air filter housing and where it goes into the tank.
Any cracks and it needs to be replaced.
Is the air filter clean.
Also shine the light in the fuel tank and verify that the filter is clean and the line is intact.

fuel filter is new. How do you clean the vent? I just put a new asprin looking tablet in the the vent tube. I'm thinking it may be p&c. I built the saw out of old parts and didn't have high hopes for it. Maybe time for a bb kit.

My 076 kept doing the same thing. Turned out that either the fuel filter was deteriorating or it was letting very fine dust through. It kept plugging up the screen in the carb, the one that is between the metering & pump side of the carb.

The vent can usually be popped out with an o-ring pick or other sharp object.
If it isn't the vent then it sounds like it's time to pull the muffler and look at the piston and rings.

I guess I'll just strip the saw down and give it a thorough check up. I apperciate the help. Thank you. I'll keep you posted.

found problem

found the problem. time for a bb kit and a port and muffler mod:clap: would a ported bb kit be too much for normal use? Here are pics of the problem.

yeah i know i got to find what caused the problrm. one of the cylinder bolts wasn`t completely tight whei i took it apart. that could`ve done it? i built the saw out of the parts pile. i bought a used crank and bearings. i did new crank seals maybe they were`nt in properely. i`ll do those again well have them done when i have it fixed. i got a guy thats gonna fix it and mod it for me. don`t know about the carb settings as i don`t have a tach yet. i will get one when i order the parts. didn`t sound lean so i ran it. well now i have an excuse to mod it. not like i need one.

ducttape what part of nh are you in?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back