Jonsered Set-up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl Racer

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Any of you guys know what RPM to set a Red 360 at? I only ever work on Stihl in my shop and we set up 12-14000 depending on the saw. Is the Jonsereds in the same range? By the way, i really like this saw, good power weight etc. Sure its no Stihl but u cant beat the price at free. That and i dont like our Jonny dealer hear. They dont carry a single part in stock....not even bar nuts....what the hell is that?

Have you checked out mikes site on it? 630 thats all the info I can find on it.

I still have my owners manual from when I bought my 670. The 625/630/670 all use the same needle settings. It dosent list an rpm but from running my 670 Im going to say the rpm's will be pretty high. I put a tach on mine years ago but cant remember the numbers. Mine still runs like new, if it would be any help I will tach it again and give you the numbers. I would think the rpms should be close, then again maybe not, the 670 was a bad arss saw in its day.

eric_271 said:
Looks like the early 630 was rated at 3.1 hp. The 630 superII in 92 was rated at 4.4 hp. Do you know what year your 630 is?
I am pretty sure the the 3.1 hp listed in the link should read 3.1 kw, which is about 4.2 hp....

oldsaw-addict said:
I'd set it at around 11k rpms.........
Just guessing again, are you???? :rolleyes:

The max rpm for the Husky 61 was/is 12500, so max rpm for the 630 should be at least the same.

How to set the RPM's properly, is best done with a ear and experience.
Setting a saws Rpm's is not easy, if you want the most effect in the saw and this exact Rpm, you must know this is not the same. Engine's are individual, no two is identical. If you have two brand new saws both run equal they will still differ in some way.

The Rpm setting is not a rule it is a advice, more of a information of how the model should act than how this saw acts.

Search this site you will find lots of good advice's and tips.

The HVA workshop manual say that Max rpm is:
55 12500rpm
61 12000rpm
262xp 13500rpm
242xp 15500rpm
257 13500rpm

SawTroll said:
I am pretty sure the the 3.1 hp listed in the link should read 3.1 kw, which is about 4.2 hp....

That may not be right. If they did the same with the 630 that they did with the 670. They went to the closed port in the early 90s giveing the 670 more hp then the early 670. 670 super ;) Now Im going out on a limb here but when they started calling the 630 a 630 super II in 92 is there a chance they went closed port with the 630 also? Or did they just want to rebadge it? The 630 was built for quite a few years. Im pretty sure hp is going to be different between the early 630 and the 630 super II. The 630 super II is rated at 3.2 kw not 3.1.

I have never heard of 630 Super II, just 630 II - and that one had less power output than the original one. It was the same with 625 II vs. 625.
Regarding the 670 Super/Champ, the Super stated out at 3.6 kw/4.9 hp and the last Champs "only" had 3.4/4.6.

I think the decline in power was EPA-related.

EDIT; My memory was a bit rusty - 630 Super II existed, not just 630 II.

Last edited:
Mange said:
61 12000rpm
It seems like newer sources list max rpm 12000, max power at 8300 - while the older ones list 12500 and 8500. EPA again?? ;)

In my 92-93 Jonsered brochure all that is listed for the 630 is the 630 super II. Picture and specs. The 670 super was rated at 4.9 hp but in the years befor that was rated at less. Again the power gain in the early 90s came from the switch to the closed port. In the early 80s the 670 did not have as much hp. They were not winning championships in the 90s with the early 80s 670. Emissions probly did catch up with them in the late 90s probly 670 and the 630 both.

SawTroll The 3.1 hp is correct on the 630. The 630 super and the 670 super both came along later and both were rated at higher hp numbers. I will repeat this one last time. The higher hp numbers came from improved port design.

Mange said:
55 12500rpm
61 12000rpm
262xp 13500rpm
242xp 15500rpm
257 13500rpm

Same sourse say max out put at:
55 9000rpm
61 8300rpm
262xp 9600rpm
242xp 9900rpm
257 9000rpm

eric_271 said:
The higher hp numbers came from improved port design.

I do not bye this.

This was not by any means a "new technology" in HVA's.
It was used in the saws produced in the beginning of HVA's Chainsaw day's.
Nothing new until the xp came with the soft flow type channels.

Open ports was not considered a pro saw option, now day's the design and material used allow the open ports to be much better.
Open ports is a newer idea than enclosed. So it is not improved design.

I would think the market wanted a faster more powered saw, and this was a faster alternative than designing a model from scratch.

Mange I think you are missing my point. By switching to the closed port the 670 gained hp. Im not saying every saw would improve by doing that but the 670 did and trust me the 670 champ was ahead of anything husky had at the time.

It just does not sound right. I want the facts to be as good as possible.
That is one of the best things about forums, you can get so much more than just one source of info, but it
I just mean that the got such good responce from this model, but it needed a bit more balls, so instead of re desingn the saw and relese a new model, they tryed to get out more affect as cheep as possible.
But to say this was a new design is just not right, that is like saying the 2156 has a improved filter system, Turbo.

Ah never mind, I can't explain....

Back