Jonsereds 455 aftermarket coil quality?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RIDE-RED 350r

No wing, no prayer
Reaction score
Hey fellas..

My Dad has a Jonsereds 455 he bought new in about 1986. It has been a wonderfully reliable saw for many many years up till a couple of years ago. We are pretty sure the coil is failing. The saw will start cold and run well for a bit, then will start not wanting to take throttle and then quit. When it quits it will not restart. We checked to make sure the fuel tank isn't vapor locking, no hiss when loosening the fuel cap. Spark though isn't very good. After letting it cool for awhile it will re-fire and repeat.

Dad can't run a saw any more due to health issues but I want to get it running right just the same. It's the first saw I ever put into wood when I was 11 years old. It's kind of a sentimental thing. Not to mention that for it's size and age it is quite a good running 45cc if I do say so myself. I wouldn't put it on par with a 346xp but I'd say it is better than alot of the 45cc saws out there today as it seems most saws in that size are mainly neutered "homeowner" grade saws to begin with.

I was just wondering if anyone can advise me on the quality of aftermarket coils available?

Or if they aren't worth messing with can anyone tell me if there are other model Johnny-Reds or Huskies from that era that the ignition coil will interchange with the 455 so I have a better chance of finding a good used OE unit?

I agree the 455 is a nice saw to run. Have 3 of them that came to me as orphans needing some love and after a little TLC, all are good runners.

Original coil number 506027202 supersedes to 544018301 that fits many.

jons 450,455,490
husk 51,55,61,268,272, and prob others.

Ive had good luck with aftermarket, and at about 1/2 cost of oem would use first over chancing a used one.

Latest posts

Back