Jonsereds 70E

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trublmakr318

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi new member here, I picked up an old Jonsereds 70E,prob mid 70s, at a yard sale.Im no expert on saws so I figured Id ask you guys.I was trying to get it running today,changed plug,fresh gas. Its getting a good spark and fuel and seems to have stong compression.But the best I got it to do today was sputter a little then died. So I took the plug off and pulled it about 7 times,put plug back in but nothing.
I know it has been sitting for a cpl years.Any suggestions before I take it to a shop? Does anyone have any info on this saw displacement,hp etc?
Thanks

70E

Mid 70ies for a 70E does not ad up, it has to be a bit newer.........

It was replaced by the mainly Husky designed 670 in 1982/-83.

Last edited:
You could try

You could try putting the piston at bottom dead center and filling the plug hole with 1/2 premix and 1/2 automatic transmission fluid and letting it set overnight. On storage many times seals will dry out and get brittle. letting the tranny fluid do it's work sometimes will swell the rubber back up.

After letting the saw sit overnight turn it upside down and drain well slowly turning over the saw to remove all fluid. Then install a new plug and prime carb with a little fuel and see if you can get it running.

Sawtroll thanks for the links. I think I just flooded the crap outa it yesterday. The plug boot was pretty dryrotted too. So I replaced it. I only had a cpl minutes to play with it this morning. 1rst pull I got a little sputter so I though.'Yeah this babys gonna start now",2nd pull turned off the choke and broke the pull rope. I'll get her going sooner or later.

PEST,

That is a good tip right there, I couldn't let it slide by. Keep posting the good stuff. You may not have the initial person appreciate it but some one down the line might if they ever do a search.

nice tip.:rockn:

It's OK

He will most likely wish he had tried it because I have had tons of seals on those era Jonnys dry out and rip up when you finally do get them to start.
They are not the easiest seal replacement

PEST said:
You could try putting the piston at bottom dead center and filling the plug hole with 1/2 premix and 1/2 automatic transmission fluid and letting it set overnight. On storage many times seals will dry out and get brittle. letting the tranny fluid do it's work sometimes will swell the rubber back up.

After letting the saw sit overnight turn it upside down and drain well slowly turning over the saw to remove all fluid. Then install a new plug and prime carb with a little fuel and see if you can get it running.

Pest, just curious, why automatic transmission fluid ? does it have a special viscosity or can other oil be used?
thanks
roland

Seal sweller

I don't know what exactly the additive is but it softens and renews rubber parts. I believe you can still buy tansmission stop leak and that is just a higher concentration of this additive. In the old car days many a car rear main seal had it's leaky messes reduced and sometimes eliminated by adding one quart of ATF to the crankcase oil drive until the leak stopped or slowed down then chage the oil

I put a new rope on it yesterday and after reading the posts did the tranny fluid premix thing. Let it sit overnight. . Put the plug on and 3rd pull shes running great. Thanks Pest.This things NASTY! Im used to my Stihl 025. Well worth the $50 I paid for it.

trublmakr318 said:
I put a new rope on it yesterday and after reading the posts did the tranny fluid premix thing. Let it sit overnight. . Put the plug on and 3rd pull shes running great. Thanks Pest.This things NASTY! Im used to my Stihl 025. Well worth the $50 I paid for it.

Back in the late 70s early 80"s 70E was "The SAW"....Was cutting for a tree lenght operation, fall and limb about 20 cord every day with one, for several years. Its a real good saw.........

Why is it that ATF can solve so many problems? There must be a magic ingredient :taped:

retoocs555 said:
Why is it that ATF can solve so many problems? There must be a magic ingredient :taped:

No kidding...talk about the magic bullet!

ATF also has a very high detergent content, so a lot of mechanics use it to clean out the oil sludge from older automobile engines. Depending on the engine's oil capacity, you put in a half to a full quart of ATF in place of the same amount of oil. Then run the engine 50 to 100 miles or so, and change the oil again, but this time with pure oil.

Good stuff, that ATF.

PEST said:
I know for a FACT it makes a LOUSY hair conditioner

and it tastes terrible
:laugh:
LOL, and it will burn you, this is something I learned the hard way spilling a goodly amount on the front of my pants one day under an old Impala, 'bout an hour later got real itchy, nice rash too, um, down there :ices_rofl:

Had a stupid Powerglide

Had a stupid Powerglide that someone "set up" for a friend for a drag car.....used to have to change the dang fluid in the pits between runs cause it boiled the fluid......I hated wedensday night I'd look like bozo the clown till sunday.
:jester:

:buttkick:

Back