Jonsereds Gasket Making

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just wanted to share a small success!! I 've been doing a lot of 49sp and 52 Jonsereds and as anyone who works on these, the gaskets have been NLA for a while. The ones I use the most are the cyl. base gasket and the carb to manifold gaskets. Anyway I needed a way to produce more than one at a time. So I had one each of these good used gaskets. I laid out a grid on regular 8.5X11 inch printer and used the grid paper to position the cyl gasket in my photo copier and kept repositioning the gasket and running the paper through the printer until I had nine copies of the gasket. Then I used the same grid to position the carb gasket in the center of the already printed cyl gasket copy. Then I had nine of each set of gasket copies. Then went to the NAPA parts store and purchased a roll of .015 in gasket paper (just .002 thicker than a new uncompressed cyl gasket not really worried about squish).

Then I cut out an 8.5X11 sheet of gasket material and ran it through the printer and ended up with 9 sets of these cherished gaskets and can make more at any time by just scanning the original. This would work for any old gaskets of any make as long as you used thin enough material that the printer could run. Just a little info someone may find helpful.

I went to the dealer for some new gaskets and a carb kit for my 70E. He was able to get everything I needed, except the gasket between the manifold and cylinder. I had to make it. Not the easiest gasket to make when you have no experience. Fortunately, everything worked out and it's running great now.

Hmmm.....

If you scanned them and turned them into a file (say a PDF) we could begin AS gasket database.

or

You could sell them to other members, I'm sure some people who don't want to go to the hassle would pay some decent money for hard to get gaskets.

That is a stroke of genius Cantdog.

I went to the dealer for some new gaskets and a carb kit for my 70E. He was able to get everything I needed, except the gasket between the manifold and cylinder. I had to make it. Not the easiest gasket to make when you have no experience. Fortunately, everything worked out and it's running great now.

Yes that is a small and somewhat difficult gasket to make as the holes for the impulse passage have to be correct. There a lot of bolt holes in that little gasket as well!!! Especially difficult if you do not have one to use as a pattern. That's why I copied these patterns to gasket material. Trying to make them one at a time was a real PITA. One would seem to go ok and the next one wouldn't fit very well if at all. Now I have them printed to gasket paper and all I have to do cut the outsdide with scisors and cut the inside with an E-xto knife and cut the bolt holes and passage hole with leather punch pliers. The best thing is that sheet that has the templates is just on printer paper and I can scan and print as many copies as I want from that. When I'm done it goes back in the file cabinet. It worked great. I have not copied the gasket that you needed but I certainly am going to copy any thin gasket for Jreds that I come by. The old Jreds are my primary interest and they have to be kept alive!!! :cheers::cheers::cheers:

I would think that all that stuff would be NLA since the saw has been off production for sooo long. Did he just happen to have it, or did he order it somewhere?

Back