jonsred 630 air filter options....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foursaps

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i was having an issue with some micro sawdust making it's way through the air filter, so i figured it was time for a new one. picked one up last week and cut with it today (one tank of gas). when i was done i pulled the air filter to clean it out and there was still some dust in the carb throat.
is this just the type of filter it is?
it's a mesh type, not a fabric type. should i put some air filter oil on it?
what other options do i have for a filter?

thanks!!

There is a kit to put a K&N style filter on the 630, but you will either have to run without the filter cover, or cut a hole in it. Or with some parts swaping, you could run the HD filter set-up of the Husqvarna 272XP.

i'll have to go look at a 272 to see what the filter is like. i would rather not run it without the cover, has anyone used motorcycle air fiter oil on these air filters?? or something along those lines? how were the results?

the chain is sharp, and throws good chunks, but there is always small dust that comes with cutting, it''s the nature of the beast. i would hate to see it ruin my saw but maybe it has been this way all aong and i just noticed it now?

The air filter oil was usually used on those K&N type filters and they were fibre filters, IMHO i would say the oil would stick in the holes of the filter an block it, you may be able to add some kind of pre filter to stop some of the dirty air getting to the filter.

Spud

i called my local husky dealer and asked if there was any other options, he said no, of course. asked about a foam pre-filter and he said none were offered, but i could probably make one. still haven't checked out the 272 filter, hoping it's a good option.

i guess it's just the way it is, i mean, the mesh can only be so fine before it doesn't flow air through. just gonna have to keep it really clean and swab out the carb throat more often.

i called my local husky dealer and asked if there was any other options, he said no, of course. asked about a foam pre-filter and he said none were offered, but i could probably make one. still haven't checked out the 272 filter, hoping it's a good option.

i guess it's just the way it is, i mean, the mesh can only be so fine before it doesn't flow air through. just gonna have to keep it really clean and swab out the carb throat more often.

I have done routine maintenance on my fathers Husqvarna 61 for the last 10 or so years and found fine dust in the air filter support. Saw was built in 1983 and purchased new, used seasonally and never had a problem although it did concern me for a while. The fine dust is not a good thing but being it is so fine can the dust really do any real damage? Just my .02
:chainsawguy:

They have a black and a orange colored nylon mesh filter. I think there is a flocked type also. I forget what color is the finer mesh If your chain is sharp and the filter to elbow gasket is good, the little bit of fine saw dust wont hurt the saw. Alot have run many hrs. The old josereds 49sp filter set up let lots of dus in and they ran alot of years like that.

i have been thinking the same, that it won't do much. the carb is freshly rebuilt, and doesnt seem to be harmed by it.
I'm going to be cutting tomorrow, so i'll take some pics after to show the degree of infiltration.

Back