jonwood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jondavidwood

Reaction score
I have a Stihl 044 (12mm pin in piston) have pulled it down to replace piston and jug. I cant seem to get the base housing for the crank shaft apart, have removed all bolts, I am worried that if I force it something might break any suggestions?

The head should have 4 bolts holding it to the bottom end of the saw. Once those are out you might have to tap on the head to break the seal from the base gasket. If you are talking about splitting bottom end...... Well thats a different story. For that I would suggest posting this question in the main chainsaw part of the forum. You will get ALOT more responces.

Thanks yes I am talking about the bottom end of the saw(already got the head off) I will try and post the question in the main area
Cheers

That is what is commonly called "splitting the case." Lots of threads showing how to do it. It's a fairly big deal, so don't split the case unless there is a good reason to do so. Normally you would only split the case to change the crank bearings.

There are special tools for "Splitting the cases",and certain knowledge you must have to do it.You will have to do your homework and learn how or take it to a dealer. DO NOT bludgeon away on the ends of the crankshaft with a hammer in trying to force it apart,you will likely "mushroom" the threaded ends of the crank and ruin it-expensive!
Learn how to do it properly,maybe purchase a crankcase splitter and it's possible you can do it at home-good luck!

Latest posts

Back