Jotul Oslo

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hanko

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
getting rid of the charmaster and going with the freestanding oslo next year. What are some opinions on this stove. I could also go with the heartstone as the local dealer sells both. Im looking for most heat with less wood.

getting rid of the charmaster and going with the freestanding oslo next year. What are some opinions on this stove. I could also go with the heartstone as the local dealer sells both. Im looking for most heat with less wood.

I have the oslo. It takes a 22 inch log, and heats my home just fine. I'm in south Pa. and it's been a bit mild this winter, but the oslo, even when it went down to single digits recently, did a fine job. I liked the stove because it has good craftsmanship, top quality doors and latches, and a nice working ash pan. My home is 1850 sq. feet on one floor plus 300 or so in a bonus room above the garage. This stove heats it just fine.

If you get this stove, be careful of loading against the burn tubes up top and/or damage to the baffle. It's a fine design but ya just don't wanna be shoving wood in there and tearin' stuff up.

I also re-cemented the seams in the firebox recently, along where the side meets the bottom of the stove, the factory stuff was loose and I decided to just clean it all out and redo it....an easy job, maybe an hour total time involved.

********** there's a website to check out :)

Here is a picture of my Jotul. It is F 600 Firelight CB - the largest model. We heat 3500 square feet (well insulated, open floorplan) with it. It will hold coals for 12 hours easily - and restarts fast in the mornings. It is very well made, excellent craftsmanship, and the blue black enamel is gorgeous. I will be buying either an Oslo or Castine for our basement next year. I looked into Hearthstone - glad I chose the Jotul.

1194Stove3.jpg

Here is a picture of my Jotul. It is F 600 Firelight CB - the largest model. We heat 3500 square feet (well insulated, open floorplan) with it. It will hold coals for 12 hours easily - and restarts fast in the mornings. It is very well made, excellent craftsmanship, and the blue black enamel is gorgeous. I will be buying either an Oslo or Castine for our basement next year. I looked into Hearthstone - glad I chose the Jotul.

1194Stove3.jpg
cool, thanks. what was the selling point on the jotul vs. the hearthstone

We've had the same exact stove for 3 years now and am really happy with it.

It replaced a Jotul F3 CB which is now sitting on another hearth.......not hooked up because we don't need the heat....plus the second chimney would have to be lined.
your the wood police dude right?

cool, thanks. what was the selling point on the jotul vs. the hearthstone

The looks of the Jotul were more pleasing. I like the biggest Hearthstone, but all the rest of their stoves are pretty ugly IMO. Also, we like the fact that we can install the firescreen and enjoy an open fire ocassionally with the Jotul. We knew we wanted to eventually get a smaller, but matching, stove for the basement...we also liked the dealer...so everything pointed to the Jotul.

Whats that supposed to mean?

I dont believe that question was directed at you, but if you must know I was asking if he was one of the the people that decides what you say on this site is correct or not. Is there a problem with that?.

The looks of the Jotul were more pleasing. I like the biggest Hearthstone, but all the rest of their stoves are pretty ugly IMO. Also, we like the fact that we can install the firescreen and enjoy an open fire ocassionally with the Jotul. We knew we wanted to eventually get a smaller, but matching, stove for the basement...we also liked the dealer...so everything pointed to the Jotul.
Im going to look at them this weekend, ILL probably put a deposit down. I think you mentioned how big your house was, how much wood do you use for the season. In Michigan, our burning season in usually from Late Oct thru early April.

Yes Hank, I am.

Have you got a problem with that?
boy you guys are testy. I just ask an honest question, and i get aggresive answers from two different people. Geez, this is like being married, your afraid to ask something cause your spouse totaly thinks you mean something different. NO I dont have a problem with you or anything else. Fair enough? Or would you and the other guy like to analize this some more. Im a great supporter of this site, and enjoy it very much. I would suggest you and this other fellow dont make people afraid to speak there mind.

Henry

Im going to look at them this weekend, ILL probably put a deposit down. I think you mentioned how big your house was, how much wood do you use for the season. In Michigan, our burning season in usually from Late Oct thru early April.

It gets colder here than it does in the lower penninsula of MI...and we get some really windy days. We have forced air electric which turns on to maintain the temperature of the house (set at 66*) as necessary when we damp the stove back at night, or while we are away for extended periods. If the temperature is around 10* or so, the stove will keep the house about 72* at a medium burn ~325*. If we really fire the stove ~450-500*, the house will easily be 78*. So, we'll run it hard in the mornings to clean it out and bring the house back up, then just idle it all day to maintain. Our burn season is similar. As far as wood consumption goes, if it was our sole means of heat, I would say 7-8 cords a year...right now I am going thru 5-6 cords. I prefer to burn Douglas Fir - we don't have many hardwoods around here, so it is the best stuff we have going. I also burn some elm, cottonwood and russian olive when I get enough for free that it is worth my time to go cut, haul and split it.

:clap: That's a good looking Jotul you have there. I have the very same design but a smaller version and the finish is matte versus the shiney.

Our Oslo is on its 3rd winter for all wood heat, all the time. The other stove is a VC cat about the same firebox size , which is much more efficient, but fussier to use and maintain.
Two things to think over: get the porcelain finish; easy to maintain and always looks good. Jotul offers a non-porcelain "cook top" for the Oslo.
The Oslo heats a R-11 insulated 24x24 two story cape wing of the house.

sitting next to a 400 degree Oslo as I type. I love this stove. Have nothing to compare to really since this is the first stove I've run 24/7. Its 28 outside and 77 inside. 2300 sq ft house with cathedral ceilings.

If I had it to do again I'd go with the 600 but the Oslo keeps up down to about 17 or 18 degrees.

For me the keys were the side loading door, very convenient where my stove is. Functional ash pan. Great quality, no issues. My only negative is (IMHO) you must use the side loading due to the design of the lip on the inside of the front door. It will spill ash every time out the front.

If the 500 is enough stove for your house I don't think you can go wrong with it!

JD in SE PA :)

The side loading doors on the Oslo 500 and the Firelight 600 are on opposite sides of the stove. If space is tight this may be a consideration. I load using the side door on my Firelight probably 95% of the time using the front door only for really packing a cold stove and cleaning up the glass.
How big is your house? and how much wood have you gone thru. i just ordered my oslo today. I hoping not to burn more than 3 or 4 cord next year. I know for sure i wont polute as much. probably stay warmer too.

I load using the side door on my Firelight probably 95% of the time using the front door only for really packing a cold stove and cleaning up the glass.

Yup, me too!

By the way - I loaded it up last night at 2300, threw on 3 logs at 0530 this morning, and it still had a bunch of coals and lit off right away at 1830 this evening. I love this stove!

Last edited:
Back