Just a Hi and a share! My saws and stuff!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*SD*

Reaction score
Hi all! Been checking this site out for ages and decided to register. Lots of good info on here, seems like there's a good splash of experience too! Anyway I just wanted to say hi and introduce my self. My name is Barry and I manage a Timber Merchant's in Wales/UK. Started cutting firewood with my uncle when I was about 8 years old and haven't stopped since! Just to clarify, I don't own the Timber Merchant's I work for, I just landed on my feet with the job. Came in sweeping the floor and making the tea and worked my way up. I supply firewood for my family members and sell what I can to others, just invested in some new saws and thought I'd share to see what you all think. I cut a LOT (and I mean a lot) of both hardwood and softwood (pine larch and douglas fir / Oak sycamore Ashe Alder and Beech mostly) on a private plantation whcih is about 12 miles square. Been rocking a Husky 365 which I bought brand new about ten years ago, been lovingly maintained (yes I'm a self confessed saw nut!) and is still in daily use today. I recently (very) invested in a Stihl MS171 for dealing with the smaller stuff (clearance, tidying and small logging etc) running a 14" B/C and an MS660 running a 36" B/C for the bigger brutes. All running 3/8 round ground chisel. Must say I'm hugely impressed with both the Stihls, I'm using the 171 a heck of a lot more than I thought I would and the MS660 is invaluable in the bigger stuff, pulls that 114 link chain through the big stuff even better than I thought it would, don't half use some juice though! Anyway I won't make this too lengthy, just wanted to introduce my self and share some basic info - be cool to hear back from you guys n gals!

*SD*

Thanks man! I have attached a pic of the MS171 next to the MS660 on my kitchen worktop (I'm not married :) )

And another of my fist bash with the 660 (please note I made a couple of cuts then took my PPE off for the photo, it was insisted that my face was in the picture, the saw is not running in this photograph!)

Heylo and welcome! I'm new also and you've come to the right place. This place is a wealth of information and good people. Nice to find other people who like showing off their saws and their wood:msp_w00t::cheers:

Timber Merchant and tea. Awesome.

It's really a shame what we've done to your language! Hahaha

Welcome aboard brother:msp_w00t:

Diolch yn fawr i pawb! (Thanks very much to all)

The 365 is amazingly still going as strong as the day I bought it. I was in a car accident that wasn't my fault and I bought it with the insurance payout :)
It's never given me a spot of bother, think I've only replaced the starter rope once! Still on its original clutch! How I really don't know. Reminds m I need to change the rim sprocket on it. It runs a 20" bar, will get some pics on later hopefully. The 171 is getting a lot of use, a lot more than I imagined, really handy little saw. Not looking forward to touching up the chain on the 660 though, I imagine that'll take about ten years with the size of it (jk).
I also have an efco 140S whihc I bought on the cheap, wouldn't start. The keyway was stripped in the flywheel and it was sparking at the top of the stroke, got it up and running sweet as a nut and now the starter recoil is broken. Don't know if any of you use Efco's but does anyone know where I can get parts for it? Really struggling on eBay with this one. I need the whole assy as the clockspring sits in a housing which is moulded into the cover, glue is not going to do the trick :( I'd like to get it up and running as it owes me a bit of money (and time) and for the short time I had it going it was quite a handy little saw. Hoping to fins a UK supplier for the recoil assy, anyone?

I recently (very) invested in a Stihl MS171 for dealing with the smaller stuff (clearance, tidying and small logging etc) running a 14" B/C and an MS660 running a 36" B/C for the bigger brutes. All running 3/8 round ground chisel.

You run 3/8" on a MS171?? Seems pretty beefy for that saw.

Sure it's not picco?

You run 3/8" on a MS171?? Seems pretty beefy for that saw.

Sure it's not picco?

Yeah this is confusing me too, it is a picco but it says on the box it's 3/8? I only noticed it when I bought a couple of spare chains. I think chain specs are something I haven't quite mastered yet, I understand (or thought I did!) pitch, guage, cutter pattern etc but perhaps I don't fully. The chains on the 171 (aside from being shorter as it's running a 14" bar) have "smaller" teeth which I (perhaps mistakenly) thought meant it was .325. All my others (the husky and the 660) I use either a 7/32 or 13/64 file but the 171 chians I use a 5/32, so they are definitely smaller teeth. How does pitch affect tooth "size" or is there a term/spec for tooth size? I understood it that pitch is the distance between any three rivets divided by something or other but does this figure have any bearing on cutter size? How does it work?

Latest posts

Back