Just about blew a gasket

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah pguy puts another perspective on it most of us have fallen on tough times and it good to have a friend to help pick you up when your down. However if you loaned me your saw it would be riding up front with me.

Most guys I know just treat chainsaws as tools, this is how they treat all their tools. If you were to look in the truck box bed is covered about 6" deep in rusty tools, hand, electric and gas all left on the truck through all types of weather. Might see a sheet of poly or a half shredded tarp thrown over them in a bad rain or snow storm. The tools all mixed in with tree bark, gravel;, topsoil and sods along with fallen tree leaves. Not a pretty picture to most on here.

I have no problem lending out one of my saws, just ask and this is what you get.

$_20.JPG

My friends that have chainsaws and know chainsaws, never ask me to loan them one of mine. Nor do I ask to borrow one of theirs.

I will not loan a chainsaw to someone with very little to no experience with them. I can't recall the last time someone asked to use my saw. If they did, I most likely told them that I would look up Home Depot's rental dept. for them.

Is that a 32" bar heavy duty for sure...

It is totally a pro saw. Don't laugh there was a local guy who would show up for jobs with a genny and a long cord for his electric saw. Claimed it was more environmentally responsible. I would think the miles and miles of electrical cord would give you a hernia. :D

It is totally a pro saw. Don't laugh there was a local guy who would show up for jobs with a genny and a long cord for his electric saw. Claimed it was more environmentally responsible. I would think the miles and miles of electrical cord would give you a hernia. :D

Doc's wouldn't let me have a magneto by my side for six years. A fellow in Japan mentioned a big electric saw he had and I did some research. There are three phase saws it takes a big generator to pull, probably have more torque than any gas saw a man can tote and they run big bars on them.

My deal about lending is simple. There are a certain few I will lend to, anyone else if I wouldn't give it away to them if they needed me to I won't loan it to them. My brother-in-law got a nice saw from me one winter. Hated it, I told my wife when he took it that it would be dead when I got it back. As expected, took several trips months later to retrieve it, dead. He had three small children, no job, heated with firewood, so I loaned him the saw.

These days everyone is used to toy saws and safety chain so I explain to people that a saw with no nose guard and RSC chain on it is too dangerous for someone that isn't familiar with it to run. I much prefer to go help people and bring my saw home in one piece! Too, I would feel bad if somebody bobbed off any major body parts with my saw, some truth to what I tell them, it ain't a monster but it ain't a toy either. I don't mention I got a toy in a bulk purchase. Did a little work on it and they can't destroy it either. Handy for pruning and light limbing.

Hu

Doc's wouldn't let me have a magneto by my side for six years. A fellow in Japan mentioned a big electric saw he had and I did some research. There are three phase saws it takes a big generator to pull, probably have more torque than any gas saw a man can tote and they run big bars on them.

My deal about lending is simple. There are a certain few I will lend to, anyone else if I wouldn't give it away to them if they needed me to I won't loan it to them. My brother-in-law got a nice saw from me one winter. Hated it, I told my wife when he took it that it would be dead when I got it back. As expected, took several trips months later to retrieve it, dead. He had three small children, no job, heated with firewood, so I loaned him the saw.

These days everyone is used to toy saws and safety chain so I explain to people that a saw with no nose guard and RSC chain on it is too dangerous for someone that isn't familiar with it to run. I much prefer to go help people and bring my saw home in one piece! Too, I would feel bad if somebody bobbed off any major body parts with my saw, some truth to what I tell them, it ain't a monster but it ain't a toy either. I don't mention I got a toy in a bulk purchase. Did a little work on it and they can't destroy it either. Handy for pruning and light limbing.

Hu
Exactly. I'm not a professional or have a business that requires saws or other tools, but I have both and am always willing to help out a friend or acquaitance. I'll trailer a mower over to cut someone's grass if their mower's down, try to weld or fix something broke, come cut up a tree, etc., but not lend the same people my toys to do it.

There are exactly 2 people who are exceptions, both of whom have their own everything and no need to ask me. But they are exceptions not just because they're so anal about their own stuff (they are), but because in years past they were extremely trusting and generous with me when I didn't have squat to work with. Tools, keys to shops & toolboxes, saws, vehicles, whatever. Maybe they recognized a fellow OCD case. But everything I used was put EXACTLY back where it came from, clean and it place (end wrenches not only in order but turned the right way in the box, etc.). Those kind of guys are safe to lend anything to. Plus they still have tons more and better stuff than me (except saws or guns).

Also consider liability. Saws are *dangerous tools* they just are. there are no do-overs for screwups. Someone who can't afford a cheap used saw (OK, there will be some exceptions here), will also not know how to run it,will break stuff, and for sure won't be wearing any personal protection gear. Won't know how to sharpen a chain, meaning they will push harder once dull, won't know simple maintenance and will most likely think "Oh well, don't have any two stroke mix, a little lawn mower gas for a few minutes won't hurt"..Stuff like that. Broken equipment, or they do something wrong and get hurt.

Your "friend" will turn on you, "He loaned me a defective dangerous saw" etc. Just getting back a broken saw could very well be the cheapest bad news you get.

many years ago, i lent my stihl 026 to my BIL. he used it for a few weeks and returned it. a while later, we had a storm come and blow trees down. naturally, i showed up with the old 26 went to work. someone next to me commented on how loud and fast the 26 was. after a while the 26 blew up and i always attributed it to my BIL putting ethanol in it while he had it. whatever the cause, i don't loan OPE to others anymore.

Believe it or not I'd lend any of my saws to one of my sisters.
There'd be a good chance that it could come back cleaner and sharper than when it left.
My "lend lists" is a very very short and as several have mentioned they'd be easier to borrow ME & the saw.

Couple of months ago was rebuilding a 261 for family friend. Fairly new saw, the guy said it just wouldn't start back after flush cutting a stump. Pulled it apart and piston was scorched on the exhaust side. He borrowed my rebuilt fateful 55 husky, with a tankful of fuel, to finish up the tree he had down. Anyway his saw got new piston, rings and cleaned up the jug (used the acid and scotchbrite process learned from you guys, thanks). When he picked his saw up I asked him what brand of oil and fuel was he using. That saw should not have scorched the piston for any normal reason. Found no air leaks, no lean running carb. no obvious cause of failure. He said what ever on the oil and regular pump gas. So I impressed upon him to use good Stihl or Husqvarna oil mixed properly with non ethanol fresh gas. He paid me and said he would. So I sharpened my old fateful 55 Husky and put her in the mule. Next time me and my son went to cut wood, the saw was empty. I filled her full of fuel and oil, first crank sounded funny but started right up. Ran a tank thru cutting wood, didn't really noticed any difference but next tank she didn't want to idle. So I tried to adjusted the carb not much better. Used my other saw to finish. Got back to shop pulled the muffler and it's scorched as hell. So I got me an education from him. No more loaners for saws. What was I thinking? This guy must not know how to mix fuel. Anyway you live and learn. But boy my life lessons sure are expensive. Wouldn't have took a pretty for that 55. Now I have to rebuild it again on my dime.

At the end of the day, there are far more people that have no idea how to properly maintain and run chainsaw than do, but that doesn't stop them from thinking they've got it all under control whether it's their own saw, their neighbors saw, a rental, or you're saw. A lot of times it goes poorly for the saw. There's also not a lot of people who take good care of their things. Usually how someone takes care of their stuff is a good indicator of how a borrowed item will be cared for.

funny a loaning thread should pop up today. i lent my BIL a bar and brand new chain this morning because he couldn't get any new chain cause everywhere that sells chain is closed new years. he brought the bar and chain back an hour ago all rocked to living hell :mad::mad::mad:. brain dead ****'n idiots i tell ya. won't happen again.

funny a loaning thread should pop up today. i lent my BIL a bar and brand new chain this morning because he couldn't get any new chain cause everywhere that sells chain is closed new years. he brought the bar and chain back an hour ago all rocked to living hell :mad::mad::mad:. brain dead ****'n idiots i tell ya. won't happen again.

How else was he supposed to get that cable buried in the back yard? Your saw works way better than a shovel!

Latest posts

Back