Just bought a 260 Pro

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, I have not run a 260 pro, my dad had an old 026 we used for years, not a bad saw, but as I recall, been a while, the 350 will cut circles around it, for a lot less money!! I know a few others that have them, wont bring them around, but the run the 350 and shake their heads in disgust.
Again, I am not picking a fight either, its all opinion, I may hate it, you may love it, I say it vibrates to much, you may not feel a thing. It's all subjective. No fight here, I am jus set in my ways, I "belive" in the 50cc class, Husky makes a better product. I wish Stihl would catch up, then Husky can come out with something new:ices_rofl:
To put things in perspective, read my thread on the 346, I am not proud, I just call it like I see it, fair enough?
Andy

What's the usual break in period for the 026/260?

A friend purchased an 026 from an old man who hardly ever used it. We used it to cut some firewood & it seemed like it lacked power. I told my friend that it was a 2 ring piston design & might take longer to break in. Am I right? It seemed like an excellent made saw but I was expecting it to cut faster in the 4-8 inch wood. I know that it has a non adjustable carb. Below the "H" on the cylinder cover there is nothing.

Just go back one year and read the posts and the 260 was the rage. Recommended by most folks here, except of course the husky fans. I bought it a little over a year ago based on the raving about it on this site
I think it would be advisable to consider the quality of advice givin. IMO its not such a good idea to get advice from a saw dealer or a brand loyal zealot of any persuassion. Take peoples oppinion who have owned and operated for more than a few hours both saws in question.

Whatever.
If your happy that's all that matters.:jester:

outdoortype said:
A friend purchased an 026 from an old man who hardly ever used it. We used it to cut some firewood & it seemed like it lacked power. I told my friend that it was a 2 ring piston design & might take longer to break in. Am I right? It seemed like an excellent made saw but I was expecting it to cut faster in the 4-8 inch wood. I know that it has a non adjustable carb. Below the "H" on the cylinder cover there is nothing.

On the break-in, Stihl says 5 to 15 tanks of fuel.
Also what chain, is on the saw, some of the low kick back
chain don't cut as fast as other low kick back chains.

bwalker said:
I think it would be advisable to consider the quality of advice givin. IMO its not such a good idea to get advice from a saw dealer or a brand loyal zealot of any persuassion. Take peoples oppinion who have owned and operated for more than a few hours both saws in question.

Hmmm.. what if the advise comes from guys that are two or three out of your three (owner operator, dealer -employee or owner , zealot)?

As I'm at least two out of your three, I resent the classification.

This argument has been had several times before, but it's unfair to lump everyone in the "untrustworthy" category just because of some affiliation. Let each stand on his own merits.

bwalker said:
I owned a 260 till I bought a 346. Bye bye 260! The 260 is the most antiquated, underperforming pro saw in the 50cc class.

Haha. Don't forget to tell the rest of the story Ben, it will outlive any Husky ever made, just stating well known facts. Not the fastest, not the smoothest but try to outlive a 260 and you got your job cut out for ya.

Haha. Don't forget to tell the rest of the story Ben, it will outlive any Husky ever made, just stating well known facts. Not the fastest, not the smoothest but try to outlive a 260 and you got your job cut out for ya.
That MAY be true, but it could be horse **** too.

Hmmm.. what if the advise comes from guys that are two or three out of your three (owner operator, dealer -employee or owner , zealot)?
Andy, nothing personal, but I dont trust single line dealers to be objective. I also dont trust the guy that runs the piss on(insert brand) stickers on their trucks.
BTW Stihl should drop the 290 and sell the 260 in its place at 290 prices that would be great and it would suit that market perfectly.

sawinredneck said:
No, I have not run a 260 pro, my dad had an old 026 we used for years, not a bad saw, but as I recall, been a while, the 350 will cut circles around it, for a lot less money!! I know a few others that have them, wont bring them around, but the run the 350 and shake their heads in disgust.
Again, I am not picking a fight either, its all opinion, I may hate it, you may love it, I say it vibrates to much, you may not feel a thing. It's all subjective. No fight here, I am jus set in my ways, I "belive" in the 50cc class, Husky makes a better product. I wish Stihl would catch up, then Husky can come out with something new:ices_rofl:
To put things in perspective, read my thread on the 346, I am not proud, I just call it like I see it, fair enough?
Andy

Brother Andrew have you stirred up a bee's nest here,lolol. Fear not ole feller its ok if your not too impressed with your new Husky, I sell Stihl's to many like you,LOLOL. I had to say that for I had a long time logger in the shop today that was talking saws and he bluntly said he'd run em all and only one holds up to the task year in year out year after year. He said Poulan beatem all,LOLOL. Naaaaaaaaa he's 100% Stihl for like you he wasn't impressed.

outdoortype said:
A friend purchased an 026 from an old man who hardly ever used it. We used it to cut some firewood & it seemed like it lacked power. I told my friend that it was a 2 ring piston design & might take longer to break in. Am I right?

I'm hoping so. I'm less than impressed with the power so far. I mean it's a nice saw, comfortable (hardly any vibration), very easy to start, but it just bogs to easy in the cut. My ancient Echo 451 does better.

I just finished tank 1, I hope it picks up a LOT by tank 15.

bwalker said:
That MAY be true, but it could be horse **** too.

Andy, nothing personal, but I dont trust single line dealers to be objective. I also dont trust the guy that runs the piss on(insert brand) stickers on their trucks.
BTW Stihl should drop the 290 and sell the 260 in its place at 290 prices that would be great and it would suit that market perfectly.

Well lets hope its not horse **** cause if it is those FACTS aren't gonna taste too good are they,LOL

bwalker said:

Great idea, but competition will have to move mountains to change Stihl's course - they sell boats loads of both saws. In any case, neither of them meet 2007 EPA or EU, and both will be phased out sooner then later...

The real question is what Stihl replaces them with... I might even know more a about that in week or two.. If I can get someone to talk. :)

THALL10326 said:
Brother Andrew have you stirred up a bee's nest here,lolol. Fear not ole feller its ok if your not too impressed with your new Husky, I sell Stihl's to many like you,LOLOL. I had to say that for I had a long time logger in the shop today that was talking saws and he bluntly said he'd run em all and only one holds up to the task year in year out year after year. He said Poulan beatem all,LOLOL. Naaaaaaaaa he's 100% Stihl for like you he wasn't impressed.

I don't think I stirred it up, I think I dropped that sucker on my head LOL!!! My dad by the way, runs a Husky 350 and swears it's the best saw he ever owned! I still swear by the 350 as the best ban for buck saw there is. I am ver impressed with the speed at which the 346 cuts, just shoked at how truely limited the powerband is, but I will be checking some things, and I know the potential is there, may just have to grow some brass ones and go Gypo on it with the ole rattail file:cheers:
Andy

Climber8483 said:
Love the saw, but having one issue, the saw came with the green safety chain, I'm assuming an RM2, being that I was breaking in the saw I usually turn the bar oiler up higher than I usually do, and was not even through the frirst tank of gas and the blade was dulling dramatically, got halfway through the next tank and I had to swap out the chain, glad I picked up a RSC as a replacement chain. The wood was clean and I was cutting through the bark, but I ran 4 or 5 tanks through with the RSC and did not have any dulling issues, any reason as to why the RM2 dulled so quickly?

Climber8483, I wan't to apologize to you, I have help take you thread
off track and I sorry.

Your question was about your chain dulling very fast, and I can't
answer that, but I can tell you that Sunday was doing some thinning
and cutting about a 14" dia Post Oak when 1/2 way through the cut,
it was like I had the chain on backwards, so I pushed a little harder
and it started to smoke the wood. pulled the saw out chain looked
good, grabbed another saw, started cut from the other side, got it
cut down, but dulled that chain also. The tree had started to rot
on the inside and rotted wood dulled both chains

Old, antiquated? OK, I can live with that. Never owned a 026/260 but have run many in my tree service days, best, most DEPENDABLE limbing saw I used, short of my affinity for 028 Supers. Have several of those and still my favorite midwieght saw to this day, absolutely bulletproof. Not the best AV, air filtration or power but to me one of the best handling saws ever made, good ergonomics, for me. Can run one all day, every day and feel no ill effects. If Stihl could bring them back from the archives I'd buy two tomorrow. Old design does not always mean bad design. I know the 026 was supposed to replace the 028, but always liked the shape/design of the 28 better. Plus the rounded rear design pulls up better through the tree than that squared airbox:D . All my opinion from a tree guy, climber, wildland firefighter and firewood/sawlog cutter, not a dealer, zealot or absolutely committed to any brand (except Stihl 028s:rock: ) I run orange and white saws, orange saws and couple different shades of yellow.

There are plenty of new saws I wouldn't use for a boat anchor.

Last edited:
sawinredneck said:
I don't think I stirred it up, I think I dropped that sucker on my head LOL!!! My dad by the way, runs a Husky 350 and swears it's the best saw he ever owned! I still swear by the 350 as the best ban for buck saw there is. I am ver impressed with the speed at which the 346 cuts, just shoked at how truely limited the powerband is, but I will be checking some things, and I know the potential is there, may just have to grow some brass ones and go Gypo on it with the ole rattail file:cheers:
Andy

Naaaaaaaa you did ok Andrew. Does seem odd though the problem of the chain coming to a halt at the touch of a finger is being overlook and resolved by modding the motor, kinda extreme fix if ya ask me. Is that saw oiling well enough for that high speed chain spinning around that bar? As you know a hot chain sticks to the bar like glue. That may be some of the problem, just my 2 cents.

THALL10326 said:
Naaaaaaaa you did ok Andrew. Does seem odd though the problem of the chain coming to a halt at the touch of a finger is being overlook and resolved by modding the motor, kinda extreme fix if ya ask me. Is that saw oiling well enough for that high speed chain spinning around that bar? As you know a hot chain sticks to the bar like glue. That may be some of the problem, just my 2 cents.

The thought crossed my mind, but the oiler is cranked up and the chain is nice and oily, no heat marks on the bar etc. Pull it out of the wood, or just ease off a hair and she is ready to go again.

Prolly better carry this on in my thread, so as not to derail this one to badly LOL!!!

Lakeside53 said:
Great idea, but competition will have to move mountains to change Stihl's course - they sell boats loads of both saws. In any case, neither of them meet 2007 EPA or EU, and both will be phased out sooner then later...

The real question is what Stihl replaces them with... I might even know more a about that in week or two.. If I can get someone to talk. :)
May be only catalysators will be added:clap:

Latest posts

Back