Just Bought a 361 - Should I Upgrade to 441?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
overbuy with as advice????????? no way

@muleyJ, what's wrong with you? Dont you know that everything recommended on this site has to be overspecified by a minimum of 15-20%???

Just kidding, I agree.

Most Stihl dealers around here would ship you out the door with at most an ms310 for these purposes, and you would be Lucky if a Husky dealer could even remember what saws they sell and put the chain on for u. You get good advice on this site...............most of the time, but when ur asking about buying saws its never cheap advice. I found this out, these guys know saws, but sometimes you are urged to overbuy. Thats not a bad thing, sometimes you just have to remember what you are looking for, and what your budget is.

Just get the 441 and plan on getting a 50cc later on. After running the 70cc for a while you will love the little saw when limbing.

If I could have only one saw I would more than likely go with a 361 or equivalent.
Don't get me wrong my 7900 gets used a lot but my 5100 is used more. If your trees require a big saw then get a big saw.

Wow!!! 83 responses, spanning 6 pages!!! Some of the stuff I've read had me spitting beer out my nose. I really don't know what I'm going to do yet, as I don't think there is any general consensus leaning one way or the other. I want to be prepared for all situations - meaning somehow, bigger is better. On the other hand, I don't want to be an a$$ who's trying to compensate for some other short comings.

If I'm going to want to want to buy a 70cc saw in 6 months, I need to save myself the wife hassle and do it now.
:dizzy:

Thank you all and feel free to keep them coming...

Its not like you are considering a 395 or an 066. Something that makes me laugh is this, back in the '60s homeowner type saws wieghed a lot more than my 371. They were all metal, for starters. But people still ran them, and the big pro saws were like 40lbs. So I guess even the weekend warriors have gotten weaker. Lol.

If I'm going to want to want to buy a 70cc saw in 6 months, I need to save myself the wife hassle and do it now.

/thread just do it and don't look back, good luck.

I have a 55 husky then bought a 6401 makita and have the 84cc BB kit on the way. Power is addictive and I'm only a weekend firewood warrior ,but I'm busy so when I go cut wood I like to get as much done as fast as possible. So theres no replacement for displacement.
If I was cutting for 8hrs a day I can see how some are saying you would be tired with the bigger saw but when you go out a couple days a week or month it gets more wood in the trailer faster and makes it more fun to boot.

uh-oh CAD, get out NOW!!!!!!

Wow!!! 83 responses, spanning 6 pages!!! Some of the stuff I've read had me spitting beer out my nose. I really don't know what I'm going to do yet, as I don't think there is any general consensus leaning one way or the other. I want to be prepared for all situations - meaning somehow, bigger is better. On the other hand, I don't want to be an a$$ who's trying to compensate for some other short comings.

For sure, if you have an inkling of an idea that you might want more than one saw then the 70cc and 50cc combo is the way to go at the start. Three years ago I posted asking what would be the best "only saw" got the 361, then I came back to this site and.........................................................
Now I have a bunch I don't need, but I still want them all and damn if there not all fun as hell. Beginning to sound like its already starting for you, the CAD, so maybe u better just get the 441. If you are lucky it might save you the cost of a 362 down the road, but probably not!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

When you speak of compensation, and shortcomings, it's called.....CAD :greenchainsaw:

Okay...I'll 'fess up...I log for a living and that means running a 660 for a faller's day when I'm working. It's a great saw and it suits the work I do.

But...I also have a 361 that I use when I'm chasing firewood, clearing brush, cutting peckerpoles, pruning rose bushes...real light work. It's a good little saw for it's purpose but it's no powerhouse and if I'm cutting full bar it works a lot harder than is good for it if I want it to last.

A 441 or even a 460 might suit you better. It can just loaf through the wood you want to cut and, properly taken care of, will last you forever. It's a lot better to have a little too much saw than not quite enough.

There isn't enough weight difference to matter to anyone healthy enough to be running a saw in the first place. These guys that worry about a pound or two of saw weight should probably take up macrame'. All saws are heavy by the end of the day.

What a 361 will do with a little effort, a 441 or a 460 will do with ease.

Its not like you are considering a 395 or an 066. Something that makes me laugh is this, back in the '60s homeowner type saws wieghed a lot more than my 371. They were all metal, for starters. But people still ran them, and the big pro saws were like 40lbs. So I guess even the weekend warriors have gotten weaker. Lol.

or maybe smarter?

Okay...I'll 'fess up...I log for a living and that means running a 660 for a faller's day when I'm working. It's a great saw and it suits the work I do.

But...I also have a 361 that I use when I'm chasing firewood, clearing brush, cutting peckerpoles, pruning rose bushes...real light work. It's a good little saw for it's purpose but it's no powerhouse and if I'm cutting full bar it works a lot harder than is good for it if I want it to last.

A 441 or even a 460 might suit you better. It can just loaf through the wood you want to cut and, properly taken care of, will last you forever. It's a lot better to have a little too much saw than not quite enough.

There isn't enough weight difference to matter to anyone healthy enough to be running a saw in the first place. These guys that worry about a pound or two of saw weight should probably take up macrame'. All saws are heavy by the end of the day.

What a 361 will do with a little effort, a 441 or a 460 will do with ease.

Muley, listen to this man. A faller, not a wannabe faller like me, the real deal. The crack about macrame, now that ain't nice. Lol.

Muley, listen to this man. A faller, not a wannabe faller like me, the real deal. The crack about macrame, now that ain't nice. Lol.

What am I listening for? Sounds to me like he said he's a pro logger that owns a 361 for cutting firewood. I'm not debating the fact that a 70cc saw will outcut a 60cc saw. That is not, nor have I ever perceived that to be the purpose of this thread. Which one to have is a matter of personal preference. I said, as did Gologit that the 361 is a saw that is up to the tasks of most any firewood cutter. If you desire a larger saw then by all means get one. I know in the realm of AS you are a b**** if you don't have pack a 5.5hp pro saw with a 28" bar as your single firewood saw. The reality is that's overkill to the Nth degree for an uninfected(CAD-) wood burner. I mean no offense by any of this because I am as guilty as the next AS guy of owning way more than too much saw for my uses. Practicality still says the 361 is the best all around firewood saw that I own.

Guess what!

I just reread my post and realized: Hi my name is MuleyJ and I am a sawaholic. I am no longer in denial. I am now in the acceptance phase of my sickness. I know and understand that the consequences of my actions blah blah blah..................................................what was i talkin about? Ahh **** it.

Oh yeah! Anybody know where I could find a deal on a 7900, cause I watched the vids of Snelling and Fat and Andy and the gang. That 7900 has my name written all over it. It looked BADA**. Could somebody please hook me up? I'll do ALMOST anything man .:greenchainsaw:

Well, at least the ALMOST makes me think CAD is not quite as bad as crack. I hope.

Last edited:
Seems an eternal dilemma to find a consensus here on AS to find out what saw to use for a firewood guy...:cry:

Basically we have the professional loggers on one side saying "bigger is better" and the occasional cutters on the other side that prefer a lighter, universal saw.

I am a pretty small guy with a bad back, but my overall physical condition is quite good, and I love to work outdoors as long as my back allows it, hence weight is very important to me.

I have deep respect for pro loggers that have to carry these +70cc saws with big bars all day... I don't feel my arms anymore after toting a simple hedge cutter for more than 4 hours. But if these pro's prefer it that way, there must be reason for it.

If I would get my firewood in precut lengths and all I needed to is bucking, then I would definately go for a 441 with a 20" bar. However, if you have to cut up entire trees, like most firewooders do, then the time needed for the small stuff is much more important than to cut up the stem. It's NOT fun limbing with a bigger saw, and it will wear you out quickly. You also become unsafe when getting tired. A smaller saw will keep you going much longer and safer. Yes, you will spent some more time cutting the big stuff, but the cutting fun lasts longer.

Did I say the 361/20" bar max is all you need for firewood ? And a MS390 would do the job probably fine as well. But not so much fun.

I just feel 20 years younger when I swing my trusty MS200 in the air and watch that small stuff fly...

Like Thall said, the oldtimers in the good ole days would have killed for the lightweight power houses we have today.

361 will scrounge firewood fine but the 441 will do it better as long as the extra weight/bulk does not bother you. If you do not see yourself cutting mostly 20"+ trees than save the money and keep the 361.

Per the OP:

At the moment, I still have the 290, and was thinking about putting a 16" bar on it with the yellow chain. That's why I was thinking about moving up a bit to a 441.
Thanks!

This isn't a thread deciding on a perfect firewood saw. The man told you he already has a 290. Based on that he isn't going to notice any difference between the 290 and 361 - he has an expensive paperweight now. I think he intuitively knows this and thus why he is considering trading the 361 in on something else.

Stihl 290:
56.5 cc
13 lbs

Stihl 361:
59 cc
12.3 lbs

Stihl 441:
70.7 cc
14.6 lbs

Get the bigger saw while funds allow.

Seems an eternal dilemma to find a consensus here on AS to find out what saw to use for a firewood guy...:cry:

Basically we have the professional loggers on one side saying "bigger is better" and the occasional cutters on the other side that prefer a lighter, universal saw.

I am a pretty small guy with a bad back, but my overall physical condition is quite good, and I love to work outdoors as long as my back allows it, hence weight is very important to me.

I have deep respect for pro loggers that have to carry these +70cc saws with big bars all day... I don't feel my arms anymore after toting a simple hedge cutter for more than 4 hours. But if these pro's prefer it that way, there must be reason for it.

If I would get my firewood in precut lengths and all I needed to is bucking, then I would definately go for a 441 with a 20" bar. However, if you have to cut up entire trees, like most firewooders do, then the time needed for the small stuff is much more important than to cut up the stem. It's NOT fun limbing with a bigger saw, and it will wear you out quickly. You also become unsafe when getting tired. A smaller saw will keep you going much longer and safer. Yes, you will spent some more time cutting the big stuff, but the cutting fun lasts longer.

Did I say the 361/20" bar max is all you need for firewood ? And a MS390 would do the job probably fine as well. But not so much fun.

I just feel 20 years younger when I swing my trusty MS200 in the air and watch that small stuff fly...

Like Thall said, the oldtimers in the good ole days would have killed for the lightweight power houses we have today.

Good post. Are we to believe that all firewood cutters are inexperienced hacks whose experience should be discounted? Some of us have a lot of hours behind a saw felling, limbing and blocking trees. Bigger isn't really much faster in 20" wood...but there are two advantages which do apply:

1. You can run a longer bar; meaning you won't have to bend over so much while blocking.

2. If you cut at altitude, a bigger saw can make up some of the horsepower disadvantages from the thinner air.

you are telling me a 441/460 w/a 25-28" bar is way faster in 6-12" wood. no way,i'll take a 361/362 w/an 18-20" bar. while your are tripping over and dragging your hog around,this cat will be smokin' through the wood. bigger wood yes,but not in your average fire logs.

Judging by your posts, you are just trying to get under peoples skin, if you call a 660 a toy then my guess is that you bought it just to look cool. Yes I have logged with a 395 in my arms all day that's 12 hours not the 8 you are used to and even a 3120. No you will not out cut a 70'' saw in small wood, and If you know how to use a long bar you won't put it in the dirt all the time. And p.s. this cat will be done with the work why you are spending the time trying to figure out which 60cc saw to use because you don't want to get them dirty. Spend a year working in the woods for a living and then tell everyone on here that you know it all.
Have a great day

Right about the wife, wrong about the saw. Within 6 month you will want to buy several saws, including some 70 cc,or, as I prefer, 5.5 + hp :greenchainsaw: CAD will strike you when you least expect it!

Let me sum this all up.

1. Keep the 361 or trade for the 441. And go cut wood and have fun. And
stop reading AS.

2. Keep reading here on AS. Keep the 361. Than in 6 months trade the 290
for a 460. Have the 361 ported. Than have the 460 ported. P/u a 211
becuse you don't need it but becuse you just don't have one. Get 211
ported. Start selling firewood and get a 441 for your helper. Get the 441
ported. Get a boom truck becuase it was a good deal. Get some top handle
saws. Get them ported. Get divorced. Go into tree service bussiness, drink
a lot, and post alot on AS and tell us how happy you are about finding AS.

Live Happily Ever After!

Good Luck!

Back