Just Bought a 361 - Should I Upgrade to 441?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
???? I can assure you that small inconvenience will be met with a huge increase in air filtration ability of the 362 and about 10 times less air filter cleaning, plus it has a prefilter unlike the 361.

My dealer popped the 362 air filter cover off faster with a scrench than someone could unscrew the 361's filter cover.

Is the 361 a bad saw, absolutely not, but the 362 is a great step forward.

My opinion,

Sam

:poke::poke:

Too late!

Right now, I'm trying to fool myself into thinking that this will be my last saw for another 10 or 15 years - my wife can only hope....

Too late, you are alredy infected. So u dun good with the 70cc 50cc combo. Then theres 90cc and you gotta have two.............. You will be lucky to make it a year without replacing your small saw if you stay here.

No one that enters this site can ever be saved! EVER.

We need to start comparing apples to apples here....

you have to realize where the opinions come from.

My kid and I went into a burn area 3/4hr drive, where there was a bunch of crooked stuff not fit for posts and too small for pulp.. left on the ground in nothing longer than 6 ft.
stuff had the burn knocked off with the limber.
I had a 2T with a 8x12 box, and a 42cc saw with 16" bar.
it took us maybe 4 hours to put 2 cords up, cut into 16" lengths.
a week later we went back and did it again.

Are you telling me that a guy with a 046 would have been so much faster that it would have been only 3/4 day used instead of a full day?

come on... the OP is putting up 6 cords... he needs to allow about a cord a day, and with the 361, he'll be fine! Does he really need to cut all his wood in ONE day?

Fetchemup, I just bought a 441 25" bar for firewood. It is a little clumsy but after 4 tanks it is starting to really scream. I bought a big saw cause my firewood comes from the city and everyone gets the tops and noone wants a 30" trunk. I sometimes wonder if I should have got a 361 but it's done now. I can say it is a very fussy starter, it floods easy. I even thought the coil went out . It took 50 pulls and then started. I'm not all that happy with it yet, I hope that changes. I can say it goes through wood in a hurry compared to my 034 (361's little bro) hope this helps.

Fetchemup, I just bought a 441 25" bar for firewood. It is a little clumsy but after 4 tanks it is starting to really scream. I bought a big saw cause my firewood comes from the city and everyone gets the tops and noone wants a 30" trunk. I sometimes wonder if I should have got a 361 but it's done now. I can say it is a very fussy starter, it floods easy. I even thought the coil went out . It took 50 pulls and then started. I'm not all that happy with it yet, I hope that changes. I can say it goes through wood in a hurry compared to my 034 (361's little bro) hope this helps.
Open the L screw a 1/4 turn and see how it it starts.

I've only run two tanks through it - but was happy with it. I did flood it once, but I didn't think much of it. I'm glad I decided to move up to this saw.

I put mine on full choke, and pull until you here it pop or catch (just barely try to start). This generally takes about 3 pulls, never more than 4-5. Then before the next pull, put it on high speed idle. It always catches on the next pull. See if this helps you.

I put mine on full choke, and pull until you here it pop or catch (just barely try to start). This generally takes about 3 pulls, never more than 4-5. Then before the next pull, put it on high speed idle. It always catches on the next pull. See if this helps you.

+1

2 to 3 pulls at choke, 1 pull at fast idle let her warm up a minute and then were cutt'n!

I have both the 361 and a 441 and they are pretty different saws. I am somewhat of a chainsaw enthusiast and i am working on buying every pro model saw. next is a 260 pro then. but i keep a 20" on my 361 and a 25" on my 441. I cut alot of wood so i like to have a saw for just about every cutting condition. im not going to use a 20" saw for something larger than 20". But if you are not cutting alot of wood sometimes just hold your money and stay with a 20" 361.

Thanks guys for the advice on starting the 441. was starting to figure out how to start it and was just like you guys said. I will turn out the L screw 1/4 turn. Thanks.

Alright... After thinking about it all night - and a scouting session in the woods this morning, I gained a little better perspective of the work I have ahead of me, so I went back and picked up the 441. .

Good choice.
You'll be very happy with the 441.
As someone said: choke- two quick poulls, take choke off-one quick pull. Away she goes every single time.

Good luck.

JJP, I will give that a try and hope it works. Stihls don't have an easy reputation for starting in my book.

If you only had one saw and only cut firewood, you would have many warm winter nights just owning the 361.

That said...

I don't see where you are going to notice any difference in a firewood situation between a 290 and 361. It's a 56.5 cc saw vs a 59 cc saw; the only difference is a little bit of weight. One of those two saws is going to collect a lot of dust. If you aren't going to go any bigger than the 361, then just get your money back and buy a bunch of RSC chains.

I would buy one size bigger (actually, I did) so you can power through the occasional larger round with a 25" bar. I spent quite a bit of time at the dealership holding the 361 in one hand and the 441 in the other. Put em down, switched hands and repeated. I didn't notice much difference just holding them, but you definitely will in the cut. The 441 is smooth, powerful and runs longer on a tank of fuel than the 361. Type in '441' into the search box above, grab a brew and start reading; you'll be waiting for the door to open tomorrow to trade that 361 in on a 441.

100% correct. I'm not a pro by any means, just a landowner with a moderate addiction to chainsaws thanks to this forum... I have a 346xp, fairly similar in size to your 290, it has a 16" bar and just rips. I bought a 361, and had it for a week. It's not that I didn't like it, but it was just too similar to my 346. I went up to a 460 with a 20" bar and love it. The majority of the hardwood I'm using for firewood is less then 20". My 346 does fine in it, species dependent. If I run into a situation where I need a bigger saw, I have one with significantly more power. I'm also pursuing the possibilities of milling with my 460. Do I need a 460 for firewood? Not really, a 361 would be fine for your homeowner who heats with wood, especially if you only could have one saw. I have some significant felling in the future mostly of 28" plus pine for my timber frame home I'm going to be building and a 50cc and 70cc saw combo is ideal for me. I just wanted some more options for the future. If I could only have one saw it would be a dolmar 7900. :chainsaw:

Good choice.
You'll be very happy with the 441.
As someone said: choke- two quick poulls, take choke off-one quick pull. Away she goes every single time.

Good luck.

Starting my 036 I choke it and have to pull maybe five times to get a cough, then choke off and it starts on one pull. As the manual says. My 441 does not like this, and I use the above method. Choke on, two pulls, choke off, one pull and start, every time. [for starting cold, I mean.]

Lets get this straight, you got the fire place to save money on gas bills. If you realy want to save some $$ and be WARM, get a wood stove, forget the new saw. Keep the 290, give it a muffler mod, set the high speed jet to 1.25 turns and cut wood

firewood saws ,090 or 441

just wondering if the 441 would be better for limbing than my 090, i only run 16" .325 full skip with lightened bar and have drilled holes in air filter to save weight . have thought that perhaps the 084 with a 12' reduced weight bar and full skip .325 might be a bit easier on the back but still have enough power if i port it and fit a race pipe .

ps have already tried 076 with 36" bar to save bending over for the really small limbs but it didnt help .

pps , anyone know a good chiropractor

Last edited:
Not sure if that previous post was a lame attempt at sarcasm or not :censored: - I'll let it go either way.

As it turns out, the main source of firewood I have is the stuff that's 30" and above that the chippers at the tree service I work for can't handle.

My 441 has done a nice job getting me through 36" + oak sections in a timely manner.

I'm really glad I moved up and bought a little bigger saw.

Lets get this straight, you got the fire place to save money on gas bills. If you realy want to save some $$ and be WARM, get a wood stove, forget the new saw. Keep the 290, give it a muffler mod, set the high speed jet to 1.25 turns and cut wood

Wood stove doesn't work in my living room - that was what I wanted initially.

Kept the 290
Love the 441
Fireplace easily keeps the house in the 80's...
Life is good.

I'm one of those weird people that bought an MS390 and really like it. I'd really be fooling myself if I said I needed any other saw.

Back