Just bought a New Dolmar 7910

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigsbetter

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Well I bought the new Dolmar7910. I have a Husqvarna 350 and love it, never had an issue with it for the 10 years I've owned it, and I love Stihls as well, but I wanted something different this time, and something to beat my brothers modded Stihl 460. I've only got about 2 or 3 tanks of gas through it, and it no where comes close to cutting as fast as his 460. I'm sure the Dolmar will get better, but has anyone done any mods to this saw yet? I've heard of a 'breather kit' but haven't been able to find much info on it.?? I guess when I was reading all the reviews on Dolmars, the 7900 was the saw to have and the 7910 is down in horsepower a little and tops out at lower rpm. Can adjusted with a carb. adjustment? Will my dealer adjust it for maximum power or will they tell me that it has to be within spec of emissions standards? I certainly don't want to hurt my new saw, but also want it to scream like all I've been reading on the 7900's

Congrats on the new saw! Now you only have 23 to go for a dolmette!

nevu2ema.jpg

Did we not go over this already?? I even posted a video comparison of a 7900 and 460 with a duel port muffler, and you saw how close they were. In the other thread over at FF you said the 460 had a MM, now you say it's modded, which is it? At this point I think the T word comes into play. A stock 7900/7910 will never be stronger than a modded 460.

Well I bought the new Dolmar7910. I have a Husqvarna 350 and love it, never had an issue with it for the 10 years I've owned it, and I love Stihls as well, but I wanted something different this time, and something to beat my brothers modded Stihl 460. I've only got about 2 or 3 tanks of gas through it, and it no where comes close to cutting as fast as his 460. I'm sure the Dolmar will get better, but has anyone done any mods to this saw yet? I've heard of a 'breather kit' but haven't been able to find much info on it.?? I guess when I was reading all the reviews on Dolmars, the 7900 was the saw to have and the 7910 is down in horsepower a little and tops out at lower rpm. Can adjusted with a carb. adjustment? Will my dealer adjust it for maximum power or will they tell me that it has to be within spec of emissions standards? I certainly don't want to hurt my new saw, but also want it to scream like all I've been reading on the 7900's

The 2 "big" differences between a 7900 and a 7910 are:

-The restricted muffler (SLR) on the 7910
-The coil, 12.800rpm max (7910) vs 13500 rpm max for the 7900.

You can try to get a 7900 muffler, or just mod your stock muffler. But both of them are great saws!

Did we not go over this already?? I even posted a video comparison of a 7900 and 460 with a duel port muffler, and you saw how close they were. In the other thread over at FF you said the 460 had a MM, now you say it's modded, which is it? At this point I think the T word comes into play. A stock 7900/7910 will never be stronger than a modded 460.

Yep, I think we did!!

I'm almost certain the 7900 muffler won't fit the 7910. The jugs are different between the 7900 and 7910.

If you wanted a 7900 you should have built a 6400 or 6421 with a 7900 top end.

Like what was said over at F.F. Burn some fuel. Run 10 tanks through it then see how it is.

Running a 20" bar the 7910 feels right at home. A 28" bar/skip chain and the 7900 shines much better. Both stock saws. The 7910 feels and sounds faster than it is.
But they have different attitudes. I like them both.

******I've ported 4 7910s. I gut the muffler and use the same timing numbers as in the 7900. They do real well. ****

I've been thinking about your 7910 videos Mastermind!

Someone claimed that the 7910 weights and performes like the 7900, but I never believed that was true. The SLR system obviously is counter productive regarding performance, which are reflected in the specs, as is the higher weight.

Someone claimed that the 7910 weights and performes like the 7900, but I never believed that was true. The SLR system obviously is counter productive regarding performance, which are reflected in the specs, as is the higher weight.

That's too bad. I thought the idea of SLR was to make it like a compact piped hot saw.

Where does the higher weight come from? A heavier muffler?

Good question, there are contradicting info around regarding the true weight of the 7900 - but it could be just that it gained weight during production, without the specs being changed? If so, it wouldn't be the first time that happened.....:confused:

The first one of these I did, I made to muffler outlet too large, and the owner said it cost it in torque. I've since went with just gutting the muffler, and opening up the area under the stock deflector. They seem very strong to me, but I don't get really good feedback sometimes.

Anytime I do a saw for someone that thinks it's less than stellar, I'd love to know about it. That's really the only way I can make my saws the very best.

When I said the 460 was modded, I meant it has a modded muffler and carb adjusted accordingly, and an 8 tooth sprocket. No internal engine mods. I wish I hadn't cut all my 5 cords of firewood up allready this year...now I'm looking for wood to cut to get this new saw broke in! I'm goona get the saw broke in, and wait for further, minor mods for the 7910 to be out for a while before I do anything. I want some time and 'useage' on the mods to test them out so I know which ones work the best.

When I said the 460 was modded, I meant it has a modded muffler and carb adjusted accordingly, and an 8 tooth sprocket. No internal engine mods. I wish I hadn't cut all my 5 cords of firewood up allready this year...now I'm looking for wood to cut to get this new saw broke in! I'm goona get the saw broke in, and wait for further, minor mods for the 7910 to be out for a while before I do anything. I want some time and 'useage' on the mods to test them out so I know which ones work the best.

It doesn't hurt at all to be more than one year out with your firewood stacks ;)

Actually works out better for most good hardwoods to be stacked and drying at least two years...

so there ya go! go cut way more wood and play with the saw!

That was easy.....and if you can't because no place to stack it, sell it!

The timing numbers and compression are the same between the 7900 and the 7910. The carbs are the same, I advance the timing a few degrees on both.......they are the same saw. The coil and muffler are different. Of course the jug is cast a bit different because of the tube in the muffler.

Here's some pics.....

Latest posts

Back