just bought my first pro saw ms362

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blairito

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello I bought a MS362 yesterday for $360 yesterday in good condition, did i get a deal?
the piston looks new upon looking through the exhaust
the bar is a es bar with replaceable tip, it had quite a bit of burrs on it, i have removed the majority before I sliced open my thumb pretty bad and spread blood everywhere in our apt lol, lesson learned, wear proper ppe
being a plumber I should know.
will my ms290 bar and chain fit on it if i switch rim drives from 3/8 to .325?

A 362 has enough power for a 7 tooth 3/8, you might want to go with a 8 tooth or a .325 a 7 tooth with low rakers. I think your 290 will collect a lot of dust. Steve

Personally, I'd stick with a 7 tooth 3/8 setup for that saw. Or an 8 tooth .325. 8 tooth 3/8 would be pretty touchy, and I don't think the clutch would like it very much.

OP, yes, the bar will interchange with your 290 bar. You got, all you need to do is make sure the bar, sprocket, and chain have the same pitch, and that the chain and bar have a matching gauge.

I think you should grab a .325 sprocket for the 362 (left coast supplies has them CHEAP) and see which chain pitch you prefer on the 362. Heck, get a 7 tooth and an 8 tooth while you're at it.

Congrats on the purchase. Sounds like a good deal.

If it's in good shape I'd say so. I got mine a while ago new and paid $7xx for it. I run a 20" everyday and a 25" when needed. Ran the 25" yesterday and will say just remember when going to the 25" let the saw do all the work. I have a tendency to lean on them pretty hard and with the 25" I bogged her down a few times. Great do it all saw in my opinion and it's the only saw I own.
I am looking for a 066/660 though, but in reality my 362 can do everything I need.

Good luck, nice score.

so heres the update, , the saw runs but hesitated, upon inspection the saw has had a helicoil type repair done on the cylinder, it was done a tad crooked so the spark plug leaks a bit. you can hear it hiss when pulling the starter slowly, i would have mistook this for my pressing the decompression button when i first looked at it.
and never would have seen it with the plug in place, my bad.
i tore the saw down, took everything apart to clean and inspect, a few things missing like the buffer on the handle that is star shaped, felling spike i hope the plug issue can be fixed considering the piston and cylinder are otherwise excellent as is the rest of it.
the saw leaks oil, looks to be from around the pump, after i took off the clutch,haven't gotten into it though. it does oil the chain.
I'm thinking farmertec if it can't be saved, i was quoted 360 for eom p and c

A lot of the oil leaking can be stopped or slowed up greatly if the saw is flipped up on its side, oil cap facing up, and open the oil cap to let the pressure out. I have more than 40 saws sitting ready to go cutting, with oil in their tanks and they could and at one time did leak a lot of chain oil. Have cut that down appreciatively by letting the pressure out, works even better if the saws have been used in cold weather and then brought into heated surroundings. Let the saw warm up to surrounding temps and then open the cap. I have often brought in a cold saw and opened the cap right away leaving the saw on its side til it warms up, just have to remember to close that cap tightly before sitting it back right side up or that oil leak will be a rather big one!

I'm going to order the farmertec p and c, in the mean time, i can maybe find a shop that can fix it

Back