just bought new Stihl ms361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

509bbc

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
About two or three weeks ago I posted a topic about my old Stihl 044 as being tired, was thinking of rebuilding it. I ended up selling it to a freind of my brother for $400.00. He knew how I took care it so he had no problem buying it. A couple of days ago he said he rebuilt the carb, and put a new piston kit in it with rings and crank seals and new gasket and seal kit. He also did work on the muffler. He said it runs really great now. This guy has a bunch of Stihls. He really likes them. But any way I needed a new saw. I was thinking of getting something a little smaller and lighter. I am no pro just a weekend warrior for stuff on my land. Went to the Stihl dealer. Told him my story. First thing he said was 361. I bought it for $569.00 included a case and a full chisel yellow box chain and some two stroke oil. He had a 20" on it but I asked him if he could put a 18" bar on it with a real chain. He said that shortly Stihl is having a price increase and that this 361 would be like $30 more after the upcoming price increase. This 361 is a very nice saw, good power with this 18" bar setup, smooth, very low vibration, and good power. It does not have the grunt of the 044 as expected but still good power. I am going to assume that it will get better as I put more tanks of gas in it. Also thinking of a muffler mod down the road. I miss my old 044, but this 361 is very nice.

Congradulations on your new saw! I really have the hots for a 361. I have a MS260 and a 044 with a 24" bar so I am not hurting for one. In Illinois where I am the 361's are about $599 so sounds like you did OK. Let us know how the 361 works out for you.

509bbc said:
About two or three weeks ago I posted a topic about my old Stihl 044 as being tired, was thinking of rebuilding it. I ended up selling it to a freind of my brother for $400.00. He knew how I took care it so he had no problem buying it. A couple of days ago he said he rebuilt the carb, and put a new piston kit in it with rings and crank seals and new gasket and seal kit.

Sounds like you ought to be wearing a mask if the guy paid you $400 and had to do all that work to refurb the saw.

The 361 is a very nice saw. Because of it`s lower weight it might allow you to work longer, thus being more productive.

Russ

jokers said:
Sounds like you ought to be wearing a mask if the guy paid you $400 and had to do all that work to refurb the saw.

Yeah, it sounds like that guy really wanted your 044, and for the price you sold it to him, heck you can almost go on ebay and buy an 046. I think you'll like the 361.

You commented that it doesnt' have the grunt that the 044 had, well of course not. They're not comparable saws. It's like someone buying an 026 and being upset that it doesn't have the grunt of a 361. The 361 is a superb saw for it's class, and I couldn't be happier with mine. The muffler mod will help immensely. Let the saw break itself in, and then do it. You'll be quite happy with the results.

I think that after selling your tired 44 for that price, and then getting a nice set up with the 361 as you did you came out of this deal smelling like a rose, and good for you. :blob2:

Jeff

just bought stihl ms361

This guy who bought my saw is loaded. He is a Stihl freak. He asked me what I wanted for it. I said $400 and told him it seems tired. I started out at $400 thinking he would try to talk down the price. I would have been willing to take $300. He told me he thinks it might just need a carb rebuild. He did not care. He has two of those 088 big Stihls he plays around with. The guy had a 540 cube big chevy built for like $14000. The dude could care less about money. After he did the rebuild on the 044. He drops by my brothers place showing off the saw, and is happier than a pig in sh**. He is happy and I am happy. All that matters. Will tell you though that rebuilt muffler modded 044 went thru a piece of 20" maple real fast. Pretty impressive. At least to me.

Don`t take my mask comment to heart 509bbc, you couldn`t have sold it for that if he wasn`t buying.

Russ

we have around 15 of those at work. nice saw, aint got the power for big stumps but none the less they cut great for their size.

Looking back on it; maybe chainsaws are like women, some sexier than others. I really expected Russ to make this observation though. :) :) I like my 361. Book says it will 'gain' in power through the 15th tank of fuel. Gut the muffler and enjoy it. I used mine in some rock hard dead oak today and the vibration control was marvelous. Easy on the old hands.

Last edited:
how hard is it to gut the muffler on a 361? any idea how much more power you gain by gutting the muffler? how much louder is it after being guted?

West Texas said:
Looking back on it; maybe chainsaws are like women, some sexier than others. I really expected Russ to make this observation though. :) :)

I try to save some of the opportunities for insightful comments for the other good guys on the forum like you Tom. :D

BTW, the 361 is a sexy saw with it`s streamlined build and curves in all the right places!

Russ

509bbc said:
..... This 361 is a very nice saw, good power with this 18" bar setup, smooth, very low vibration, and good power. ........
That is pretty close to what I feel about mine. :)

In my book it balances perfectly with an 18" bar. ;)

Latest posts

Back