Just bought new STIHL MS460, good choice??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No haha. Jonsered was the inventor of the first 1 man saw.... I appreciate all the major manufacturers & all I'll add here is, the smaller Stihl's are assholes to work on as are the late 90's early 2000's smaller J'Reds/Husky's. The nylon worm gears on the Stihl's are a joke!
Nope it was homelite

I think the story went that dolmar came out with the first one man chainsaw or some such anyhow... Either way I think the point was that they have been around for a long time and are a quality saw. I am curious myself about the history but not enough to do any serious research into it. Too lazy :) Most saw companies have seen their time on top one time or another anyhow. Even macs and homelites were top of the game at one time.
It was homelite

It was a toss up between the 460 and the 660. I didn't like the extra 1.5 lb weight of the 660, or the $200 price jump. I did like the 1 extra HP. Ultimately, I went with the MS460 at 6HP, 15.2 LBS with a wrap handle, a 28" bar, RapidSuperFull-skip chain for $950. I needed a good tree service ground saw for bucking, felling, limbing, and occasionally in the tree for large trunk/crane sections. I also need to take fill the void between a MS390 limbing/bucking ground saw, and a MS880 trunk bucking saw with a 47" bar.

Is there a better choice? The 660?
Do you still own this saw

1949 the homelite 26 lcs
There were one man gasoline engine chainsaws made before that, its a common mistake though as many of the online sources of this information is incorrect.Both IEL and Titan has one man saws out before 49.

There were one man gasoline engine chainsaws made before that, its a common mistake though as many of the online sources of this information is incorrect.Both IEL and Titan has one man saws out before 49.
Yea I kinda wondered but not enough to really dig into it that's just what I've seen so far in my short endeavor of a chainsaw enthusiasts. Good to know. I love learning new things. I've always said if you can learn one new thing a day your doing pretty good. I'm only 32 but most people think I'm 52 because of the vastness of knowledge I've absorbed over the years as a technician and I've always had more older friends then ones my age and you can learn much more from experience than any book you read. Just my opinion.

Yea I kinda wondered but not enough to really dig into it that's just what I've seen so far in my short endeavor of a chainsaw enthusiasts. Good to know. I love learning new things. I've always said if you can learn one new thing a day your doing pretty good. I'm only 32 but most people think I'm 52 because of the vastness of knowledge I've absorbed over the years as a technician and I've always had more older friends then ones my age and you can learn much more from experience than any book you read. Just my opinion.
That is a very good attitude sir, I have spent a lifetime gathering knowledge, useful or not but keeping an open mind and seeking answers is the best way to roll. Some say I have been around as long as chainsaws were used, not quite but I do own some of the very early models and its almost an obsession for learning the real history of the chainsaw. Starting in the mid 1800`s and all through to the most modern, watching and knowing the real development of them year by year fascinates me for some reason.

Back