Just built my own mill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The mill looks good! Fellow new member "kayaklogger" here in the milling section just had a new 361 blow up on him while milling for as-yet-undetermined reasons, so you might want to check that out too. I suspect the H jet should have been opened up a bit more to withstand the increased heat from milling - if you haven't already I would recommend it. 1/8 turn or thereabouts past factory settings should do it.

Welcome mrlynx and congrats on the mill!

Once you get the hang of this you may want to add a few strategically placed handle so you don't have to bend over so much while milling. :)

Speaking of which, Bob, I just found a handle that appears to be identical to the type you use in the aluminum bin at the scrap yard last week. Now I'm trying to figure out a suitable cable / lever mechanism for the throttle.

Looks great ! It's amazing the confidence you can get from reading the posts here which are so well explained with good pics to help the rest of us along. Bet you felt very good when you fitted the saw and did your first slab !!
Thanks for the post.

Thanks for all the replys.
I am new to milling and I am learning new things for every cut I do.
Out of the first log did I get 8 nice slabs 40 mm thick and 40 cm wide and 4.6 m long.
//Robert

I'll translate for the metric illiterates:

About 16" wide X 1-5/8" thick, and about 14' long.

:monkey:

I'm a bad Canadian. In the end I prefer the Standard measurements and am more familiar with them even though they were never really taught in school, except shop class.

Last edited:
I'll translate for the metric illiterates:

About 16" wide X 1-5/8" thick, and about 14' long.

:monkey:

I'm a bad Canadian. In the end I prefer the Standard measurements and am more familiar with them even though they were never really taught in school, except shop class.

Thank You Brad,
Were not up on that metric stuff too much.... but we may all have to learn soon enough the way our :censored: "leader" keeps going on.........

With inspiration from this site and a few ideas have I built an alaskan sawmill.
attachment.php

Looks nice.

Can you post of picture of it without the log so that we can see more of the design / construction details?

Thanks.

Philbert

It has been raining all day so no milling today.
Here is a photo of the mill. Its made up of 20x20x2 mm RHS welded together with two clams around a 25" bar. Max cutting width is 47 cm (19").
I am not used to measure with old english kings bodyparts.:dizzy:
attachment.php

I am not used to measure with old english kings bodyparts.:dizzy:

Heh, yeah, I don't think anyone would argue that the system makes any logical sense, but it IS easier to work with for construction on a larger scale. I like to use metric for design and drafting work sometimes because scaling is easier - everything is base-10. But if you were to ask me how much I weigh in kilograms or how tall I am in centimeters, I'd have no idea.

I've been meaning to build a little mill like yours to augment my 36" Alaskan. I would just be using it to take slabs off squared cants. Haven't gotten 'round to it yet though.

It has been raining all day so no milling today.
Here is a photo of the mill. Its made up of 20x20x2 mm RHS welded together with two clams around a 25" bar. Max cutting width is 47 cm (19").
I am not used to measure with old english kings bodyparts.]

Thanks for the additional photo!

Nice and simple design.

Philbert

The mill is under development but some progress is made.
I have added a handlebar and adjustable plastic pipes because the frame got a little bit warped warped when welding it.
I have made a 3D-model of the mill in solidworks so maybe there will be drawings of it.

attachment.php

The mill is under development but some progress is made.
I have added a handlebar and adjustable plastic pipes because the frame got a little bit warped warped when welding it.

I like the pipe idea for reducing friction but don't understand how they fix warping, sure they would just bend and follow the warp?

If the pipes are black polyethylene they will wear quickly but then again they should be cheap to replace!

The pipe I use is actually made for fiberoptic cable.
Its HDPE High density polyethylene and very cheap less then 1$/m.
But I use cutoffs from work because at work we use some 25000 meters per year.
The adjustment is 3 screws through the inner pipe that push on inside of the plastic pipe.
You see it on the picture but I am sorry for the bad picture quality.

I dont see any problems with the oiler.
I have turned it up to max and the chain doesnt seem to be slacking.
But if I had a longer bar there probably would be a need for an external oiler.

Back