Just got a 137 and it is a nice saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjh245

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Why do people hate these saws so much? I mean the 137 and 142's? I just ran 4 tanks of gas through my new 137 and it is a nice little saw. It might be made at the same place as poulan but it is much nicer then the Poulan 3314 that i have. I thought it would be a nice saw to use for limbing. I hear a lot of people complaining about them but, do any of those people own one?
Rob

I have a 136 and a 141 and they are both good saws when used within their limits. I put a 14" bar on the 136 and used surgical pliers to open up the H adjustment. It takes a while to warm up but cuts up to 10 inch soft wood surprisingly well. If I have a complaint it is that it is kind of heavy compared to my Echo 3450 and the catalytic muffler gets way hot. That will surely reduce the life of the saw if I don't do something with it.

scottr said:
rjh245 , how do you like the new spring assisted start mechanism ?

I don't think it is needed. They are such small saws. I don't even use the decompression valve on my 359.

On another note after about 1/2 a gallon of gas the bearing the motor failed. I took it back to the dealer and got my money back.

I guess I know why people hate these saws.:bang:

Rob

The 137 and 142 was seriously downrated in power in the US some time ago (not over here).
Be sure to get one made before the downrating if you buy one!

I though everyone was like me and only used the decomp if others were around and didn't want that one time in a hundred where you lose the rope.

Fred

I was really pissed with this saw. I hardly ever used it. I am sure the reason it failed is due to a defect and i guess other saws will last longer. I will never bother with the 137 or 142 huskys again. I guess I will just stick with the 359 for all smaller work.

rjh245 said:
On another note after about 1/2 a gallon of gas the bearing the motor failed. I took it back to the dealer and got my money back.

I guess I know why people hate these saws.:bang:

Rob

One minute she's the hottest number in town and a day later you want your money back. Sounds like a couple of my girlfriends.
Sorry to hear your saw died.
John.

whatsnext said:
One minute she's the hottest number in town and a day later you want your money back. Sounds like a couple of my girlfriends.
Sorry to hear your saw died.
John.

That is like getting married right? (That is a joke)

HAHA...that's the best part about this whole mess, that i can get a joke out of it....well i learned a lesson. Are the stihl 170's any better?

scottr said:
Is the saw still under warranty ?

Yeah it was. My dealer said that I can have another saw or my money back. I asked about the ms170s and my dealer tells me that the 170 and 180 are not the best saws.

scottr said:
Have you run any other 36cc saws that you liked more than the 137 before the bearing failure ?

I used a 136 for a few hours and it was nice but it was a year 2000 model.I owned a 141 for almost 5 years and i liked it alot. I used a poulan 295 with a 16 inch bar i liked as much as the 137. Maybe a 340 would not be a bad saw. I have seen them on eBay for 200 dollars + shipping.
Rob

Dealer

Maybe your dealer can make you a good deal on a 340 . I have a 38cc saw that is handy for small trees and limbing . My 32cc saw that does not have AV is getting used less . Someone on AS was telling me how much they liked their 340 compared to their 141 .

scottr said:
I've been reading AS since October 2003 and you're the first one to report a small Husqvarna saw bearing failure that I can recall .
I think you are right, but as you said in another post, the 340 is a much nicer and better saw.
345 and 350 is even better though, there are more differences than just cc's and power.:blob2: :blob2:

Back