Just got the hang of the Big Shot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gorman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Now I need to buy a longer climb line. Kind of frustrating when you get that ideal TIP time after time on the first launch, only to not have enough climb line to get on it.

Now I need to buy a longer climb line. Kind of frustrating when you get that ideal TIP time after time on the first launch, only to not have enough climb line to get on it.

So are you shooting over 75' or what?

120' rope?

I am liking the big shot myself. I find the 8 oz. "neo" (think that's what it was) throw weight sherrill sells to be my favorite so far. I've yet to get that thing stuck when I overshoot and pull it back through the canopy. I was taught you're not supposed to do that, but it's been working for me so far.

I've had a Big Shot for over ten years now and hardly ever use it as I can hit 70ft. hand tossing.

Great tool though. Mine gets more use chasing the neighbors horses out of my woods with stones. :smile:

Yeah, I thought someone said you were good at tossing something or another. That must've been it. Lol.

120' rope?

I am liking the big shot myself. I find the 8 oz. "neo" (think that's what it was) throw weight sherrill sells to be my favorite so far. I've yet to get that thing stuck when I overshoot and pull it back through the canopy. I was taught you're not supposed to do that, but it's been working for me so far.

Whats the alternative to pulling your throw bag back?

Let it run to the ground, untie, and pull your throw line back, then reconnect your throw bag. Depends on how much risk you feel there is in trying to pull the bag back thru the tree and that can depend on how "hairy" the tree is, among other things. I have experienced the bag getting wrapped around a branch if I try to stop it from running out and have more success in just letting it go. All depends on where the branch is when you stop the bag.
Throwing the bag out and then stopping it abruptly is one technique used to get the bag to to swing back to you if you are trying to get to a TIP that may be a little out of normal reach but may not be what you want to happen when just setting a high TIP.

Just from my 101 perspective to what seemed like a 101 question. I don't think I understand the real question.
tree MDS I think is talking about the risk of pulling the bag back thru the canopy and so what is the alternative to that......?

Last edited:
I use mine daily and couldn't live without it. The aim is awesome, usually one or two shots I'm set to work the whole tree.

For a better (and much cheaper) quick release, I bought a $15 caliper release (for archery) and put a key ring on the big shot that I grab with that.

I use mine every day and couldn't live without it. Highest shot I've made was just over 100'. I had to tie a bit of extra throw line on the end of my 200' line to get the weight back to the ground. Took a lot of shots to get though. Anyone who can consistently hit a tight crotch at 70'+ hand throwing is lying or deserves a beer from me.

We end up using heavier weights a lot of the time because a lot of our trees are rough/spongy barked and you can't get the weight back down unless it's heavy. I usually carry 3 or 4 throw lines. 16oz, 14oz, 12oz and 8oz. All on 200' lines. 3 on hand reels and one in a throw cube. I rarely use the 8oz. I'm using the harris rockets.

Shaun

I understand everything you just said except the first part. If you untie the throw bag, how does it come down in order to retie? Wait, why would you retie the throw bag? I am confused. Obv I untie the bag to pull the line out n start over. Is that what you mean? I ALWAYS over shoot my TIP and then hope I can pull bag back to a usable spot to let it down. Personally, n it may be due to my own errors, I think the big shot is a great tool for tall trees and srt. Otherwise I gotta wonder. Trying to set a line in a knarly pin oak is pretty damn frustrating.

For a better (and much cheaper) quick release, I bought a $15 caliper release (for archery) and put a key ring on the big shot that I grab with that.

That sounds like a good idea. Do you have a pic of this? Do you mount it to the pole of the big shot? I just checked it out on the internet to see what you were talking about and I like your idea. After about 4 or 5 launches, if I have really pulled back, my fingers feel a little beat.

Sorry, I really don't understand your question.

The ONLY other answer I can think of in response to your question.......Leave it in the tree and go home?

So I'm confused at your question.

or maybe we can find Slvrmple72's falcon and get him to get to just fly it back. Although it maybe difficult for that falcon to untie the bag with those big talons they have.

Ever since my trained falcon flew away..........

Throw lines are a pretty small part of how I make my living these days. When you need them, you need them though. I find myself more concerned with hydraulic lines, than anything.

That said, I used to be pretty good at throwing by hand. Does anybody remember the "stick trick" that sherrill had in their catalog years ago? I remember doing it and thinking it was pretty cool at the time, but can't for the life of me think of how it worked, or what the point of it was?? I wanna say maybe isolating a limb?

I have had one for a long time as well, use it all the time, have the balls and the bags, both have their place. Balls don't like the tight crotches (here we go) they get stuck pretty easy, but they don't bounce all over if the ricochet. It will shoot a rock across the Mississippi! I don't untie very much, I just clip in the biner to the ring, but will if I have too. Great tool, have seen many a climber afraid to use it tho, watch them get real frustrated trying to toss it with all their "new" ways, even had one guy a couple years ago show me how to do the triangle toss, don't know the real name. He acted as if it was a new style! I let him go thru it and then told him that the Tree Climbers Companion has been published for 15 years or so!

That sounds like a good idea. Do you have a pic of this? Do you mount it to the pole of the big shot? I just checked it out on the internet to see what you were talking about and I like your idea. After about 4 or 5 launches, if I have really pulled back, my fingers feel a little beat.
I bought one of the official releases. Tried it for a couple of months and now it's a quick release paper towel roll holder in my truck. Seemed like a waste of $$$. When my throw line gets old and worn it seems like I start getting bags hung up. Not sure why and I've tried different sprays but nothing seems better than new line.
Phil

Or go SRT and use all 120' or whatever you have to get to your TIP. I really don't get the DdRT for getting into a tree. With the money you are thinking to spend on a new climb line, you could get the Rope Wrench (or other device) and go SRT 100' +

Throw lines are a pretty small part of how I make my living these days. When you need them, you need them though. I find myself more concerned with hydraulic lines, than anything.

That said, I used to be pretty good at throwing by hand. Does anybody remember the "stick trick" that sherrill had in their catalog years ago? I remember doing it and thinking it was pretty cool at the time, but can't for the life of me think of how it worked, or what the point of it was?? I wanna say maybe isolating a limb?

stick trick for tossing a longer loop and repositioning your rope

I bought one of the official releases. Tried it for a couple of months and now it's a quick release paper towel roll holder in my truck. Seemed like a waste of $$$. When my throw line gets old and worn it seems like I start getting bags hung up. Not sure why and I've tried different sprays but nothing seems better than new line.
Phil

Sorry for the one liner, buy I have to tell you, I was laughing so hard at the thought of your fancy paper towel roll holder. Never never throw anything in the trash right!

Does some kind of wax work?

Latest posts

Back