Just how many of one model is enough?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very true, but just how many is enough of one model,,..........
I have found that having two of the same saws means you should always have one that is running should one go down for whatever reason.

3 is even better when the 3rd is NIB waiting for it's turn

If your saw usage is short term then a 40-50cc and a 70-80cc would cover all you need if cutting firewood
With that said, everyone needs a topper saw = ms201t, cs-255t or other
The moral of the story is 3 = Topper, Mid Range, Power Saw x2 each

Hey, Bill. Glad you're back.

You know I only have 31 McCulloch 3-25's...
Hello Ken,

Glad to be back. How is it to be in the bee business these days. I saw your post earlier today and took some pics to show you how it is here. I will try to post them later. Right now I am watching the Bristol race.

I got three mini macs
2 ms271
2 038 mags
1 026 pro and 1 ms260 ( same saws pretty much)

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

But that does not really answer the OP's question of how many of ONE model is enough :)
ST - Do you not understand that the McCulloch 3-25 is ONE model?
The 3-25 was the first one-man chainsaw made by McCulloch.

Bill - Looking forward to the pix. Ken

If you have an absolute favorite that sees far more hours than any of your others, than it’d be a good idea to have a backup to replace it in the event of catastrophic failure or damage.
For me, that’d be my 026. The backup is an 024 Super, but they are similar enough in capability.

Early in my career when I trained to climb, I worked for a pretty busy and successful tree service, considering it was almost always one crew, and their entire arsenal of saws was six 026 and two 064. A couple decent top handles would’ve been nice, in hindsight, but otherwise it was a smooth running business.
Please note that we had this brilliant groundworker foreman that was always first to the shop in the morning and last to go home, and he was very serious about saw maintenance.

These pictures are of 160 acres of some of the best Mississippi river bottom ground in our area. It was taken out of production about 6 years ago and put in the federal pollinator program. I will let the pictures tell how successful it has been.

Picture #1 is of 90 acres of what some consider to be "success". This picture is taken from on top the levee. I am in Illinois but the coal fired powerplant you see in the background is across the river in Iowa.

Picture #2 shows the 90 acres on the right and the clean area on the left is 70 acres that was just like the other but as you can see firebreaks were tilled in and it was burned.

Picture #3 shows a closer view of the 90 acres. I realize the plant species are hard to see in the picture but I will assure you there are a lot of fine stem grasses so being a bee expert you can tell how successful they are.

Pictures #4 and #5 are of one of my fields that border the others. The pictures show a stark contrast in current condition. I myself prefer the green color and actively growing forage that can be grazed soon before being cropped.. It has also provided deer a smorgasbord of tender eating over the winter.

Now do not let my comments and slight sarcasm indicate I am anti-pollinator nor anti-honey bee. That could not be further from the truth. In fact I tried to get the field that is pictured in #4 and #5 enrolled in the pollinator program but they had already accepted their limit of acres. I simply believe if we are going to take prime land out of production for use as pollination fields it should be managed to actually do just that....provide habitat for wildlife and flowering plants for bees. in the two fields to the east of those I can take pictures of a wetland restoration project that is 100% useless and a pheasant habitat area that started out excellent and is now just a thicket of 24" and larger Cottonwood trees. It sickens me how the government wants to come in with these great ideas of land improvement, toss some cash at it, call it a "success" after a few months and walk away patting themselves on the back. They refuse to follow up to make things successful LONG TERM. I love to see them create wildlife habitat and make things better for the environment but by god follow through, follow up, and correct mistakes.

Enough complaining and going way off topic in my own thread but I know Ken would like to see these pics.

Hopefully the pictures load in the right order.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 3
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 3
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 3
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 3
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 3
Yes, understand perfectly you have "only" 31 of that model. The question remains unanswered though - is 31 enough ?
Sometimes no matter the number it is never enough.............After a landowner shot a scoundrel six times the cop asks why only six shots. The landowner says I ran out of bullets, it was a six shot revolver............The cop says get a Glock

Is that your land Bill?
If it is ,you may have a buried ship in your yard.
My land is the last two pics of the growing Triticale. The other pics of the pollinator ground is the neighbors. All of the land pictured used to be in the same family of three unmarried folks but when the last one passed away the 160 acres in the pollinator program was sold to a nephew. The 160 acres that includes the green ground was inherited by the nephew who had farmed it for 30 years. Shortly after he inherited that ground he was murdered by his son. We farmed it after that then bought it when his widow moved to town.

Back