Just how many of one model is enough?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those sunken river boats might turn the land along the river bottoms into giant mole hills with every guy with a back hoe thinking he will find treasure buried.
When I was a kid when ever there was a hermit cheap kind of a guy every body said he is worth money he buries it somewhereon his property.Lots of people wasted a lot of time on the end of a shovel looking for a big win.
When I was about 12 my dad bought and old hermit house and I got the job to tear it down and pull the nails and save the lumber.My buddy was helping me and was in the above the ceiling all of a sudden he yells I found the money .He jumped down from the ceiling with gallon glass jar sprained his ankle and was really bummed out when the big Payola turned out to be Blue Ribbon coffee coupons.
Kash

Yes, understand perfectly you have "only" 31 of that model. The question remains unanswered though - is 31 enough ?
31 Mac 3-25's, with SN's scattered all over the 113,000 SN's of the 3-1/2 years of production and showing all the changes in design and parts, is enough.

Unless I find another one of the 1072 which were made in October 1949. In that case, I need 32.

Here you go. These were all taken today April 17th and reflect how dismal the weather has been. The first I call no buzz as there is no buzz from these hives. View attachment 982050
Bill, who is tending those beehives? Are there colonies of living bees in them?
This will be my 52nd year of beekeeping. We are in the midst of a prolonged drouth here and it does not look good for bee forage in most places around here this year. Some small areas along irrigated fields in the mountains 50 miles west of here (but snowpack and water are in short supply) and seven irrigated circles of alfalfa 25 miles east of here look like the best bets for some nectar plants this year. All the old CRP fields of sweetclover need winter snows and Spring rains, and we haven't got either this winter and spring.

Those rich soil bottomlands you show in pix look like they could be good bee forage and support a few 100's of hives, if they are well-seeded with nectar plants.

Bill, who is tending those beehives? Are there colonies of living bees in them?
This will be my 52nd year of beekeeping. We are in the midst of a prolonged drouth here and it does not look good for bee forage in most places around here this year. Some small areas along irrigated fields in the mountains 50 miles west of here (but snowpack and water are in short supply) and seven irrigated circles of alfalfa 25 miles east of here look like the best bets for some nectar plants this year. All the old CRP fields of sweetclover need winter snows and Spring rains, and we haven't got either this winter and spring.

Those rich soil bottomlands you show in pix look like they could be good bee forage and support a few 100's of hives, if they are well-seeded with nectar plants.
Ken, I do not think they are active hives. As you know I have been away for awhile and I do not know who even owns those hives. They are on my brothers place and they may be his that he tried and gave up on. I know the majority of the hives south of my place were pulled several years back. That bee keeper refused to tend to them and feed them in the spring. It is April 21st and we still have zero vegetation for the bees. If he still had the hives south of my place the a good amount of the colony would be over here looking for food when it hits 80 degrees in a day or two. That is one reason he was told to pull those hives. We would literally have hundreds of them swarm the feedbunks and wagons of feed looking for the ground corn. They would not sting or be aggressive they were more of a nuisance BUT occasionally one would get trapped in your clothing and then give you a little poke. They would also swarm around the eyes and noses of the cows. We had to put an end to that as I had one son that was allergic and it was simply not a risk I wanted to deal with. Once again the entire issue could have been taken care of by feeding them for a few weeks until plants get growing.

I like that you mentioned alfalfa and clover as a source for bees. If the powers that be running this pollinator program would realize that those plants are beneficial then the entire issue of tax dollars going to grow weed patches would be averted. Many years ago a good chunk of the land I pictured was in alfalfa but when Pat lost that ground and his brother bought it the land was put back into corn/bean rotation. Taking that 160 acres and growing a alfalfa/clover/pea mixture for hay would be perfect (at least to me) You would be providing plants for bees while not affecting farming operations. Now there would be a year without growth as it would be on about a 3-4 year rotation of 3 to 4 years of hay and one year of corn. That has to be done as the seeding ages and looses it stand. That is still manageable though as you would not take all 160 out at a year. Ideally you get it into 40 acre tracts where every year you are reseeding only 40 acres and on a 4 year cycle you would always have 120 acres in hay. Now there is an issue though as we like to cut alfalfa right as it starts to bloom as that is when the feed quality is best. That can be worked around though.

Another real head shaker is that the prime ground I pictured was taken out of production to be put in the pollinator program but the really rough ground south of my house on top of the bluff was taken out of rangeland to be put into production. I had never seen it farmed in my lifetime. It was farmed for a few years as it had to be before it could be enrolled in the program. Then before it could be enrolled the program shut down. It sat idle then for a couple seasons and as soon as the weather allows it is going into hay (which it should have been years ago)

As for saws I have a few 3-25's but I have no idea on the serial numbers

Back