Just modded the muff on my 141 WOW!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cruiser

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Max made the suggestion to put a hole right in front where the triangle plate is. I did it and it feels like twice the saw. It uses up every inch of the bar power wise. I have to be careful about the log catching on fire when the bar is buried though! I'll probably tack on a piece of metal to redirect the exhaust.

Thanks Max.

Welcome to ArboristSite

Congratulations on your muff mod cruiser. Did you remember to adjust the carb (need to richen it up) to compensate for the increased air flow? Otherwise you might create an overly lean condition which can create havoc with the piston and jug. You will be able to advance your two cycyle knowledge even further if that happens.:cheers:

Thanks for the welcome Urbicide.

I tried to adjust the carb myself but was foiled by my lack of experience! My searches on AS gave part of the picture but not enough to help me dial it in. I probably missed something.

I ended up getting my local shop to set the carb. He was concerned about back pressure. I used a 3/4" bit for the muffler outlet. Probably fine. Should I make it alittle richer than he did? I would spin the H counter clockise a little right?

Any help would be great guys, could be in the form of links too. I want to get this dialed in before my 372xp shows up tomorrow. I'd like to avoid any hard lessons on the "queen!" I will want to mod the 372 as much as I can at home.

Cheers

cruiser said:
I tried to adjust the carb myself but was foiled by my lack of experience! My searches on AS gave part of the picture but not enough to help me dial it in. I probably missed something.

I ended up getting my local shop to set the carb. He was concerned about back pressure. I used a 3/4" bit for the muffler outlet. Probably fine. Should I make it a little richer than he did? I would spin the H counter clockwise a little right?
A slight turn of the carb mixture screws can have a big effect on your saws operation. That can be either good or bad. Buy a tachometer if you are serious about working on your own saws and especially getting into modifying them. A lot of guys here tune by ear. First you have to know what you are supposed to be hearing. Madsen's had a sound wav file that you could down load. This was to give you a sense of what a properly tuned saw was supposed to sound like. The web site is currently being revamped thus you can not access the file at the moment. My hearing isn't quite was it used to be so I just use the tach.

cruiser said:
Any help would be great guys, could be in the form of links too. I want to get this dialed in before my 372xp shows up tomorrow. I'd like to avoid any hard lessons on the "queen!" I will want to mod the 372 as much as I can at home.

Cheers
Going from a 141 to a 372XP. Talk about the difference between night and day! I would recommend that you become familiar with the saw before you get too radical with it. Break it in first. In the very unlikely but possible scenario of needing warranty service you won't have a problem getting it resolved through a dealer. Using the saw in its stock configuration will give you a better picture of how your mods have influenced performance gains.
Here is a link for Husqvarna's workshop manual.
http://www.gardening-tools-direct.co.uk/content/husqwm273_hwen2000_1019061-26.pdf
:cheers:

Urbicide said:
A slight turn of the carb mixture screws can have a big effect on your saws operation. That can be either good or bad. Buy a tachometer if you are serious about working on your own saws and especially getting into modifying them. A lot of guys here tune by ear. First you have to know what you are supposed to be hearing. Madsen's had a sound wav file that you could down load. This was to give you a sense of what a properly tuned saw was supposed to sound like. The web site is currently being revamped thus you can not access the file at the moment. My hearing isn't quite was it used to be so I just use the tach.

Hey Urbicide not sure if you are aware I called Madsens the other day when I was looking for the Threadserts to fix my 066 stripped threads and their website was down and they said it was down for good as far as they knew???

RiverRat2 said:
Hey Urbicide not sure if you are aware I called Madsens the other day when I was looking for the Threadserts to fix my 066 stripped threads and their website was down and they said it was down for good as far as they knew???
That would be a loss for everyone if they permanently shut down their website. Madsen's had a ton of technical information and explanations of how things function. They have a good reputation. I hope that they bring it back up. Maybe if we all called them to let them know we appreciate them........:)

Yeah really, they did have a ton of great stuff the guy told me their webmaster quit and it sounded like they had no intention of replacing him,,,
Bummer :bang:

Back