Just ordered DP for MS660!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chainsawaddict

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Im stoked to get this saw screamin'!
:greenchainsaw:

Just curious if anyone has a rough idea of where to set the carb screws when I get it put on. I tried a search on this and didnt get much for specifics. i know i need to run a little richer, and I read something about cutting tabs off the limiter caps to get there. Any info would be appreciated.

Where'd you order the DP? I have been considering it for my 394.

Its a dual port cover I got from stihl. I googled it and found an old arboristsite thread that even had the part number. been trying to get ahold of somebody @ nwchainsaw.com, but nobody has returned my calls or emails.

Last edited:
As my kids would say: "My bad...."

I thought you meant a Dual Port job done to the muffler. Thanks for the clarification.

About 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn anticlockwise on the H screw I'd say. I have a DP for my 660, but I changed the filter to a flock filter at the same time and didn't need much adjustment. Sure somebody will say if I'm out.

There are red caps on the screws that have tabs on them that may stop you adjusting any richer. The caps just pull off and you can resuse the old ones if you haven't damaged them too much. Better is to get the removal tool (just a LH thread with a handle) and a new cap. Slice off the tab and reinstall the cap so you can adjust as required.

About 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn anticlockwise on the H screw I'd say. I have a DP for my 660, but I changed the filter to a flock filter at the same time and didn't need much adjustment. Sure somebody will say if I'm out.

There are red caps on the screws that have tabs on them that may stop you adjusting any richer. The caps just pull off and you can resuse the old ones if you haven't damaged them too much. Better is to get the removal tool (just a LH thread with a handle) and a new cap. Slice off the tab and reinstall the cap so you can adjust as required.

Ok, so if I get a high flow air filter from baileys, i may not have to adjust much?? That was my next question:dizzy:

Mmmmmmm,,,,,

Ok, so if I get a high flow air filter from baileys, i may not have to adjust much?? That was my next question:dizzy:

Not quite,,,,,,,,

Think about what you will have done,,,, youve opend up the exhaust already with the DP cover,,, and if you increase the volume of air going in with a high flow filter,,,,,,,, you have leaned the moto out (more Rpm),,,,,,and if you dont remove the limiters,,,,, and give it some more fuel mix,,,,,,, to bring it back a bit closer to to RPM Spec,,,,,,, well it could get ugly!!!!!!! pretty quick!!!! JMHO!!!!!! and you wont be so stoked!!!!!!

Not quite,,,,,,,,

Think about what you will have done,,,, youve opend up the exhaust already with the DP cover,,, and if you increase the volume of air going in with a high flow filter,,,,,,,, you have leaned the moto out (more Rpm),,,,,,and if you dont remove the limiters,,,,, and give it some more fuel mix,,,,,,, to bring it back a bit closer to to RPM Spec,,,,,,, well it could get ugly!!!!!!! pretty quick!!!! JMHO!!!!!! and you wont be so stoked!!!!!!

Thanks, Im still figuring everything out. I hope I dont sound like an idiot.

No, not at all....and this is the best place to learn.

Sorry if my comment about the filter wasn confusing. My saw is a UK spec saw came with a mesh filter. There was as much dust inside the carb as around the filter, so I changed to the more restrictive HD flock filter to prolong engine life. Your US saw will probably have this as standard. The combination of adding the DP and filter had opposite effects, so the carb didn't need much adjustment.

I'd say put the DP on with your standard filter (make sure it's clean/new). Undo the H screw 1/8-1/4 turn, warm the saw and see. you can hear a 660 4 stoke well assuming you're not running a 42 inch bar. If you have a tach set it to 13,000 rpm (i think).

Back