Just ruined my new 290 - got a question for y'all.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, after a lot of saving and debate, I finally was able to get a new MS290. After trying it out for a little while a week ago, I was ready to start to work at my house last weekend.

Wanting to take care of my saw, I let it warm up and left the brake on as Stihl suggests for safety reasons. I guess I was excited or just careless and didn't get it bumped off fast idle. Before I knew it, there was smoke boiling out. So now the dealer tells me that the brake and clutch are ruined and that the heat got to the crank case as well.

I know what I did was stupid and I should have to pay to get the saw fixed. The question I have for y'all is would you expect that much damage to be done in a matter of a minute or two. I'm being told it'll be $200 to get it running and it'll never have a working brake. I was a little surprised that the saw would basically be wrecked by what was definitely a boneheaded but pretty simple mistake. Thoughts?

100% againsit Stihl policy, that brake has to work. Someone is full of BS telling you that. Policy is clear about chain brakes, it has to work, no exceptions. Here where I work is saw comes in with a snapped off brake handle it gets replaced or it doesn't get worked on at all. Entirely too much liability involved letting a saw go out the store or out the repair shop with a non-working brake.
If you get the saw back and the brake isn't working your dealing with a bunch of idiots...

That sounds a little fishy about the never having a working brake. I might take that to a different dealer and see what they say.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I wouldn't spend $200.00 on it either. Once the pics are posted you can buy the parts much cheaper I'd say - unless there is a warranty issue - not really certain about that (I don't buy new saws...). According to the previous poster that is a misnomer - they CAN'T release the saw without a working chain brake. I'd take it somewhere else from the very start.

100% againsit Stihl policy, that brake has to work. Someone is full of BS telling you that. Policy is clear about chain brakes, it has to work, no exceptions. Here where I work is saw comes in with a snapped off brake handle it gets replaced or it doesn't get worked on at all. Entirely too much liability involved letting a saw go out the store or out the repair shop with a non-working brake.
If you get the saw back and the brake isn't working your dealing with a bunch of idiots...

I've gotten some clarification today and let's say the person I talked to yesterday was a little off-base (to be kind). As explained to me (again they still have the saw and I'm a novice anyway), the portion of the case that places the brake band in the appropriate position melted away, thus the brake won't be able to function correctly/reliably. There were other issues (burned up clutch, melted oil line), but that was the killer. The technician described it as "not salvagable" (i.e., we're not going to try to fix this).

Depending on whether Stihl is in the Christmas spirit, I may be looking for a 290 powerhead with a blown out engine. My enginge is still brand new basically.

Thats a bummer man, but knowing how the clutch and brake works nothing but a meltdown can be expected with running full throttle with the brake engaged. There are a lot of things a chainsaw will take, but this is something that kills it fast. It is kind of hard not to notice it tho :msp_confused: A 290 puts out 2.8kW, and more or less all of that went into heating a few pretty small pieces of metal. That's kind of like leaving an arc welding machine strapped to the clutch for a few minutes and wonder why everything is glowing red :)

BTW, what color was the saw emitting when you got back to it? Red, yellow or was it in the white spectrum? :D

I fully understand that, and generally agree with the policy, but what happens when an elder gentleman walks in with a prestine old 090 from the late 1960s (no chainbrake then), and needs you to fit a new coil. Can't you work on it?

Btw, this is no "trick" question, I just wonder....:msp_smile:

I fully understand that, and generally agree with the policy, but what happens when an elder gentleman walks in with a prestine old 090 from the late 1960s (no chainbrake then), and needs you to fit a new coil. Can't you work on it?

Btw, this is no "trick" question, I just wonder....:msp_smile:

Good point. If its a older model that was sold with no brake its ok to work on it and hand it back, can't fix what was never there. However just to show how big a deal these brakes are. Say a old 028 with just a handle guard is sent back to Stihl for what ever reason. When it comes back there will be a new brake on it. The dealer is not liable for a saw that never had a chain brake in the first place. Even so should Stihl get their hands on a such a saw when it comes back there will be a brake on it if there is one available for it. Brakes are a big deal. Any saw made in the last 20-25 years have brakes and for a reason, it has to be on there, its da law, Stihl policy is it has to work..

I've gotten some clarification today and let's say the person I talked to yesterday was a little off-base (to be kind). As explained to me (again they still have the saw and I'm a novice anyway), the portion of the case that places the brake band in the appropriate position melted away, thus the brake won't be able to function correctly/reliably. There were other issues (burned up clutch, melted oil line), but that was the killer. The technician described it as "not salvagable" (i.e., we're not going to try to fix this).

Depending on whether Stihl is in the Christmas spirit, I may be looking for a 290 powerhead with a blown out engine. My enginge is still brand new basically.

Sounds like you need a new engine housing, tant no biggie. What your describing isn't that big a deal to fix, costly yes, but easy to repair. Wish I had it here, I could hand it back to you this evening..

Sounds like you need a new engine housing, tant no biggie. What your describing isn't that big a deal to fix, costly yes, but easy to repair. Wish I had it here, I could hand it back to you this evening..

How much do you 'spect this should run me?

If you end up needing an 029 case let me know. I have one I could send ya. You have been very honest about your mess up and I'm sure will never make that mistake again. Hate to see a guy with a burnt up brand new machine OUCH!

If you end up needing an 029 case let me know. I have one I could send ya. You have been very honest about your mess up and I'm sure will never make that mistake again. Hate to see a guy with a burnt up brand new machine OUCH!

Very kind of you. To be honest, I was hoping to find one helpful reply among 40 telling me what a DA I am when I started the thread. So I appreciate the sympathy folks have had. And the grammar lessons.

You're right, though, valuable lesson(s) learned and at least all that got hurt was my wallet. At the end of the day, I was probably a little too arrogant about knowing how to run the saw based on years of running different landscaping equipment. Found out the hard way that chain saws require a lot more focus, even when you aren't holding the saw.

This.
attachment.php

Welp case, worm gear, oil hose, clutch springs, brake handle if you melted off the end, your looking at around 150 or so just in parts. Labor depends on what meal your bringing over,LOL

Seriously alittle over 200.00 but thats with a new case. What they were attempting to do was merely grind out the melted plastic and let it go, not good and not worth what they were gonna charge either.

Need to really have a look at the clutch side seal too, it could be melted as well, no biggie to replace but should be checked.

Not to tell you what to do but if it were me I'd get that thing home, get ahold of Fish and get the parts and fix it. You can do it...

New ones run over $100, I sell them for $50.

Awesome deal there. Sell that man what he needs Fish and lets get him going on putting that saw back together. Between my good looks and your fancy talk we'll have him up and running in no time...

Back