Just ruined my new 290 - got a question for y'all.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I watched 4 MS 290 being sold today at lunch time in Woolley and they have two left in the store

They were bought by a Tree Service Company :msp_tongue:

OK, I'll do it for $125, I keep the old parts, you pay all of the shipping!!!!!

For this price, you will have your old block/engine, best that I can do......

I think fuelk2 is getting a pretty fair deal. Perhaps in the hopes that one day he and his neighbors will buy more saws or other OPE from Stihl instead of the competition.

Fish, would you warranty his saw for the next 23 months?

I watched 4 MS 290 being sold today at lunch time in Woolley and they have two left in the store

They were bought by a Tree Service Company :msp_tongue:

You live up in Woolley? Right on! I've worked up there on the pipeline a few times for Snelson. Woods logging I assume?:msp_thumbup:

Just to close the loop on this, Stihl, being the kind folks they are, is fixing the saw for me. At least that's what the Stihl southeast rep told me. Then my dealer told me that they were actually just supplying the parts and I'd need to pay for the labor, which they said would be about $125. I'll get that clarified, but I thought it was a pretty cool gesture by Stihl either way.

Thanks for all the responses on this. It's been a good learning experience for me.

Good to hear they, Stihl, helped you out. 125.00 labor, thats steep, only a hour job but on the bright side your getting all the parts that normally you would had to buy so your doing ok there. Easy on that brake from now on, don't do it again, I got the 4 foot hose filled full of sand if ya do, cheers!!!

Good to hear they, Stihl, helped you out. 125.00 labor, thats steep, only a hour job but on the bright side your getting all the parts that normally you would had to buy so your doing ok there. Easy on that brake from now on, don't do it again, I got the 4 foot hose filled full of sand if ya do, cheers!!!

Yeah, no kidding. I haven't had too many more humbling/embarrassing moments than walking into the dealership after that experience.

I haven't had too many more humbling/embarrassing moments than walking into the dealership after that experience.

If that's the worst chainsaw experience you ever have, you'll be doing OK. Problem is, at least in my area, that there is no place you can go to get proper training in chainsaw operation & maintenance. A new operator is typically left to his own devices & doesn't know what he doesn't know. Best sources of information for me have been YouTube, the local dealer, and ArboristSite. A very wise person on AS posted this link, which has all kinds of good information. Check it out.

100% againsit Stihl policy, that brake has to work. Someone is full of BS telling you that. Policy is clear about chain brakes, it has to work, no exceptions. Here where I work is saw comes in with a snapped off brake handle it gets replaced or it doesn't get worked on at all. Entirely too much liability involved letting a saw go out the store or out the repair shop with a non-working brake.
If you get the saw back and the brake isn't working your dealing with a bunch of idiots...

Most of them are that and most of the shops are that as well. It's an easy way to lose business doing it the right way when you're surrounded by wrong people.

Roughly an hour and a half. $80 an hour shop labor at my dealer.

If that's the worst chainsaw experience you ever have, you'll be doing OK. Problem is, at least in my area, that there is no place you can go to get proper training in chainsaw operation & maintenance. A new operator is typically left to his own devices & doesn't know what he doesn't know. Best sources of information for me have been YouTube, the local dealer, and ArboristSite. A very wise person on AS posted this link, which has all kinds of good information. Check it out.

good posting. That link will be helpful for n00bs. :clap:
Be careful watching chainsaw vids on YouTube though. Some of the You Tube vids are particularly filled with idiocy, and very comical to watch rank sawyer amateurism at it's finest :hmm3grin2orange:

Roughly an hour and a half. $80 an hour shop labor at my dealer.

$80.00 a hour, thats on par I guess. I know thats what alot of shops charge, seems the average is somewhere between $65.00 and $85.00 around here. I've been at $50.00 a hour since around 2005. My rep tells me I'm too cheap, I should raise the price. My reply has always been people can take a $50,000 Corvette over to the Chevy dealer and get it worked on for a $100.00 a hour here in town so its kinda hard to justify much over $50.00 to work on a $400.00 saw. He says I'm not looking at it the right way, I say maybe but I work on alot of saws and rarely ever hear any complaints about the charge. I do hit em on the chain sharpening though, $8.50 a chain whether its a 12incher or 36incher, its $8.50. I hate sharpening dayummm chains. Rather watch grass grow,LOL

If it was me...I would take whatever they offered. It was your mistake and you said you were willing to pay for it. Merry Christmas from Stihl to you. The dealer went to bat for you as well. They didn't have to get Stihl involved. I would count my lucky stars at this point. Anything they give you is better than nothing. Thank them for it and give them return buisness. $125 is probably cheap at their shop rate to totally dismantle a saw and reassemble it from the case out with the new parts associated with it. I know it sucks, but if it is the worst thing that ever happens while cutting...Lesson learned.

Yeah, no kidding. I haven't had too many more humbling/embarrassing moments than walking into the dealership after that experience.

Tant no biggie, worse things have happened. Glad your getting it fixed up. Learning from mistakes are lessons you rarely forget so you won't be burning up anymore cases so your good to go now, cheers!!!

Excellent link, but there is one major mistake there; They assume that the pitch of 3/8" chain actually is .375 inch - which is not true. :msp_sad:

All of us have screwed up and will do so again. Don't be so hard on yourself. A cemetery is the only place you can go and find people that don't screw up. As far as the chain brake is concerned I have an advantage in not owning a saw with a brake for the first 25 years of wood cutting. For the last 11 years I can't remember that I have a brake or even need one so it is never used. One pull will restart it so why not just shut it down? However I can see a greater need for a brake in extreme circumstances like tree climbers.

That's the equivalent of getting in your car, holding the breaks, putting it in gear, and revving at 1/2 to 2/3 throttle. How long do you think that would take to damage something?

I used to do that in my cummins when id launch it. No harm done to it.......hell id spool it up to 20psi of boost. I don't think its equivalent :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Just to close the loop on this, Stihl, being the kind folks they are, is fixing the saw for me. At least that's what the Stihl southeast rep told me. Then my dealer told me that they were actually just supplying the parts and I'd need to pay for the labor, which they said would be about $125. I'll get that clarified, but I thought it was a pretty cool gesture by Stihl either way.

Thanks for all the responses on this. It's been a good learning experience for me.

That sounds reasonable - no reason to complain.

If it was me...I would take whatever they offered. It was your mistake and you said you were willing to pay for it. Merry Christmas from Stihl to you. The dealer went to bat for you as well. They didn't have to get Stihl involved. I would count my lucky stars at this point. Anything they give you is better than nothing. Thank them for it and give them return buisness. $125 is probably cheap at their shop rate to totally dismantle a saw and reassemble it from the case out with the new parts associated with it. I know it sucks, but if it is the worst thing that ever happens while cutting...Lesson learned.

Well, technically, the dealer didn't go to bat for me. They were happy for me to pay full freight or buy a new saw. I called Stihl directly. I think Stihl proved why they have the reputation they do while the dealer just sort of accepted what came their way. Nevertheless, I'm going to pay what they ask to fix the saw, and overall I consider myself fortunate with how this turned out.

Back