Just ruined my new 290 - got a question for y'all.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wanting to take care of my saw, I let it warm up and left the brake on as Stihl suggests for safety reasons.

Might want to re-read that part of the manual. Pretty sure it says to immediately release chain brake. Your resultant smoky meltdown being the why. As others have said, once they fix the rest, chain brake should be the easy part of the repair.

And where, I say WHERE do so many people get the idea to break in a new saw (or any other 2-stroke) by letting it idle?

Hope your dealer takes sympathy on you and helps you out.

Heck, for $200, I'd fix you up with a new crankcase and block and whatever else it needed , and do the labor, I could sell or use the old block
to help cover the extras and labor.

I fully understand that, and generally agree with the policy, but what happens when an elder gentleman walks in with a prestine old 090 from the late 1960s (no chainbrake then), and needs you to fit a new coil. Can't you work on it?

Btw, this is no "trick" question, I just wonder....:msp_smile:

Same thing as with cars. Has to do with what safety standards were in effect when it was manufactured. For instance, a late model car can not go out without working seatbelts. But a 1960's one can, because the 1960's one met all safety standards when it was manufactured.

Good point. If its a older model that was sold with no brake its ok to work on it and hand it back, can't fix what was never there. However just to show how big a deal these brakes are. Say a old 028 with just a handle guard is sent back to Stihl for what ever reason. When it comes back there will be a new brake on it. The dealer is not liable for a saw that never had a chain brake in the first place. Even so should Stihl get their hands on a such a saw when it comes back there will be a brake on it if there is one available for it. Brakes are a big deal. Any saw made in the last 20-25 years have brakes and for a reason, it has to be on there, its da law, Stihl policy is it has to work..

Chain brakes add weight, so off with them! :msp_smile:

Not so, it was a joke - but such thinking actually has happened....

Same thing as with cars. Has to do with what safety standards were in effect when it was manufactured. For instance, a late model car can not go out without working seatbelts. But a 1960's one can, because the 1960's one met all safety standards when it was manufactured.

That is the same here (with cars).

I don't really know how it is with saws, but at least you don't have to put any safety item on it, if it wasn't original when the saw was new. However, I don't know what would happen if a saw with a broken or removed brake was turned in for other repair, but suspect it is the costumers choise if he wants it repaired. Anyway, the liability laws are not like they are in the US...

Chain brakes add weight, so off with them! :msp_smile:

Not so, it was a joke - but such thinking actually has happened....

Hush up you old geezer before I "BRAKE" one off in ya,:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

With the resident jackazz, he will corrected every time I catch him......

Can't help myself...
Just one more question for ya' and I'll let the dead dog die::deadhorse:

Ready for this?

...:hmm3grin2orange:

You're gonna love it!:msp_w00t:

Here it is-

How much wood would a brake breaker break if a brake breaker could break wood?
:clap::clap::clap:

BTW, I think you're missing a "be" in your post...:buttkick:

PEACE! I'm out %itches!!!:kilt:

Just to close the loop on this, Stihl, being the kind folks they are, is fixing the saw for me. At least that's what the Stihl southeast rep told me. Then my dealer told me that they were actually just supplying the parts and I'd need to pay for the labor, which they said would be about $125. I'll get that clarified, but I thought it was a pretty cool gesture by Stihl either way.

Thanks for all the responses on this. It's been a good learning experience for me.

Hell, I wonder what they are actually replacing????

If for $200, I would give you a whole new saw base/block with crankcase, engine, etc for $200, everything included, they would pony up that!!!

Get some specifics!!!!

If it's going to cost $125 in labor I would tell them to just give you the parts and install them yourself. They probably wouldn't go for that but might be worth a shot.

Just to close the loop on this, Stihl, being the kind folks they are, is fixing the saw for me. At least that's what the Stihl southeast rep told me. Then my dealer told me that they were actually just supplying the parts and I'd need to pay for the labor, which they said would be about $125. I'll get that clarified, but I thought it was a pretty cool gesture by Stihl either way.

Thanks for all the responses on this. It's been a good learning experience for me.

Hell, ship me the damn thing, with no bar/chain, I'll do it for parts/plus shipping!!!!

both ways of course!!!!

Only replaciing what needs be, of course.......

Yeah, I was a little taken aback by that price but didn't feel quite right about complaining since Stihl was doing me a solid (guess the dealer isn't though). Based on what they told me they are replacing the engine housing, oil pump, clutch springs, worm gear, and oil line. I didn't necessarily get the feeling that was an exhaustive list.

Stihl dealers, do y'all think the $125 is unreasonable? I'm not real inclined to haggle if that's in the ballpark of being reasonable since Stihl is doing me a favor. I guess I feel like some level of "stupid tax" is probably appropriate.

OK, I'll do it for $125, I keep the old parts, you pay all of the shipping!!!!!

For this price, you will have your old block/engine, best that I can do......

OK, I'll do it for $125, I keep the old parts, you pay all of the shipping!!!!!

For this price, you will have your old block/engine, best that I can do......

Hahahaaaaa Fish you're a good guy. :)

I have heard a "dealer rule" that said; "Fix stupid once (for one costumer) on warranty, but never more than once"...

That rule is of course not "official", with any brand, and I assume the attitude of the costumer is a factor regarding doing it or not.

Common mistake, but annoying anyway....

I'm sure I have done it myself. :msp_tongue:

You break me up ST :msp_w00t: .....costumer?? :eek:uttahere2:

:hmm3grin2orange:

+1 for Fish

Back