Just tried the Pantin!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am glad you like the geriatric device. I am too lazy to climb 2x the rope I have to just for giggles.

Different styles and no ONE way that is best for everyone. I love this job!

TreeTX said a lot in those few words.....

All these years at arboristsite, I watch men struggle up this learning curve. Old ways die hard, but for everyone coming in, the old ways are your 'New Way'.

I shake my head, and I love y'all. Everyone stay safe.

I have been eyeing the pantin for a while now and saw a guy use one last summer with great success at a climbing competition. For me doing a static footlock is still the fastest and man is it a full body work out but then I learned to climb without spikes. I didnt even put spikes on for the first 6 months of employment. I may have to try and get my hands on a pantin for a test run, anything to save energy sounds great to me!

The past still lingers into our future

Using traditional DbRT, it really doesn't matter what bells and whistles you attach to it, it's still slow and twice the work of alternative systems. Some day we'll reflect on how hard it 'used to be'. For now, that's where we are, not all of 'we', but still most from what I can gather.

TREETX said:
I am glad you like the geriatric device. I am too lazy to climb 2x the rope I have to just for giggles.

Different styles and no ONE way that is best for everyone. I love this job!

You can use the Pantin SRT just as easily as DRT...no need to go slow. I am with you 100% on the 2x rope climb deal.

Having your groundman set a 12 ft. ladder against the tree is usually enough to get to the first lateral of most trees here. Once there, climbing is easy. I always find the first 10 ft. or so the most difficult. At one of the TCIA Expos I saw a guy from Texas watching them set up a rope device and demonstrating how it worked. I laughed when he told the guys, "I can have my groundie set a 28 ft. extension ladder against the tree and be cutting before you even set your rope."

I try to even my climbs with the pantin, I'll do one climb with the left leg then the next with the right. It is worth the $55.

Koa Man said:
Having your groundman set a 12 ft. ladder against the tree is usually enough to get to the first lateral of most trees here. Once there, climbing is easy. I always find the first 10 ft. or so the most difficult. At one of the TCIA Expos I saw a guy from Texas watching them set up a rope device and demonstrating how it worked. I laughed when he told the guys, "I can have my groundie set a 28 ft. extension ladder against the tree and be cutting before you even set your rope."

It's pretty much that way around here, too.

I bought mine from Sherrill and it will fit either foot. I swear I'm not crazy. It does work a little eazier on the right though.

I'm sitting here looking at mine and yeah, it will fit, but the device is facing the wrong direction. I suppose it could still work but I haven't tried it on my left foot yeat. The directions say right foot.

Here's the critter

For those unfamiliar, the Pantin is the green device.
attachment_9214.php

Latest posts

Back