just want a saw that starts and latest efco rebranding?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, this is true. The 3700 is Made in China, a more robust version of the classic home owner Wild Thing. Not complete junk, but more than I would reccomend pricing an entry level saw. I have the Deere branded version its replacing, and enjoy running it. It runs out well, fairly nimble, and it holds a lot of fuel and oil. It doesn't cut wood all by itself and stack it like a 346 does though, and that disappoints me.

I think all new saws have a part throttle setting that is engaged when the choke is set. But to me, you starting method is questionable. With every saw I own the starting method is as follows: set the choke and pull it until it pops, no extra throttle is necessary. When it pops, take the choke off and pull until it starts. Even with old saws this works. With new saws, when the saw is taken off of choke, whether by pushing the choke lever off as with Efco, Husky or others that have seperate choke controls, or by moving the master control up as with Stihls, the saws are still set to start with a fast idle. I don't find it necessary to add extra throttle. It sounds like your L screw on your carb might need to be backed out just a hair??
BTW, starting fluid in a two stroke motor is not a good idea. It will strip the oil layer deposited by the fuel mix. It is much better to get a small squirt bottle with a little mix to prime a saw. I have to do this with my Mac 125 everytime it is cranked for the first time of the day. Otherwise, you will pull until lunch time to get the carb to prime and fire it off.

Well said, starting the saw at WOT is just for emergencies, and even the older saws are not meant to be started that way! :agree2:

Hot start

I have an almost new Efco 164. I love the saw. Yes I worked at an Efco dealer and the small stuff is from Japan and the big stuff is from Efco Italy. I cut lots of firewood goods strong saw.

My problem is hot starts after running out of fuel. I can't get it going. I am about 50 tanks in and I am religious about my fuel. Who has had luck with this saw? Pump or no pump how many pumps ? Choke no Choke . No info in the manual Thanks in advance

I currently have a Jon Sereds 535 that I got for nothing because they couldn't get it to start reliably. I drilled a hole in cowling around the carb so I could spray starting fluid conveniently and for a while that was a sure bet. Now it is 50/50.

you are your own worst enemy. stick with cheap saws until you can properly run one.

you are your own worst enemy. stick with cheap saws until you can properly run one.

I agree. You are in the right place to learn, and things will get much more easy with a little knowledge. A saw with everything working right will pop after a few pulls choked; and start after one pull at half or less choke. I don't care if it is cheap or expensive, or what kind of throttle lock setup it has. If you are having a hard time starting the saw, your problem is not that the saw won't start, it means something is not right or needs adjusting. As cheap as parts and repairs are, you are better off getting it fixed in most cases than looking for a new saw. Then when you get a new saw, you have reliable backup. You are much less likely to waste time in the woods with proper backup.

Dan

Back