Chinese Saw no throttle lock

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always wonder, why do people waste their time and money on cheap Chinese crap? Facebook Marketplace usually has fair prices on Stihl, Echo, and Husky saws.
For me it wasn’t even a big thought I happened to be at princess auto while they had a clearance table. Wasn’t looking for a chainsaw but walked out with my first and I can tall ya ain’t nothing wrong with them.

I have a couple of these cheap chinese saws.
Some of them are just like a homeowner 50-55cc husky or stihl saw but dirt cheap.
My joncutter and timberpro and supmix have been fine saws with no issues, I've used the joncutter for 4 years. The supmix I have runs really good but has cheap feeling plastic compared to the other chinese saws of similar design. I did blow the timberpro up experimenting porting it which was my fault not the saws, so now the timberpro's nicer plastic is on the supmix.

I think these saws would sell better and get more respect if they were honest about the cc and stuck a 16 inch bar on them. The 62cc or 6200 models are the good ones but they are really 54.5cc, the smaller 5200 or 5800 ones are often 45cc and some are 50cc.

One of my hobbies is rebuilding chainsaws, mostly Stihls. This is a good alternative to buying a cheap saw, especially a piece of cheap Chinese crap.
Pictured are two saws I had gotten in this week. The saw on the left, an MS270, was only a partial rebuild. My cost was less than 200. The saw on the right, an MS271, was a total rebuild. The most expensive component I had to purchase was a Meteor Cylinder kit, Even with that, my expenses will be about 250-270. The saw currently retails for 505.
What would you rather have, cheap Chinese crap or Stihl quality? Most people can do this.

Attachments

• 428645468_3951188581775759_661928596148328377_n.jpg
    428645468_3951188581775759_661928596148328377_n.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 0
No. They were not as advertised. Came with a manual that used wrong fuel mix. Also malfunctions. No directions on how to start. Spark plugs that fail after a couple uses. Broken chain break. No customer support for issues. How many people buy these and never get them running? That's stealing.

The quality of the saw is not an excuse for your lack of knowledge. You bought it from Amazon, unless you live under a rock (on Pluto) you know about Amazon reviews. And yes, intentionally buying, just to have a non-return refund is stealing.
My saw, made in China, runs great. I know how to start it and mix the fuel. No manual necessary.
My other saws, used, made in US and Japan didnt come with manuals, mix ratios or customer support either.

One of my hobbies is rebuilding chainsaws, mostly Stihls. This is a good alternative to buying a cheap saw, especially a piece of cheap Chinese crap.
Pictured are two saws I had gotten in this week. The saw on the left, an MS270, was only a partial rebuild. My cost was less than 200. The saw on the right, an MS271, was a total rebuild. The most expensive component I had to purchase was a Meteor Cylinder kit, Even with that, my expenses will be about 250-270. The saw currently retails for 505.
What would you rather have, cheap Chinese crap or Stihl quality? Most people can do this.
The chinese zenoah clones out cut those little stihls, weigh the same amount and most are trouble free. I get you're a die hard stihl guy but those arent very good ones, try to find a pro saw like a 260 or 261 and them you will know what you're missing out on.

You might point them towards a battery powered saw that uses the same batteries as their favorite brand of battery powered lawn equipment or tools. No carbs to get messed up from ethanol, no risk of straight gassing it (unless they try to use gas instead of bar oil), no plugs to fowl, no intake boots to dry out and crack, not starter rope to yank on. Basically it can sit on the shelf for years and and it will come to life as soon as they put the battery in and pull the trigger. They won't work for what I do, but for a lot of home owners, I think they would be ideal.
It's a good idea but it still come down to cost. To get a battery saw that will do any serious cutting it has to be at least a 40v model and when you have to buy the charger and an extra battery, they can't compete with a refurbished clearance saw or even a cheap new clone from China.

Leave it off with the choke in and give it four or 5 pulls then turn it on, pull the choke and yank without touching the trigger. Try it with the choke in and out. One should work. I guess that's a prime thing. I found this somewhere for my Chinese saw.
What do you think you are achieving by pulling it over with the ignition off? Trying to flood it so it will start easier?

I have a couple of these cheap chinese saws.
Some of them are just like a homeowner 50-55cc husky or stihl saw but dirt cheap.
My joncutter and timberpro and supmix have been fine saws with no issues, I've used the joncutter for 4 years. The supmix I have runs really good but has cheap feeling plastic compared to the other chinese saws of similar design. I did blow the timberpro up experimenting porting it which was my fault not the saws, so now the timberpro's nicer plastic is on the supmix.

I think these saws would sell better and get more respect if they were honest about the cc and stuck a 16 inch bar on them. The 62cc or 6200 models are the good ones but they are really 54.5cc, the smaller 5200 or 5800 ones are often 45cc and some are 50cc.
Thank-you

A few of your posts are what prompted me to keep an eye on the supmix until it was at 150 cad (that was my number, lol). Still only one tank, but pleased at this point. Other than the plastics being even cheaper than I imagined based on your warning. They will survive. I think. I wish it came with a 16" or 18" bar tho. Miraculously, it pulls the 20 well, but 20" bar on 55cc is just wrong, imo. I'll switch a few things around..

This video, together we a couple of yours, sealed the deal in my mind. Pretty grabby chain there too. Huh.

The chinese zenoah clones out cut those little stihls, weigh the same amount and most are trouble free. I get you're a die hard stihl guy but those arent very good ones, try to find a pro saw like a 260 or 261 and them you will know what you're missing out on.
I actually don't think he knows the difference.

Oh, and I'm glad the OP got sorted.

What do you think you are achieving by pulling it over with the ignition off? Trying to flood it so it will start easier?
I got no idea what it does. Only thing I could come up with was a sort of strange priming but I read that in some instructions I found for Chinese saws online and it works for some reason.

So your saying I could pay $250 for a rebuilt saw or buy 2 brand new ones and enough parts online to rebuild them if something happens? I'm not a saw snob. The 'cheap junk" as you call it has started and ran without a problem for a couple of years now. I sure wouldn't use it as my base saw to make money but for a cheap backup or once a month use it seems fine. Fine enough that I just bought a 372xp clone. 3 pulls out of the box to start it and it has run several tanks without a hitch. If something goes wrong I can easily get the cheap parts online or replace with Husky parts. Not everyone has several hundred to several thousand extra to tie up in chainsaws. I'll keep my Jonsered as my main saw but I think the cheap ones have a place for the occasional use. Certainly good enough for a homeowner that wants something to keep in the garage for an every 2-3 yr storm cleanup. To each his own.

Latest posts

Back