just want to learn

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You'll get a lot of opinions on here about which is better, and even some that will say neither and get something else.

Both saws are good. Same class, cut about the same, I think the husky is a little lighter though.

As to which is better, are you comparing to a 440 that someone has for sale or are you just comparing to 440's in general? If so they are both fine saws.

$250 doesn't sound bad to me if it was well taken care of. if possible, pull the muffler off and see if the piston is scored. If it isn't scored, runs good, and all around in good shape, I'd say buy it, and then post some pics:greenchainsaw:

You'll get a lot of opinions on here about which is better, and even some that will say neither and get something else.

Both saws are good. Same class, cut about the same, I think the husky is a little lighter though.

As to which is better, are you comparing to a 440 that someone has for sale or are you just comparing to 440's in general? If so they are both fine saws.

$250 doesn't sound bad to me if it was well taken care of. if possible, pull the muffler off and see if the piston is scored. If it isn't scored, runs good, and all around in good shape, I'd say buy it, and then post some pics:greenchainsaw:
+1 on that reply. Good advice.

thanks! now more questions.

how much is a fair condition 272xp with bad piston and cylinder worth?

are those aftermarket piston kits and cylinders on ebay any good? i know they are low cost anyway.

thanks! now more questions.

how much is a fair condition 272xp with bad piston and cylinder worth?

are those aftermarket piston kits and cylinders on ebay any good? i know they are low cost anyway.

Maybe $80-$100 max. I have never used one off ebay but when I rebuilt my 266se, I got one from baileys. I cant remember exactally but it was somewhere between $120 and $150, and it was about 3 years ago.

I havent had any problems since but I have not ran it that much either, because I got a 7900, which is why I think the 266 quit on me shortly after I got the 7900, because it got jealous:chainsaw:

Go with Bailey's so you'll know what you're getting. There's no telling what the source is on most of the eBay cylinders.

There is one eBay seller with a lot of 272 P&Cs that he says are OEM for about $200 (I'll know in a few days whether that is true or not), but they don't have the decomp.

How bad is the cylinder? If you could clean it up with hydrochloric acid, $35 or so will get you a Meteor piston replacement from Bailey's. Haven't seen anyone have anything bad to say about Meteors.

Others will disagree with me,but I would rather have the 272xp than the ms-440. One is as good as the other but I tend to favor the husky saws myself. Rick!

I've got one of each. I prefer the controls of the 272. That is just personal preference though. They are close enough in power that their is no real difference there.

At first you said good condition 272, then you asked about a scored one. Are there two 272's for sale, or did the $250 one turn out to be cooked?

hey b200 driver, it is one saw, a 272 xp with bad piston and cylinder.

hey 2000ssm6, i don't have a 440 i was just curious about your opinion on 440 vs 272 xp.

thanks for responding.

sorry to be so confusing. i am looking to buy a good used 272 xp for $250. but i was also asking a separate question about the value a 272xp would hold if it had a bad piston and cylinder.

I picked mine up for $130, its runs pretty good but could use a tune up. I'm looking into getting a tach so that should happen pretty soon. I havent pulled the muffler off to take a look at the piston either but I couldnt pass up the price. Just trying to give you an idea of value on an older somewhat rough saw.

I got my 268xp in pretty rough shape for $40. I installed new 72cc piston and cylinder (essentially making it a 272xp), all new gaskets, rebuild carb, then replaced carb, new crank seals, new tank vent, new clutch cover, new bar and chain, new fuel line and filter.

I have quite a lot of time and money into it now but it finally runs good and seems to be a good saw. The learning I got from it was worth it alone, as it was the first saw I did any repairs on myself.

hi also looking for some advise, do you no if you can put a 046 piston and barrel into a 044 thats been cooked?

hi also looking for some advise, do you no if you can put a 046 piston and barrel into a 044 thats been cooked?

It will take a few modifications. The 4 bolt holes in the base of the 046 cylinder will need to be opened up a little to fit onto the 044 crankcase correct. The top shourd will need to be trimmed some. The muffler will need to be spaced out some. The cylinder fins will need to grinded down some to allow for flywheel clearance.

If you can find a good 044 p&c that is eaiser.:D Check that 044's serial number to see if it has the 10mm wrist pin. If it does you will only be able to use a 10mm 044 p&c. If it's the standard 12mm, you can use any of the cylinders, including the 044/440BB and 046/460BB kits.

Latest posts

Back