just when i thought i was done.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chainsawaddict

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
low twenties, rain and snow this weekend. im ready to stop stuffing wood in this stove, but i have to admit im pretty proud of myself, this was my first winter relying mainly on wood heat. I only used about 50 gal of propane al winter (furnace was only on when we left over holidays), and burnt about 6 cords of wood. Its a pretty good feeling, a REAL accomplishment. Its something that you really have no idea about until you actually do it.:cheers:

oh yes, thanks everyone for the tips and moral support!! I guess i shouldnt thank everyone yet, the season isnt over:chainsaw: :givebeer:

Me too. I'm out back looking to bring up next winter's supply when "she who must be obeyed" talks to me about starting a fire tonight. It's supposed to dip down in the thirties with frost, so I guess we can do that.

Me three! I shut the valve off to my propane tank in feb. I still have about 60% since last June.:clap: Screw you propane!!! It is a good feeling to survive the winter off your own labor other than the pocketbook. A question do you guys cut in the summer? I cut most of the winter and am now putting the saw up until next winter??

Been in the low 30's, had to fire up the OWB after a week off. Good thing too, I passed out in the shower Saturday and was in there for an hour. Never ran out of hot water though!!!!:cheers:

had 3" of snow sunday night 23 degrees last night but we stayed warm without the gas man, now if I could only do away with the gas station man:dizzy: I like to cut spring and fall sometimes too much snow and cold here in winter

low twenties, rain and snow this weekend. im ready to stop stuffing wood in this stove, but i have to admit im pretty proud of myself, this was my first winter relying mainly on wood heat. I only used about 50 gal of propane al winter (furnace was only on when we left over holidays), and burnt about 6 cords of wood. Its a pretty good feeling, a REAL accomplishment. Its something that you really have no idea about until you actually do it.:cheers:

oh yes, thanks everyone for the tips and moral support!! I guess i shouldnt thank everyone yet, the season isnt over:chainsaw: :givebeer:

+1 I love making my own heat

My OWB is still running too! I was hoping to be abe to shut it down soon as I am almost out of wood. I have mainly just been heating my domestic hot water, but I am now once again heating my house, it's been cool here in WV. I haven't even started on next winters wood yet!

Pretty good feeling eh CSA, good on ya mon! :clap: :clap:

Weather here has been bizarre, still burning (only heat source we use) but thats normal till mid-May around here, this pic here is last Wednesday, 1" hail, sleet, and monster snow flakes, wind, etc. all that was missin' was a tornado an' a rainbow :monkey:
attachment.php

:cheers:

Serge

Man i feel for you guys up there. It got in the 80s for the first time here I think it was in the middle of March. We have already had a bunch of 70 degree lows and already been in the 90s. So that means by the middle of August it will be like living on the face of the sun. Damn it gets hot.:givebeer: :givebeer:

Pretty good feeling eh CSA, good on ya mon! :clap: :clap:

Weather here has been bizarre, still burning (only heat source we use) but thats normal till mid-May around here, this pic here is last Wednesday, 1" hail, sleet, and monster snow flakes, wind, etc. all that was missin' was a tornado an' a rainbow :monkey:
attachment.php

:cheers:

Serge

Great Picture. No hail here but low 30s tonight with frost warnings. Just cut and stacked over 3 cords of oak for next year. But wood burner is cranked tonight.

Me three! I shut the valve off to my propane tank in feb. I still have about 60% since last June.:clap: Screw you propane!!! It is a good feeling to survive the winter off your own labor other than the pocketbook. A question do you guys cut in the summer? I cut most of the winter and am now putting the saw up until next winter??

I'm in the same boat. Last week I was digging the window fans out of the basement and the last two days I have had to start a fire. I tend to do most of my cutting, splitting, stacking in the winter. I find that the workout keeps me warm enough as long as it is above 20 degrees. I'd rather deal with chapped lips and dry skin in February than sweating my a$$ of in the middle of August but that's just me.

winter cutting

I've always thought wood should be cut in the winter/dormant time because the sap is down so drying time is shortened. that seems to be when I have the most time

I prefer to cut and split in the cold also, but I think there may be some early morning work for me this summer. Given the rising fuel oil prices, I don't want any doubt that I'll have as much wood as I need...probaby going to stock up for the next two seasons, and then some.

Back