K, why the hell does a winch for my bandit 1890 cost 3500 NOT PAINTED/ NOT INSTALLED?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And fuel consumption.. keep it working and it will pay though.

What's another 2-3 mpg. I'm using a 60HP smthn gas powered 150 now. I give more hardwood away than you could shake a stick @, and its a PITA. I'll be able to clear jobs at least 20 percent faster now, more like 30 percent. The fuel pays for itself.

Chipper is up by Niagra Falls NY. The log truck I just got was from Pipersville PA. I'm selling that BTW, holy crap they're expensive to operate, insure and house.... I'll send you pics of the chipper from my email if you'd like to see them. I'm a bit taken aback by it honestly. I went to the dealer local, and the thing is farkin huge.... That and 200 horse, I'm entering a whole new world in terms of production..

yeah you can PM them to me

Well thanks for the ways of the force Obi Wan. It is certainly strong in you. Sounds like you've read the idiots guide to running a tree service, with your business 101 lecture regarding supply and demand. LOL, let's compare P&L figures next year, and see who's who.....

And BTW, you're the one chasing down my threads extending the topic of conversation, so who's crying now?

LOL, chasing down your threads...........No! just all I read from you is a bunch of poor mouthing & crying!! the only thing Ive read from an idiot is what you post!!

P&L figures..........HA! Lil fella, I just purchased me some nice equipment, 5 ton Cat powered dump.....grunt, grunt, grunt & a really nice rollsrite trailer to haul my next new purchase............debating on which one.....skidsteer that is!!

So...........while your complaining about a measly $4000.00 winch....Ill be spending $34000.00 on a new skidsteer.............Im not complaining so why are you? you need it? then buy it!!! in the end it will pay for itself!

There are certain things in this trade that I have complained about in price........but, once you use it & realize how nice that is.......you never wanna go back!

If you really wanna save money......fabricate my man, fabricate! place a mounting block & tubesteel arm with a roller pulley on your chipper, buy a good electric powered winch..........run wiring to chipper battery (marine/tractor/bus grade) mount a switch in a safe location & you get the same result...........much cheaper!!

LXT................

LOL, chasing down your threads...........No! just all I read from you is a bunch of poor mouthing & crying!! the only thing Ive read from an idiot is what you post!!

P&L figures..........HA! Lil fella, I just purchased me some nice equipment, 5 ton Cat powered dump.....grunt, grunt, grunt & a really nice rollsrite trailer to haul my next new purchase............debating on which one.....skidsteer that is!!

So...........while your complaining about a measly $4000.00 winch....Ill be spending $34000.00 on a new skidsteer.............Im not complaining so why are you? you need it? then buy it!!! in the end it will pay for itself!

There are certain things in this trade that I have complained about in price........but, once you use it & realize how nice that is.......you never wanna go back!

If you really wanna save money......fabricate my man, fabricate! place a mounting block & tubesteel arm with a roller pulley on your chipper, buy a good electric powered winch..........run wiring to chipper battery (marine/tractor/bus grade) mount a switch in a safe location & you get the same result...........much cheaper!!

LXT................

Ok, there's some info I can use... What do I reinforce the mounting plate with another piece of steel plate?

Boy sometimes I hate to give out industry shortcuts & modifications, but since you & I got off on a rocky road here goes:

on your chipper (assuming its a self feeder) above the yoke assembly you will need to attach 2 bracket mounts, on my 90xp the set up was already there for the winch..... next you will need a section of tube steel.....length or height will depend on your make & model along with height of forward/rev bar.

I bolted some plate up to the brackets, had a buddy weld the tube stock to the plate, we then cut out an opening to slide winch cable up through....mind you the tube is at an angle/ almost straight......I just eyeballed it, we fabbed in the cable rollers & now the winch...........I bought it out of northern Hydraulics, cant remember which unit, bolted her to the plate, ran some wiring & it works like a charm.......there were lil odds & ends I added (hook clip, grease fittings, etc..)

I think I have.............hmmmm maybe $600-$700 in everything & a weekend! oh & the paint kubota orange matched up real good.

basically what you can do is go to a shop close by & take some cell phone pics, do a lil sly measuring & you can Fab a beastly winch for much less than $3500.

good luck!!!

LXT...............

get a $400 10k Smittybilt electric winch with a remote control (or a 900-1200 Warn), $200 synthetic rope, have a welding shop fab up a mounting plate, drill 4 holes on the top, get 4 grade 8 bolts, hook the cables up to the battery and call it a day.

If you need the bandit winch or want the hydraulic for whatever reason, suck it up and dish out the $$

get a $400 10k Smittybilt electric winch with a remote control (or a 900-1200 Warn), $200 synthetic rope, have a welding shop fab up a mounting plate, drill 4 holes on the top, get 4 grade 8 bolts, hook the cables up to the battery and call it a day.

If you need the bandit winch or want the hydraulic for whatever reason, suck it up and dish out the $$

Don't need the bandit edition, but need a winch. I'll look at decent mounting points when I pick the chipper up.

Electric winches are much slower and will kill the battery after a few pulls, even with the engine on the chipper running.

Electric winches are much slower and will kill the battery after a few pulls, even with the engine on the chipper running.

Bull$%^&!!!!!!!!

It will depend on what ratio you choose, the winch I have is a multi speed type with 3 selections..............range #1 could pull the gates off hell #2- is the best speed & #3 is pretty much used to reel in a very light load or empty cable!!

I have never had a problem with battery drain, the engine running will keep the battery charged as long as it is above 1000rpm`s

LXT...........

The alternator on the chipper cannot charge an electric winch fast enough to keep up if you are pulling more than 3 or 4 loads per hour. The alternator and battery on a chipper (which only has to start the engine) typically has less amps than a truck alternator and battery which has accessories to run plus start a normally bigger engine.

Below is some info on electric winches which I cut and pasted. As usual, I speak from experience in seeing electric winches used in pulling piles on branches. They were slow and drained out the battery to the point that it could not start the engine. The hydraulic winch on my old 18X chipper pulled at least twice as fast and could do it constantly all day. Unless you are going to pull only a few loads or have the pulls spaced out, I stand by what I stated earlier. Maybe LXT's electric winch is different, but no way will it work as hard or fast as a hydraulic winch.

Battery

Though not a built-in part of an electric winch per se, batteries are directly connected to electric winches and have enough of an impact upon winch performance to merit some consideration.

The problem is that stock batteries are designed primarily to start your vehicle, but may not be suited to handle the discharges required by winching. As a result, it’s best to keep your engine running during pulls to prevent a complete battery drain, but even then you should be wary of heat buildup due to prolonged winch operation.

Thankfully, there are solutions to this dilemma. Premium battery units like marine or spiral cell batteries are specifically designed to serve as dual purpose starting and deep cycle batteries. The Optima Yellow Top battery and Pro Comp HDX are good choices here.

Otherwise, getting the biggest and highest rated battery can only help you for powering a winch in recovery situations. Oftentimes, some gearheads will add a second battery to their vehicle devoted solely to winching, or perhaps add items like a battery isolator or solenoid to better manage the available power for winching.

Alternator

Alternators are an often overlooked component when it comes to winching, as the output of your alternator can both help and hurt winching performance.

Typically with any stock alternator, winching for extended periods of time at maximum output can cause the alternator to overheat and fail. As usual, upgrading to a premium alternator with a higher output can resolve this issue. But also make sure to also upgrade the electrical cable in order to handle the load of a heavier electrical current.

A Note About Amp Draw

The max amp draw for a winch motor is typically around 400. Higher amps than that would damage the battery or power source. To lower the amps, the gear ratio must be increased. This reduces the amp draw on the motor, but unfortunately it also reduces the line speed, making for a slower winching process.

You will never be able to install an alternator that will keep up with the draw an electric winch will place on the battery, this is a loosing battle. What you will need to do is keep a close watch on your battery and not pull beyond the available amperage supplied by the battery. You must wait while your battery recovers after a pull to make certain that you do not drain it. Another good option is to run dual batteries but this is not required.

Ohhh Koa..............your statement is true, BUT...........not the whole truth!

I too have much experience in the use of winches, 1st off an electric winch will be fine as I highly doubt that the thread poster is gonna be dragging "full capacity" more than 3-4 times an hour with it!!

you have to realize your average electrical winch is capable of pulling 8000lbs up to 100ft depending on model(i just chose the average), if your hooking up to that kinda load more than 4 times an hour..............you dont need a winch.........you need a front end loader & a triaxle for that kinda debris, not too mention you better have a big chipper.....pulling 8000lb loads would prolly have the chipper being dragged sideways!! ohh thats right hydraulic units have limited side pull.........unless you go with an H series through who ive mentioned below!! but then again & as usual some will forget key points about selecting a proper "all around tool"

there are modifications you can add to your system, stepdowns, step ups, electric cooling units, amp regulators, surge controllers, etc.... I have used mine many times & never had a problem........I chose my electric winch over a hydraulic unit for numerous reasons...........however if you want a hyd unit you can pick one up under a grand with up to 9000lbs pulling power from mile marker winch systems!

truth is............electric is easier to install, easier to fix & in my opinion having ran a hydraulic winch on a chipper for the utility in ROW maintenance...........Id prefer the electric!!! you modify it & you`ll see/ however........the hydraulic unit for under a $1000.00 is good too...........personal preference, Ive ran both, both are fine........I just dont like when someone mis-informs cause they lack experience!!

I highly doubt that on the Island of hawaii your hyd. unit drags anywhere near what my electric unit does in PA.............you let me know when you have had to tie 150ft of 5/8 rope onto your cable/hook & do multiple setups to get the debris up to the chipper..........hell ive pulled loads prolly equal to half the distance of the length of your island several times in a day!!!!!!!! oh...did I mention through the woods & up hill?? LOL

LXT............

Last edited:
Back